Author Topic: The Carrolls of Worcester  (Read 42330 times)

carroll girls

• Just Moved Here
The Carrolls of Worcester
« on: January 13, 2008, 06:14:37 PM »
Hello Members of the Worcester Irish Genealogy Group,

My sister and I (The Carroll Girls) are trying to find out where in Ireland our father's family emigrated from.  We are planning a trip to Ireland this spring and would love to know where we might have relatives.

The only information we have is what is contained in our paternal grandfather's obituary of July 21, 1915. According to the obit he lived and died in Worcester. We also have his obituary from The Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

We would also like to research our paternal grand mother but know virtually nothing about her.

We would like to hire someone in the Worcester area to do the research for us. Could anyone give us a referral?

Thanks for your help. And any other suggestions are truly welcome.

Lynn and Christine

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: The Carrolls of Worcester
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 03:19:38 AM »
You don't need to pay anyone if we all can help you for free!

You do need to give us whatever info you do have, please.

From my database here is my Carroll information.  These people may or not be related.

Mrs. Mary C.  Casleconner, co. Sligo died 1881 (O'Flynn says 1861-believe his date)
Bernard c. (her husband?) 1827-1897
Joseph C. born 1802 Mullinavat  Kilkenny  Invisible immigrants.
Thomas C. Rathdowney, Queens Co.  died 1870 had a sister Ann Carroll Whalen
James C. Ballingary Co. Limerick died 1886  (O'Flynn said her was a carpenter)

Do remember that Marie Daley of NEHGS an expert in irish genealogy, says that you are much more likely to find out place of origin in the US records than over in Ireland.

Do any of these people seem right?  There could be more details about each once we home in on the right people.

Give us your grandmother's name and we'll give it a go.

carroll girls

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 02:53:28 PM »
Hi Merski,

Thanks for your speedy reply.

This is what we have on my grandfather:

From the Evening Post, Thursday, July 22 1915:

"James J. Carroll, a resident of Worcester many years, died in his home at 30 Orchard Street yesterday morning of pneumonia.

He was an attendant of St. Ann's Church.

He leaves his wife Annie A. (Quirk) Carroll, two sons James J.and John A. Carroll, four brothers, Patrick of Worcester, Thomas of Newport R.I., John and Michael in Ireland, four sisters, Bridget, wife of William O'Keefe of Boston, Margaret, wife of Vincent Daley of Chicago, Mrs. Mary Hehir and Miss Kathrine Carroll of Ireland. 

The funeral will be held from the home of his brother Patrick Carroll of 228 Chandler Street Saturday morning with a  high mass of requiem in St.Ann's Church at 9 o'clock."

And from the Copy of the Record of Death from the commonwealth of Massachusetts:

" Name of Deceased: James J. Carroll   Age 32, 2 months, 20 days (The Date of Record was July 26, 1915)   Birthplace: (unknown) Ireland

Name of Father: Martin Carroll       Birthplace (unknown) Ireland

Name of Mother: Bridget Dowd     Birthplace (unknown) Ireland

Place of Burial: St. John's Cemetery, Worcester, Ma"

We also believe that our grandfather spend some time in the Worcester State Hospital as I did find someone with his name on a census record which I cannot locate at this moment.  And we had heard rumors about his "nervous condition".

If I locate any more I will forward it on to you.

Anything you can find or suggest is appreciated.

Lynn and Christine

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 04:52:28 AM »
Hello Carroll Sisters,
I found James on an immigration record arriving in 1903, passage paid by brother Patrick, Worcester Ma.  His last residence is GORT.  If you provide an email, I will email you the passenger list.  I also found Martin Dowd who was living with Patrick in 1910.  Martin immigrated in 1909, last residence Gort, left behind his Uncle Patrick Connors, Rathtorp, Gort. 
It might be helpful to have the dates of births of James/Annie's children.  Did they spend time in an orphanage?  Also, are you researching from the Worcester area, you might find more information on Patrick's naturalization records.
PS, I have family from near Gort, so when you go maybe you can take a few photos for me.

Cheryl

carroll girls

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 07:24:49 AM »
Dear Cheryl,

You folks are amazing!!  Thank you so much.

And yes, our father and his twin brother (James and John) were in an orphanage in Worcester.

My e-mail is    lynnegbok@aol.com.

I  am going to look for Gort on the map.

We will be back in touch soon.

Thanks again,

Lynn and Christine.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »
Where is Gort???

when were Brother Patrick and Thomas Born?  They may have signed WWI draft registrations which will also say where they are from.  Also Carroll Girls, if James died and left a will or probate record, it may even give the address of the family in ireland!

Found a James Carroll in worcester who appeared to be 20 years older...could that be an uncle?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 05:09:44 PM »
I found a US passport application for Patrick Carroll, James' older brother.  It looks like he was born in Tubber co. Clare.  This is part of the Burren and not really very far from Gort Galway.  This application says that Martin, the father was also born in Tubber.
Patrick was naturalized on Oct. 13, 1903.   The Burren is a very nifty geological area in Clare.  Clare is one of our favorite counties...great trad music Doolin, cliffs of Moer (sp)   by the way Tubber's formal name is Kilkeedy

carroll girls

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »
Dear Merski,

As I said before, you guys ROCK!!!.

Grot and Tubber!!! What great names.

We will have to do some research on these places.

How can we get access to the records you mentioned?  And are there any fees we can pay for photocopying, faxing, etc. Please let me know.

Just, FYI, I (Lynn) live in Santa Monica (right next to Los Angeles) and my sister (Christine)  lives in Winchester. Mass.  Isn't the internet the greatest.

Thank you again for all your help.

Oh, and is there any possibility you could locate anything about our paternal grandmother, the Annie Quirk mentioned in my original post? We know nothing at all about her other than that she may have died in the Worcester State Hospital.

After my grandfather died, she put my father and his twin brother in an orphanage. (I'll have to look ion my papers to find the name of it.  I actually visited there as it still exists as a home for troubled boys nowadays.)  She visited them every Sunday and they cried bitterly each time she had to leave.  She did take them out after a few years (I will have to check my papers to find out exactly when).  I believe she remarried but I have no information.

Thanks again for everything.

If you do send me any attachments, do let me know as I am not always good at retrieving them.

Thanks so much for all your help. 

Lynn

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 02:00:25 AM »
Did they get put in Stetson Home?  That's in my home town Barre and started off as a home for troubled Boys.  I might be able to get some info for you if you can give me some dates.

Found Patrick's birth on familysearch.org   Patrick Carroll   born 26 Feb. 1866 Corrofin Co. Clare parents Martin Carroll & Bridget Dowd

I tried to find the other siblings but was unable,

You might send for that record and get the additional info it provides.  Also send for the baptismal cert. which may have other info.

I thought I read or heard that the Clare County Library has great online resources,

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 02:45:19 AM »
Morning all,

In 1920 census, the boys are in the Nazareth Home in Leicester, MA

I have found nothing on the girls, Bridget or Margaret, or Thomas (maybe in New Jersey latered).  I did find Patrick was married to a Catherine and later Anastasia.  His naturalization records should be fairly easy to find. 

I will list the family members I have found on ancestry.com Boston Passenager List, one was on www.ellisisland.org (I think Michael 1897).  I will send you the links but I think you can only open something like three before they deny you access.  You could go to your local library or get a free 7 day trial and print everything off. 

County Clare does have a wonderful website www.clarelibrary.ie (I believe that is it) 

I felt that Patrick b. 26 Feb 1866, 0255, Corrofin, County Clare to Martin and Bridget (Dowd) was too early but looks like that's is him.  Good work Merski.  You can send for all the birth records.  I have in my notes the following address but check it, I don't know how old the address is.  BMD Department, Community Care Services, 25 Newcastle Road, Galway    Also, the East Galway Heritage Center does research, google it, but I don't think you are going to need that. 

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 03:04:56 AM »
I may repeat myself because I was writing a post and went back to see what I wrote yesterday and now can't find what I was working on.

Boston Passenager Lists
Michael April 1897, b. 1869, to brother Patrick, Southbridge St.
Michael April 1904, previously in Boston 1902, to brother Patrick Southbridge St.
Martin Dowd April 15, 1909 on the Saxonia, to cousin James Carroll, box 745 Whitinsville MA
Now for the paydirt:
Thomas Carroll, April 15, 1909, Saxonia, age 19, leaves behind James Carroll, Roo, Gort, Galway to brother James Carroll box 745 Whitinsville MA

Hmm, now that I am typing this out, I thought Thomas age 19 in 1909 was your Thomas because cousin Martin is also travelling to James in Whitinsville (which may not be Whitinsville at all but Worcester, I have had some relatives give the correct street address and say it was in Webster, MA)  I have not been able to locate Thomas age 19 on the 1910 census or James in Whitinsville or Worcester. 

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 03:16:18 AM »
There are two Carrolls, James b. 16 June 1883 Gort, immigrated 1907 and Patrick Carroll, b. 17 March 1882 who state their father is James Carroll of George St. Gort.  They give this information on the US Passport Applications in the 1920.  By the way, when you go to the library check these out because they have pictures on them, same as the one Merski found for Patrick Carroll.  Relatives? or I have been following the wrong lead?

The Latter Day Saints have a great website www.familysearch.org.  You can order church records on microfilm to review in their centers.  Click on Search, Library Catalog, Placename, Kiltartin, part of Galway.
Baptisms, 1848-1862; marriages, 1853-1861; baptisms, 1854-1884; baptisms and marriages, 1862-1863. -  FHL BRITISH Film [ 979691 Item 3 ]
You will probably also want to get the films for Tubber and Griffiths Revised Valuation report which will trace the ownership of the land in Roo. 

As far as Roo, Gort:  www.valoff.ie will show you who the "current 1990s" residents are, there is a Michael Carroll and Michael Hehir.  You might want to write them a letter once you have confirmed the information with baptismal records.  Also in Roo, there is a local historian Tom Hannon who might help if the above two don't; and I have the right townland. 

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 03:34:19 AM »
Cheryl, we should go into business together!

I went and signed up on the clare county ireland library discussion board and saw a listing for Tubber.  It is a geographical area that encompasses pats of upper clare and southern galway.  You should most definitely sign up and start posting.  Someone on that board is probably the local equivalent of us in Worcester.  Who knows you may even may an internet friend as both Cheryl and I have and visit with them when you go to Ireland.  Boy! There's nothing like a local for showing you stuff like cemeteries old house sites etc. 

Don't forget Clare and Galway are two different counties so when you send for Patrick's bith record, use Clare vital records address.  I have an address and will look it up when I've got more time.

Also someone wrote a history of Tubber that you can send for 15 euros  also on that library discussion board.

We're glad that the Carroll girls are appreciative.  Hope to meet the Massachusetts sister at our library get together!

carroll girls

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 03:08:11 PM »
Dear Merski and Cheryl,

As usual our thanks.  A lot.

I am going to try to absorb and follow-up on all the information you have sent us.  It will probably take me a few days to sort it out and go to the websites you mentioned.

I told my sister (Christine)  you were planning a meeting in February and she will try to make it.  What exactly is the date and time and place?

We are both excited about actually finding some relatives.  We just obtained our grandfather's obituary about five years ago.  That told us that we actually had relatives .
Before that we thought there were none as my father and his twin brother were placed in the orphanage by their mother, and not with a family member.

Now, we find out that we have relatives and we may be able to actually visit some of them.

Please let me know how I can get copies of all of the documents you mentioned: the passenger list, the naturalization application, etc.  And any costs involved.

And as I said, let me know in your email or post that you are sending an attachment so I can be sure to retrieve it.

Hope you folks are not too snowed in. It was 70 degrees here in Santa Monica today. 

Lynn

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 05:48:04 AM »
Got on the Clare library website and hit paydirt on the Carroll family in the 1901 census!

Townland:Kilcorcan
Parish: Kilkeedy
DED: Boston
Union: Corofin

Martin Carroll 58  Farmer
Bridget (wife) 60
John 29
James 20
Thomas 15

This IS the family!   I'm so excited for you "girls".  You will be able to go straight to Kilcorcan (think neighborhood rather than village) and you will be walking the road your ancestors walked!  I'd practically kill to be able to do that.  May I make a suggestion?  Try to stay in a B&B as close to Kilcorcan as you can.  Ditch the car and walk everywhere!  We did when we've been to ireland (4x) it slows you down and literally connects you with the place and the people.  You owe me a glass of wine!