Author Topic: 1900 Census  (Read 4157 times)

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
1900 Census
« on: August 06, 2007, 03:52:28 AM »
  Speaking of Ancestry I just spent a few days going through Ancestry's offering of the 1900 Census for Michael J. Curtin. I simply can not find them in a Census which really might be helpful to me and the only Census I can not find them in.

Michael and Margaret did not come to the US until after the 1880 Census. They were married in Boston in 1889 and then at some point moved to Worcester by the next year when their son John Francis was born. My feeling was that they moved here because her family, the Maroneys, particularly the eldest sister, Mary, married to James Hoy in 1876, was living here. Recently I discovered who I am fairly certain was an uncle, Patrick,  living here in Worcester-he died here in 1904. His informant was Bridget Downs who I believe was the marriage witness for Margaret in Boston  and who turns out with further investigation was the daughter of Susan Maroney.

Their daughter Ethel (and for some reason Michael and Margaret decided not to follow the Irish naming pattern and name her Lucy) was also born in Worcester but for some reason they moved to Providence Rhode Island at the time where their third daughter Lucy was born. However they appear to have been back, according to the directories by the early 1900s. Now we know that virtually none of the 1890 Census exists-not a major issue since I am positive they were here in Worcester at the time but where was the family in 1900?

My question is -since Ancestry does not have an entry for them anywhere in the US-is there another site I can try more New England specific -since I have to try both Providence and Worcester-1900 Census. For some reason the Worcester directories on Ancestry get a bit piecy around 1900 and honestly there are a number of Michael Curtins in Worcester which may or may not be mine. I need the Census to determine where they were a bit more firmly since there will be five people to counterconfirm that it is the family since all the children were born by 1900-the youngest, Lucy, being 6.  The brief move to Providence was obviously work related although I still don't know specifically why. I sort of suspect they had returned to Worcester by then.

The 1900 Census would be informative to have because it would give me birth months-a nice little bonus of that particular Census.

Munchkin8085

• Just Moved Here
Curtin's in Worcester
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 02:14:48 AM »

I'm checking on the Curtin family-  Mary (Queally born Ire.) Curtin, daughter Delia (Curtin born Ire.) Callaghan & Kate Duggan. Delia died Worcester MA, unk. any info on Kate and Mary.

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
Re: 1900 Census
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 03:37:33 AM »
 Unfortunately I seriously doubt you are related to my family of Curtins because frankly my research, after all these years, seems to indicate (except maybe in Ireland which I can't seem to access very much not really having a specific area in Clare to investigate) we are a small, relativefree Curtin branch.

However, my strong suggestion to you, is to try to get in contact with Margaret Curtin at the Curtin family genealogy site.

http://curtinclan.info/

Margaret has worked extensively all around the world and has resources that not many have access . My family branch of Curtins has been a real egimna to her since she can not connect us to anyone in Ireland. But she is able to connect a lot of the Worcester and Lowell Curtins to families in Ireland. She may be able to help you. I have not had contact with her for a number of years but she has always been cordial when I have asked for help previously. She has traveled around the world to acquire this information and goes several times a year to Ireland.

The Curtins for the most part seem to have come from Cork area ( I had a very lively discussion with a funeral director of an old funeral home in Boston which buried a lot of the immigrant Irish around the 1900s).  He kept saying look to Cork even though I kept telling him that one of few things we did know was Michael J. Curtin  was definitely from County Clare.