Author Topic: East Kendall Street School  (Read 26743 times)

Roger Ek

• Just Moved Here
Re: East Kendall Street School
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 11:49:30 AM »
I began kindergarten at East Kendall Street School. in 1946. Our teacher was Miss. Rothmitch. One of my classmates was David Hakkala and we had the same birthday. We will be 70 next week. Our first grade teacher was Miss Fitman and second grade was Miss Lyons. There was a huge pile of cinders up by the street from the coal furnace. We all had to be vaccinated for smallpox and we lined up by grade. The used the same needle on everybody.

Around 1980 I went back to Worcester to show my sons the old school and there was a sign on the property; "Vacant Lot". The school was gone! It was a rugged old brick building with a slate roof. The snow used to come off the roof in great surges. On the way home we would stop at the spa and buy balsa gliders for two cents. The gliders were more fun than penny candies. I was interested in aviation even then. I became a Naval Aviator.

In 1947 I watched a cow buffalo give birth to a calf at Green Hill Park. I loved the woods. In 1950 we moved to Shrewsbury and I was really happy to get out of Mrs. Callahan's class. She did not like Protestant kids.

PatriciaJ

• Just Moved Here
Re: East Kendall Street School
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Wow I remember many of these names.  I was Patty Johnson.  Now I go by Patricia.  I moved back to area a couple of times, once at home on Hooper St. and then in the 90's I worked downtown and lived in Shrewsbury.  I moved to Western MA.  I went to U. MA and I like the area.  But I miss the days in Worcester. No necessarily in my youth at East Kendall, but later, when I got older, and went on on my own.  Hope to talk to some of you old friends I knew growing up.