Author Topic: Park Ave  (Read 4853 times)

Rob

• Just Moved Here
Park Ave
« on: July 15, 2007, 06:09:52 PM »
In mid-1970s I had a summer job pumping gas at Old Colony Gas Station located at the north end of Park Ave, across the street from the City bus garage.  This was a summer of gas lines and was before self-serve pumps were invented. I worked 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. shift by myself, and I kept four hoses pumping. This summer there were only 1 or 2 other gas stations open in Worcester after 5 p.m., and business didn't slow down for me until after 9 p.m.  Drivers often asked for directions to destinations deeper into the City, and their route usually was along Park Ave, so to facilitate giving directions I wrote a list of traffic signal intersections on Park Ave and numbered them. At a glance I could tell them how many lights to count driving down Park Ave. The only tricky signal was the flashing light at the awning company -- whether or not to count that as a traffic signal.

jim28518

• Been Around Awhile
  • 1966 comet
Re: Park Ave
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
Believe that flashing light was at Charlotte or Downing Street way down Park ave near Webster square. I also worked pumping gas as a student in the 50's 60's, and having to give directions quite often. That idea you had to number the light was good.

In mid-1970s I had a summer job pumping gas at Old Colony Gas Station located at the north end of Park Ave, across the street from the City bus garage.  This was a summer of gas lines and was before self-serve pumps were invented. I worked 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. shift by myself, and I kept four hoses pumping. This summer there were only 1 or 2 other gas stations open in Worcester after 5 p.m., and business didn't slow down for me until after 9 p.m.  Drivers often asked for directions to destinations deeper into the City, and their route usually was along Park Ave, so to facilitate giving directions I wrote a list of traffic signal intersections on Park Ave and numbered them. At a glance I could tell them how many lights to count driving down Park Ave. The only tricky signal was the flashing light at the awning company -- whether or not to count that as a traffic signal.