Author Topic: Duggan family Dromavally Kerry to Worcester Mass  (Read 4672 times)

Clare Tuohy

Duggan family Dromavally Kerry to Worcester Mass
« on: October 25, 2008, 02:42:59 PM »
I am new to this site - just found a link today. Looking for information on a Duggan family who emigrated from Dromavally (Farmer's Bridge area ) of Kerry c. 1880 -1890 to Mass. My grandaunt Mary McGuire married Denis Duggan of Dromavally in 1892. Through some Duggan relatives in Mass Mary McGuire Duggan arranged  for my aunt Anna Healy /Kerrisk to move to Mass where she did her nurse training.
I believe this was the family of Daniel Duggan - occupation tailor -who was living with his wife Mary and 5 children Julia Walter Arthur Edwin Mary -niece Catherine Barry -Patrick Hogan father-in-law -Thomas Hogan brother-in-law in Cambridge St Worcester per 1910 US Census. An Anna Healy -occupation maid -is listed as lodging with a Thayer family in the same street. John Thayer and his son Denis's occupations are given as general practice which I assume means medical doctors. This would fit with my family information that Anna stayed with a doctor's family when she first arrived. By Nov 1918 she had completed training at Cambridge Traiining School for Nurses. Her US passport issued  in 1928 when she returned to Ireland gave her address as 90 Hamilton St Dorchester Mass.
At least three of the children of Mary McGuire and Denis Duggan moved to Mass. Daniel b. 1894 in 1914 and was possibly the Daniel Duggan occupation policeman living with wife Helen children Dennis John Joseph and brother Jeremiah in Centre Ave Boston per 1930 US Census. Sister Hannah came to Boston in 1923 as a 23 yr old.  would welcome any information on either Duggan family.
Clare Tuohy
e-mail annclare@gofree.indigo.ie

Sloinne

• Just Moved Here
Re: Duggan family Dromavally Kerry to Worcester Mass
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:48:48 AM »
Helen

Got e-mail and attachment. To get a response is wonderful but so quickly is just unbelievable.
Again many thanks.
Clare

Sloinne

• Just Moved Here
Re: Duggan family Dromavally Kerry to Worcester Mass
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 01:17:45 AM »
Helen

Thanks again The marriage information for Daniel Duggan and Mary Hogan 4 FEb 1894 is very helpful and am sending for a copy of the marriage cert. The Daniel R Duggan found on NEHGS is not the Daniel that immigrated in 1914 as his parents were Denis Duggan and Mary McGuire I found him on a passenger list. Am interested that John Thayer was a lawyer not a doctor as I thought general practice would mean medical practice. The Anna Healy showing in 1910 working as a maid I'm convinced is my aunt Anna.
 I reread your post and just realised that you have given the probable parents of Daniel Duggan and Mary Hogan so don't need to send for marriage cert. Note the occupation for Daniel is pressman not tailor but the rest of the information fits.
Again thanks

Clare