Author Topic: Shea  (Read 35133 times)

darp56

• Just Moved Here
Shea
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2006, 12:18:43 PM »
I am looking for information on the Lawler family of Worcester, late 1800, early 1900.  I have a 1901 DC for my great grandmother, Kate Lawler.  Kate's parents were Michael Welch and Margaret Shea.  I see alot of Shea's mentioned on the boards here. I'll have to check that out!

Kate's husband was Ed Lawler and they had 5 children:  Fenton, John,  Margaret, Catherine (my grandmother) and Fredrick (and maybe an infant girl).

In 1900, they lived at 80 Market Street, Worcester.  Kate died in 1901 and I can't find her husband.

The kids were split up with Catherine (my grandmother) going to live with Thomas, Patrick and Margaret Cahill.  (I think I saw a board for Cahills also and am wondering if Margaret Cahill and Kate Lawler were sisters.)

Wondering if there are any relatives out there?   

shiloh

• Just Moved Here
Re: Shea
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2006, 06:31:13 AM »
It has been my experience that the first son was named aftet the father's father.  Eventually, there would be a straight line of first sons with the same name.  Later sons would name their sons in the same manner.  When these sons started school, there might be 2-3 of them with identical names.  In these cases, in Ireland, the teacher would add a middle initial to their names or even a full name.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2008, 03:21:53 AM »
Well kids, I finally bit the bullet and have hired the New England Genealogical & Historical Society to try to find the irish origins for Dennis & Mary (Callaghan) Shea on the first anniversary of my mother's death.  Hopefully all of those candles and prayers will pay off.  I'll let you know.  It is rather ironic that I can help others but haven't hit the jackpot myself.  Wish me luck!  Will know in about 6 weeks...tick, tick, tick.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 02:56:48 AM »
Thanks!  I love the puzzle of genealogy...the pieces HAVE to fit for me to trust them.  I just hope when NEGHS gives me their results that I can trust it.  Cheryl and worcmik are much more deserving than I am in terms of helping others, but they seem to have uncovered their family history,,,

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 04:26:20 PM »
merski, others,
I still have branches that I know little about, (sometimes for lack of looking) and there are a few brickwalls as they say. I have stopped looking hard for my family info while I play around with the mid 19th c. history of Worc.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 11:39:50 AM »
GREAT NEWS! ;D I just got the package of info back from the NEHGS.  My Shea line is from county Kerry and most likely from Kenmare!  All those candles (and the $ I put towards the problem) paid off!  I was so close on my own...I hadn't looked up the naturalization papers for a brother at the NARA, so when NEHGS did it for me it sai he was from Kenmare and I know it's him because a brother in law, Thomas Mara stood as witness to him.  I'm going to have to get someone to research at the National Library in Ireland because there parish registers are not available through the Mormons, but I'm so happy to be at this place!  Thank you all for your prayers, candles and support.   And it just goes to show you "Look Up those Naturalizations!!!!"

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2008, 08:22:47 AM »
Congratulations MaryEllen!!!!  Something exciting to more forward on!! Cheryl

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2008, 08:57:18 AM »
very happy for you, John