Author Topic: Dennis Leary  (Read 6582 times)

Richard Smith

Dennis Leary
« on: August 31, 2004, 03:50:43 PM »
Does anybody know anything about the actor Dennis Leary.Heard on leno tonite that he says he is from worcester.  Just curious

Neil H. Donahue

Re: Dennis Leary
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 10:19:22 PM »
Dennis was related to one of the Worcester firefighters killed in the Worcester Cold Storage fire Dec. 3 1999 Also was friend of Lt. Tommy Spencer who also was killed there.
He has formed  this foundation  to help Worcester and other places to help Firefighters .
Remember the Worcester 6
Link below ---good luck... and yes he's a Worcester boy
http://www.learyfirefightersfoundation.org/

Jay Meara

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 06:46:33 AM »
In his pay-per-view special, Leary told the story about how as a small boy he lived in a three-family house off of Main Street in Worcester.   He used to walk to the corner of Main Street and push the "Walk" button, then run back down his street.   The traffic would stop, then as the light would turn green, he would go back and repeatedly push the same button until traffic on Main Street was completely snarled.    He said that one day, he was finally picked up and brought home by the cops.  He was only four years old at the time.   The way he told the story had the audience laughing so hard (he peppers his delivery with a lot of 4-letter words, etc., too).

When Leary was discussing his skating effort to support the firefighter fund, he discussed his fond memories of how he was introduced to skating at age four by being brought to Elm Park, and how he skated in a "pee-wee"-level hocky program for several years at a rink that used to be somewhere near Webster Square.   Leary said that one time while at Elm Park, he became so cold that he told the audience, "I said to myself, 'F**k this, Why does anyone enjoy freezing their a** off to skate!!?"    

Leary's street-level humor and his Worcester roots are a great combination, and his show is now on DVD.

Becky Giordano

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 07:03:53 AM »
I saw the pay per view special that you mention.   It was an absolute riot.   I couldn't stop laughing.

Dennis Leary is not as young as people think.   He looks like he's in his early thirties, but he's 47 or 48.

In the HBO special, the street he mentioned where he lived at that time was "Wyman" or "Wiman" Street (sp).    He also lived on some other streets.

Another actor who once lived in Worcester was the guy from the Police Academy comedy movies with Leslie Neilsen.   His name is George Kennedy.   He lived on Sterling Street, and on VH1  Star Interview he spoke about living in a three decker and how he could see DC-3's take off from the Worcester Airport.   He was very cool.

tpb

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 04:56:37 PM »
Sure.  I went to school with Dennis Leary: St. Peter's.  In 6th grade, he and I were cast in the St. Peter's High School production of Mame.  He played the role of Patrick Dennis - a major part.   It was his first break.  Look at him now.

Thomas