Author Topic: Flanigan, Flanegan, Flannigan, Flannegan.....  (Read 7461 times)

whichzelda

• Just Moved Here
Flanigan, Flanegan, Flannigan, Flannegan.....
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:24:35 AM »
I am searching for any information on the Flanagan brothers, Patrick, Lawrence James or Michael and there could be more.  They were here in Worcester by the late 1860's.  Lawrence was my great grandfather and his first wife was Ellen Twomey.  James married a Katherine Fogerty.  Michael may have never married and James last known address was in Everett, MA in 1882.  My grandfather remarried in 1890, to Annie McDermott Callen.  It was a second marriage for both.  And that is how I came to be, from his second marriage.  The Flanagans were also related to the Forrests of Spencer.  Lawrence's mother Mary Forrest and Ellen Twomey's mother Ellen Forrest were probably sisters.  While Ellen Forrest had married Michael Twomey by 1937 and were living in Leicester, MA,  both passed within weeks of each in 1847 and their children then lived with the Forrests of Spencer.  I do not think that Lawrence's parents John and Mary Forrest Flanagan ever came to America. The only lead I have is what was written on Michael Twomey's headstone at Tatnuck, that he was from Killeagh County Cork.  I have found a reference in Griffith's land Valuation 1848-1864 for Ireland which lists a John Flanagan Jr. and a Mary Flanagan living in Drishane More Killeagh County Cork Ireland as well as a William Forrest living in the same place.  I think William may have been the father of the Forrests from Spencer.  I know this is confusing and I apologize.  If any one has knowledge of any of these names, I would love to hear from you.  I am going to add a few more names to the list, as these are marriages of Lawrence's children from his first marriage.  So here goes....Flanagan, Forrest, Twomey, Coley, Hines and Guerin. Thank you for letting me ramble.....and Happy holidays to all.

whichzelda

• Just Moved Here
Re: Flanigan, Flanegan, Flannigan, Flannegan.....
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:14:20 AM »
Just a quick update on my Flanagans....I found my great grandfather's baptism record on the Mallow Heritage site for Cork County Ireland.  He was baptizzed in Killeagh, the son of John and Mary Forrest Flannagan.  And his first name reads Laurence and not Lawrence, as is on most other documents.  This site is not for the faint of heart, as it is quite expensive to use if you do not have alot of information to go on.  I also confirmed the marriage of Michael Twomey and Ellen Forrest in Killeagh.  Whlie I did get some extra information with these two records, it is sketchy at best.  But it is a start.....so anyone have family in Killeagh, County Cork Ireland????   

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 04:20:46 AM »
Looking up O'Flynn's collection (at Holy Cross College)

St. John's cemetery transcriptions (don't recall when O'Flynn did them) some stones are unreadable today.

Martin Flanigan d. 1 Jun 1871  ae 24  Glinmagh Co. Cork
Francis  son of Francis and Ann 6 Jun 1858  ae 13y 9mo
Michael 12 Feb 1860 50 yr

under the name Forrest:
Hannah wife of Michael Smith 11 Jul 1896  54yrs
William   Dinshanemore Killegh Co. Cork  12 Jul 1860  40yrs
Joseph 20 Mar 1859 about 4yrs by John   (3 sons born in Spencer)
John 17 Apr 53  about 8yrs, William  23 Mar 1853 about 6yrs.

under the name Twoomey
Bartholomew  Coens Co. Cork  14 Feb. 1859 ae 75
Mary his wife 17 Oct 1860 ae 65
Mary daughter of Michael       Barth. son of Jeremiah  11 May 1860 ae 20

whichzelda

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 05:05:48 AM »
Merski Thank you so much.... :)  I am not so sure that Martin Flanigan is one of my Flanagans but I will surely keep it for further digging.  Also, I have confirmed my Michaeel Flanagan as passing in 1904 and I have actually located his resting place in St. John's and viewed ihis death record.  He was without a doubt a brother to my Laurence.  I have also located Jame's burial spot also in St. John's but I have yet to get his death record as he passed in 1917, I think.
As for the Forrests, yes, they are all mine.  I really feel that their father, William, remained in County Cork as I find a William Forrest on Griffiths 1848-1864 and he was living in Drishane More, as listed on the headstone at St. John's.   
As for Bartholomew Twoomey, I really must look his info up.  Did I mention I am related to two lines of Twomeys??? or maybe just one as the dates are one hundred years apart.  lol  Anyway, I find it quite interesting that all three families were in the same place at the same time and I think I passed through that area 10 years ago, on my trip to Ireland.  Just wish I knew then what I know now. 
Again , may thanks for looking this up for me.

whichzelda

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 05:08:36 AM »
I must correct an error in my first posting...Patrick, brother of Laurence Flanagan was living in Everett MA...not James.  James was here in Worcester, on Millbury street all of his married life.

whichzelda

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 04:31:01 PM »
I've tried to locate Coens County Cork and have found no reference of such a place.  I can't hep but wonder if Bartholomew Twoomey's headstone might have read Cloyne, Co Cork.  Also the Forrest headstone should read Drishanemore.  Funny how spellings can make you crazy....
I'm wondering if Bartholomew was a relative of Jeremiah Twoomey executed at Gallows-green in 1767.  Just because of the Jeremiahs in Bartholomew's family.  Just a thought...

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 02:05:54 AM »
Yankee stone carvers....illiterate poor irish speaking immigrants....a sure combination for misspellings.  I would email a library in county cork to help you.  It could be that that is a townland and not a parish.

whichzelda

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 03:53:20 AM »
I will look up libararies today and post back any response I get.  Thanks for the tip...