Author Topic: Looking for A. G. Coen & Co or A. G. Goen or Goes  (Read 4256 times)

Russell Barley

Looking for A. G. Coen & Co or A. G. Goen or Goes
« on: April 02, 2002, 06:19:19 AM »
I have an old hammer wrench stamped with the name A. G. Coen & Co, or A. G. Goen or Goes Company, Worcester, Mass. The date is either 1971 or 1921. I thought that if it were 1971 maybe they would be in your yellow pages today, but no such luck. Maybe someone knows about this company. I would appreciate any info you can come up with. Thanks, Rus

Carol

Re: Looking for A. G. Coen & Co or A. G. Goen or G
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2002, 06:58:50 AM »
I think you mean the A. G. Coes & Company and the date is probably 1921.  It was located in Worcester, MA in  the Webster Square area.  The Coes brothers also invented the monkey wrench.  For more information you may want to try the Worcester Historical Society or the Worcester Public Library.

K.Rowe

Re: Looking for A. G. Coen & Co or A. G. Goen or G
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 07:55:24 AM »
Coes factory was located on Coes Pond ... right on Mill Street in Worcester. The factory is no longer there... The remains were there years ago.. but it has been a while since I've gone by that way. I think the remains of the factory burned down.. the burned section may still be there... I'm not sure.  I hope this is useful information! Take care. :)

Here is a little blurb on a website that I found, concerning "Firsts" in Worcester:
Monkey Wrench ? 1840 ? Worcester
Invented by Loring Coes. Coes Knife Co. was in business in Worcester?s Coes Pond area until the 1990?s.

taken from the site: http://www.centralmass.org/unique-facts.html