General > Information Wanted

Corner store = Spa

<< < (2/2)

jim28518:
I left Worcester in 1970 and remember the many corner "spa".
Do people still call them a "spa"?
It's A word that has changed, much like the words "frap" and "tonic" which you got at the local "spa".
Should someone want to talk with a 71 year old about Worcester, send me an email.
jim28518 at yahoo dot com.

ErnestTrustys:

--- Quote from: jim28518 on March 05, 2014, 06:20:01 AM ---If you lived in Worcester, well into the 1960's, you knew of a local neighborhood spa.
They were the then 7-11's, a place to get a newspaper, e cigarettes, loaf of bread, etc.
Our local spa on West street also had a back room with a phone to take racing bets, and you could also pick 3 numbers before there was a State Loto.

--- End quote ---
Well my mother used to live in Worcester in her school days and she used to tell lots of such interesting story..

Prosperos Daughter:

--- Quote from: jim28518 on March 05, 2014, 06:20:01 AM ---If you lived in Worcester, well into the 1960's, you knew of a local neighborhood spa.
They were the then 7-11's, a place to get a newspaper, cigarettes, loaf of bread, etc.
Our local spa on West street also had a back room with a phone to take racing bets, and you could also pick 3 numbers before there was a State Loto.

--- End quote ---

My Mom used to bet with a bookie who had his unofficial office in a spa somewhere near Chandler @ Park Ave IIRC. She had me pick two # for the daily double when I was 11 and we won $26.00 That was a lot of money to me back then (1963.)

Dan Granfors:
Hillside Spa, corner of Eastern Ave.& Belmont (locals called it "Nishas"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version