Author Topic: Worcester Maroneys  (Read 13490 times)

cheryl

• Townie
Re: Worcester Maroneys
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 04:16:25 AM »
Corky I hope this helps with dates for Michael Doyle.
7/5/1870 Joanna Doyle listed in the Worcester register but born in Boston
              to Michael Doyle and Margaret Falvey
3/15/1876 Daniel Doyle born in Worcester, 4 Boland Court,
              to Michael Doyle and Margaret Falvey
Cheryl
clabre1068@aol.com

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 10:27:24 AM »
  Thank you very much Cheryl. It certainly appears that the Doyles moved from NH to Boston then to Worcester.

Thank you very much. Where did you find the Boston information, if I may ask.

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 04:37:53 AM »
  Just came up with another Maroney connection last night.

In the various Curtin obituaries several other names keep coming. I finally connected in rather aroundabout way Frances Hoy who appears to have married John Thomas Brady in 1908.  Florence Guerin nee Hoy, daughter of Joseph Allen Hoy (his mother is Mary Hoy nee Maroney-my husband's great grandmother's sister)listed a cousin Bernice Sullivan. I don't know how or why she does. From what I researched the Bradys appeared to have no children at least by the 1930s when they were in the forties.

However the Bradys lived with a William Bransfield and his wife who did have a daughter Bernice and they are listed as in laws. Bransfield seems to have had some connection to the baseball league in Worcester-he lists his occuapation as umpire among other things. That would have a connection to my husband's grandfather, John F. Curtin who played with a Worcester baseball league in his youth. His wife is listed oddly as Lulic. I thought this may be the last remaining Hoy daughter Lucy but in Bernice's obituary-she died in 2004 that appears not to be so.

HOWEVER I am researching the possibility that Lucy married into a family of O'Learys (Ancestory is not very co-operative with Irish names with the O'). In both Curtin obits Raymond O'Leary is listed as a pall bearer. I did find in the 1930 census a Lucy living with a Bridget O'Leary. She is listed as a daughter but also there is a grandson Raymond at 22. He is there in the 1910 as 2.  I am wondering if Lucy was a very young widow and decided to stay with her mother in law instead of returning home. Mary Hoy was already raising her granddaugher Florence whose mother had died-their oldest son Joseph's daughter.

There is another O'Leary listed in Margaret Curtin's obit -a John T. O'Leary but he seems to be out of Boston. The Worcester O'Learys have a John as well but he is listed as John F. The Maroneys have a Boston connection with Patrick H. who never seemed to move to Worcester unlike the rest of the family. He had several daughters-perhaps this is one of his son-in-laws. I have never been able to fetter much information out of the Boston branch.

The other possiblilty is that Lucy married a Ryan-Edward T. also listed as a pall bearer for Michael.

I do have to get to the WPL to examine the obits there-a few of the ancestors died previous to 1930 but my guess is a lot died in the period between 1930 and 1940. Right now I am making great inroads into my own family Portuguese line in New Bedford as well as my mother in law's Alden/Lester line so I have kind of put the Worcester branches on the back burner. I seem to be getting a bit more information that the Curtins did hail from the Ennis area of Ireland but I still need paper confirmation there.

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 04:49:53 AM »
 Well it appears (okay I broke down and got the Sullivan obit) that it was Lucy Hoy who somehow morphed into Lulie Hoy who married William Bransfield. So the sisters Frances and Lulie(Lucy) shared the same house and Bernice is indeed Florence's cousin.