Author Topic: Worcester Maroneys  (Read 13491 times)

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
Worcester Maroneys
« on: December 04, 2005, 03:13:03 AM »
In my research connected to the Curtin lineage I have discovered even more Maroney connections than I had thought. Since I have really had no great success going down that road I thought I would try another route.

My husband's great grandfather Michael J. Curtin-supposedly from County Clare (no concrete confirmation thus far) met and married Margaret A. Maroney in Boston 2/18/1889. Her parents were Michael Maroney and Lucy Killeen from someplace in Ireland-presumably County Clare as well. She was born approximately in 1866 in Ireland, immigrated sometime around 1884/1885 to Boston and died in Worcester on 9/7/1932.

On a visit to St. John's Cemetery in Worcester, Mass we discovered a brother buried in the Curtin grave site, Jeremiah Curtin-born 1871 in Ireland, immigrated approximately 1885 and died in Worcester 2/2/1955. He appears to be unmarried. Margaret had 2 daughters, Ethel and Lucy and a son John.

From an obituary I acquired recentely I discovered several other siblings, Cornelius J of Worcester (he and her brother -in -law James Hoy served as witnesses for Michael's naturalization in 9/18/1887), Patrick H of Boston and a sister, Mary (Maroney) Hoy of Worcester.

I gathered a few more tidbits -I think -through HeritageQuest-from the 1900 and 1910 census. It appears Mary Maroney,born in Ireland 8/1853, married James Hoy in 1876, immigrating around 1869. In 1900 they appeared to live on Ford Street (that is the address given in Michael's naturalization papers as well in 1887) and had 7 children- Joseph(3/1877),Lucy(I think-the writing is very unclear-1878), Frances(7/1879), John (9/1881),Catherine (12/1884),Maud (1/1887) and Theresa (4/1894). I could not find the Hoys in any other Census but I do know that John W. Hoy served as both the Curtins pallbearers.

I found what may be the Cornelius Maroney in the 1910 Census who appears to have been born around 1868, married to a Margaret in 1899 and immigrated in 1894-naturalized soon after. He is listed as a laborer in the Waterworks. Three children are listed-Helen(1899), Mary(1901) and  John (1903). Again a John T. Maroney was listed as a pallbearer .

Not including Patrick who is going to be difficult to find in any Boston Census the family ranking seems to be-Mary, Margaret, Cornelius and Jeremiah. And American immigration seems to have extended from 1869( Mary seems to have been just 13) to 1885. And how all this fits into the Irish naming pattern,considering the parents were named Lucy and Michael alludes me but it could be assumed this was a big family-some staying in Ireland,some perhaps died before 1932. Birth dates go from 1853 to 1871-19 year span.

If this sounds like anyone else's connection to a Maroney line I would appreciate any information you could share-especially anything Irish!

Thank you.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Worcester Maroneys
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 04:09:08 AM »
From my database...  David Maroney born in Ballykissane Kerry died 1916 age 74   His wife Mary Wrenn born in three rivers Mass. died 1905  age 60

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 07:24:58 AM »
  Thank you but unfortunately no David/Mary combination has surfaced in my research.

Maybe I am wrong but aren't Cornelius and Jeremiah unusual names for an Irishman?

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 09:39:35 AM »
No, they are common enough names for the Irish at that time.

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 06:12:00 AM »
  I think I may have found Patrick Maroney. He appears to have immigrated in 1868 and that would indicate that Mary followed her brother here. He may be the elder sibling born in May, 1850.

IF this information is correct he did not marry till 1890-this is from the 1900 Census. His wife was Annie who is 17 years younger than him. Four children are listed- Michael T (and considering Irish naming patterns that would be right-Michael Maroney being the father of all the US Maroneys) born 9/1893; Mary E born 2/1892 (again following the naming pattern there are alot of Marys so that is possible), Annie born 4/1895 and Katie A (there was another Catherine in the Hoy family) born 3/1898.

In the 1870 Census I found a Mary A. Maroney-18-which would make it right. She was 16 not 13 when she immigrated working at a domestic servant in a home in Boston. Interestingly there is an Elizabeth Maroney also working there-24- another relative?

IF Patrick is the eldest then we are extending births of the Irish Maroneys from 1850 to 1871,nearly 21 years-entirely possible if the Lucy (Killeen) Maroney married young. Therotically even this Elizabeth could be a sibling extending it another 4 years. As a woman the thought of 25 years child bearing is quite exhausting. A possiblity and quite a large family-one you would think would be easy to find even in Ireland.

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 12:20:44 PM »
  Thank you -no I didn't. I strongly suspect that is why some families seem to get lost in census. A little e here and one not there.

Oddly Cornelius signed his name as Moroney-at least that is what it looks like. The naturalization papers are incredibly difficult to read. For occupation Michael Curtin put down what looks like "peddles {illegible 2 letters}tntes. James Hoy signs it just that way-Hoy.

Alas after all my waiting for those papers and the obits from the Telegraph library I am still no further in discovering where either the Curtins or the Maroneys came from in Ireland beyone family talk which said Michael at least came from Clare.

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 03:09:35 AM »
Corky,
I did find the listing for Hoy in the census. 
1880 161 Exchange Street; I think you had this listed in an earlier post from a street directory; this Hoy family is James 27, Mary 25, Josie 3 and Louis 2

1900 2 Ford Street, James Hoy 1853, Mary 1853, Joseph to Theresa listed
1920 2 Ford Street Mary Hoy age 65
1930 51 Maywood Street Mary Hoy

1910 9 Upsala St. Michael Curtin, Mary, John, Ethel and Lucy
1920 9 Upsala St  Michael Curtin, Mary, Ethel and Lucy
1930 11 Fruit St Michael J 65, Margaret 67, Jessie Wells 35 and Ethel Wells 34

1920 Park Terrace road (listed under Curth) John Curtin 30, Mabel 25, Ed, John
1930 71 Upsala St. John Curtin, Mabel, Everet (Ed), John, Walter

1920 Francis X Bolac b. NY, wife Mary b. NH; Walter, Ethel, Fred, Francis

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 12:29:23 PM »
Thank you. I don't think the first one is Maroney connected.

James Hoy did sign his address on the naturalization papers as Ford Street. It appears James seems to have died between 1900 to 1920. Mary was still alive by 1932-that was when Margaret died and Mary attended. That's new information.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 03:42:28 PM »
Corkey,
You don't think the Exchange St. 1880 family is the same as the Ford St. family in 1920? Joseph and Josie, Louis (Louise or Louisa) and Theresa. James's age works out Mary's just a two year difference. I would take another look. I know there are alot of people there/then, but...

JJ

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 01:41:55 AM »
 Well I don't know if Josie is a knickname for Joseph but in the 1900 census I thought the second child was Lucy-which if you take into account the naming pattern that would be right.  I am not 100% sure it is Lucy but it does end with a " cy" at the end.

I mean it could them -sometimes it is just so hard to tell.

Since people are being so kind as to looking up census. I have been trying for a few weeks now (and I did report the errot to Ancestry) the 1880 Census results for Michael Doyle-wife Margaret(Falvey) Doyle and working for the railroad. It keeps coming up error. He is 35 born around 1845 Ireland. I am hoping this is my husband's great-great grandparents. I need to see if there are children listed-especially Mary A who would be 16 and I did find one who worked in a boot shop. She was born around 1864 in Nashua,NH and I am trying to figure out when exactly they moved to Worcester.

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 02:56:08 AM »
Hi Corky, I came up with an error processing message also but if you do a search for Doyle in Worcester it will list all Doyle families as a group.  This is what I found:
Michael 1845 Ireland, Margaret 1839 Ireland, Mary 1864 Mass, Annie 1870 Mass, Johanna 1871 Mass, Julia 1875 Mass, Daniel 1876.
When the Massachusetts Vital Records come back to the NEGHS website maybe you can look up these children and find a mother's maiden name.
Cheryl

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 04:59:53 AM »
C
   Given the age of the Josie and Theresa in 1880 and the 20 years between records... They could have both moved away or died. The "children" in the 1920 census may both be less than 20 years old. Births in the vitials?   luck, John
ps.nice Doyle find too, cheryl

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 12:37:29 PM »
Thank you very much Cheryl for looking that up for me.

I do know for a fact that Mary was born in NH. That is from her own daughter but then,alas, unfortunately the records we find are not always spot on as well. I think that may be them. I do know that she had a younger brother Daniel. But it does look like they arrived in Worcester by 1870.

We ( my daughter and I are the genealogical sleuths in the family) are having a similar problem with another family branch. Matter of fact it involves the same state and similar time period as the man Mary eventually married-where in NY state exactly they were born. You can't send for a birth certificate if you don't know where to send.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 01:48:03 PM »
C,
    "I think that might be them." ? Records can get a fact or two wrong. Very ofter mistakes stem from abuse of the ditto mark, but mistakes can have any number causes. Don't get hung up on a name or a place of birth that doesn't fit.   John

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 02:16:58 PM »
  Very true. The Curtin,for example, changes spelling from Curtin to Curtain.

Which is part of the problem with the NY births. Several of the family researchers (coming from different directions and families) say the NY birthplace does not fit -yet every census comes up with NY so I think we have to more or less concede that was where he was born even though he seems to have spent most of his life elsewhere.

I have read so many different kind of stories on different sites how people discovered point of origins for example. One individual at an Irish forum I subscribe to had actually hired an Irish researcher who was grave hunting. In asking for directions the person he asked saw the picture of the grandmother of the family he was researching. It turns out the person he was asking directions from was a member of the family and the very same picture was hanging in her living room. Sometimes it just is lucky happenstance, I guess.