Author Topic: Calling all Worcester Irish reseachers!  (Read 16502 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Calling all Worcester Irish reseachers!
« on: April 21, 2005, 01:37:41 PM »
I'm hoping this new forum, courtesy of ChuckyG will help us to connect and not only help each other but to share some of our findings.  At a meeting at the Worcester Public Library where 20 people showed, we all taked about some kind of forum to share research and to ask for help and ideas.  Well, here it is!  If you would like to join up we're happy to grow.  This forum may also be interesting for irish Worcester descendents who haven't started their family histories. 

Bernard_Heavey

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Calling all Worcester Irish reseachers!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 06:10:18 AM »
Hi All:

I have been trying to find information on Michael L. Heavey who lived in Worcester, across from St. John's Catholic Church, but have not been successful.  He was married to Annie Harrigan, had daughters Bridget, Mary, Amelia, Sarah and a son Bernard Joseph Heavey.   

If anyone can get any information to me pertaining to the family I would appreciate it.

Bernard J. Heavey Jr.
Heavey0420@AOL.com

Bernard_Heavey

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 06:12:18 AM »
Hi Again:

I would like to know if anyone knows about the Irish Foresters, or where their records might be held.  My grandfather, Michael L. Heavey belonged to them.

Bernie Heavey

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 06:46:17 AM »
Bernard what years are we talking about the Heaveys living neat St. John's Church?  Are you living anywhere near worcester because the worcester public library has lots of vital records fro 1840-1900.  Funny you should mention the Forrestters because TIARA The Irish ancestral Research Assoc.  (go to their website) were given the records of this organization and need help with organizing it for research use.  I don't have any Heavy' in any of my records...Can you give us a few more details?

Robin

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 10:24:26 AM »
I'm hoping this new forum, courtesy of ChuckyG will help us to connect and not only help each other but to share some of our findings.  At a meeting at the Worcester Public Library where 20 people showed, we all taked about some kind of forum to share research and to ask for help and ideas.  Well, here it is!  If you would like to join up we're happy to grow.  This forum may also be interesting for irish Worcester descendents who haven't started their family histories. 
Hi,
This is my first post. I hope I'm following protocol. I'm interested in the family of Maurice Dee. They lived at 180 Perry Street in the 1920's and 1930's and had a daughter Helen born around 1904, I think. If anyone knows where they might be buried, and particularly what became of Helen, I'd be very interested.
Also, the sister of Maurice, Anastasia, married a James Powers. Anastasia's and Maurice's mother, Margaret,  lived with the Powers as of the 1920 census. Again any info on possible or conjectured burial sites would be appreciated.
The Dee's were from the Ballyduff/Kilmeaden area, County Waterford.
I guess I can be reached at jreid@wesleyan.edu
Thanks.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 02:59:42 AM »
The worcester public library has a free Worcester Telegram newspaper online.  You must have a library card # to access it.  It doesn't go way back in time.  I typed in anastasia powers and got several hits.  I'm wondering if that's your family.  I emailed one or two obits for you to check out.  Most worcester irish are buried at St. John's cemetery.  I don't know if they have email or a website.  You can call them at 508-757-7415 or write to them 260 Cambridge Street Worcester, MA 01603     If you write, just ask for 1or two burials and include a self addressed stamped envelope to make the reply easier on their end.  I'm in the process of moving out of my house (yikes!!!) otherwise I could help you more....can anyone else give some info to our worcester "cousin"?

Robin

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 05:19:05 PM »
The worcester public library has a free Worcester Telegram newspaper online.  You must have a library card # to access it.  It doesn't go way back in time.  I typed in anastasia powers and got several hits.  I'm wondering if that's your family.  I emailed one or two obits for you to check out.  Most worcester irish are buried at St. John's cemetery.  I don't know if they have email or a website.  You can call them at 508-757-7415 or write to them 260 Cambridge Street Worcester, MA 01603     If you write, just ask for 1or two burials and include a self addressed stamped envelope to make the reply easier on their end.  I'm in the process of moving out of my house (yikes!!!) otherwise I could help you more....can anyone else give some info to our worcester "cousin"?

Many thanks for the replys. Lots to think about and follow up. Good luck with your move.
JDR

graiguearush

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 05:19:35 PM »
I am the great great granddaughter of Brigid KIRWAN, who was, I think, the daughter of John KIRWAN & Anne MURRAY.

Brigid KIRWAN was born at Graiguearush (which we all thought was Gregrush, because of pronunciation), Waterford, Ireland in we think 1856 or 1857.

Graiguearush is in the county of Waterford, the civil parish of Fews, the Poor Law Union of Kilmacthomas, the Barony of Decies without Drum.

Graiguearush is 6 miles due south of Rathgormuck & Kilmacthomas is about 7 miles south south east.

My family has photographs taken at various photographic studios in Worcester, Mass. in about the 1890s of various KIRWAN family groups. 

The photographers/studios included: 

HF DANIELS, 3/33 Main Street, Worcester (1882)

A'FLYNN & SHAW, 244 Front Street, Worcester

HB TUCKER's Mammoth Studio, 397 Main Street, Worcester.

Brigid KIRWAN's sister, Josie KIRWAN, married a Mr GREEN.

John KIRWAN, possibly a brother of Brigid KIRWAN, wore the regalia of Hibernians in about 1890.

The handsome Edmund KIRWAN married at about the age of 23, & moved to New Zealand.

There was lovely "Aunt Nanno" (maybe she was Nanno KIRWAN, or Hanora KIRWAN?), photo taken about 1890 at Mammoth Studio.  She _may_ have married a DEE, making her Nanno DEE, or Hanora DEE.

I would love to hear from anyone with any connections to any of the above people.

This is my genealogy page thus far:  http://www.zynnyadesign.com/genealogy.html .

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 04:02:56 AM »
I have  Search for missing Friends postings in the Boston Pilot (vol. 6 p446 &293)  "i11 Jan. 1868  Lokkiling for Nano Kerwin from Skregyrish parish of Fews (Fries) Co. Waterford   Daughter of Nicholas & Catherine Kerwin came to us a year ago last august Write to John Fahey 17 Winter Street Worcester.  another listing  Pierce Kiwan left queenstown (ire) about 4 months ago worked in a dry goods store and then left for america.  Son of same parents as Nano.  Mother wants to send him money.  Contact James Lacey 21 Summer Street worcester.

This sounds to be your family even though the spelling of location and names is off.  Some people who transcribed the message just did phonetic guesses.  Have other co. waterford Kirwan stuff.  Would you ming setting up a new subject heading called Kirwan which will help us all help you.   I have not met many people who actually have ancestors in these postings in the Boston pilot...congrats.  Where do you live?   Merski

traveler

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 06:13:24 PM »
Hi All:

I have been trying to find information on Michael L. Heavey who lived in Worcester, across from St. John's Catholic Church, but have not been successful.  He was married to Annie Harrigan, had daughters Bridget, Mary, Amelia, Sarah and a son Bernard Joseph Heavey.   

If anyone can get any information to me pertaining to the family I would appreciate it.

Bernard J. Heavey Jr.
Heavey0420@AOL.com
I sent an email off line with the 1910 and 1920 census entries for this family.  Do you need the 1930 if I can find it?

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 03:33:04 AM »
 Well I am continuing to try everywhere for this information. I might as well try here. What I am looking for is information concerning Michael J Curtin who married Margaret A. Maroney sometime in 1889 in Boston. By the end of 1889 they had moved to Worcester, Mass where their first child, John F. was born on December 4. I am awaiting a few vital records through the mail hopefully to answer my question as to where Michael or Margaret came from in Ireland. He appears to have come to the US through Boston after serving a time with with Cold Stream Guards in 1883. Someone who is helping me with the research seems to believe she came a few years later -again through Boston. 

From city directories they seem to have lived in the Upsala and Fruit street area and he seemed to have worked as a truckman or laborer. For some reason after 1891 they seemed to have spent some time in Providence, Rhode Island where their 3rd child, Lucy, was born in 1894. They seem to have returned to Worcester by 1910.  Both died in the early 1930's and are buried in St. John's Cemetery. Her mass was celebrated at  St. Paul's ;his at St Magaret Mary's. Their son John went on to teach at Worcester Trade and his sons as well as himself were known in the Worcester baseball school system.

While I have alot of records of the Worcester time I can not seem to find the Irish connection -so far -on documents I have in my possession. Since I am leaving for Ireland in a few weeks -and still waiting for more documents from here and there I was curious-since I am out of area-if someone could aid in my search as to where in Ireland either Michael or Margaret came from-if anyone knows or has seen anything that might give me a clue. I do know through family stories it was from County Clare but unfortunately no town. Thank you.

Bernard Heavey

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 01:11:13 PM »
Bernard what years are we talking about the Heaveys living neat St. John's Church?  Are you living anywhere near worcester because the worcester public library has lots of vital records fro 1840-1900.  Funny you should mention the Forrestters because TIARA The Irish ancestral Research Assoc.  (go to their website) were given the records of this organization and need help with organizing it for research use.  I don't have any Heavy' in any of my records...Can you give us a few more details?
Hello:  My grandfather and family lived by St. John's from 1897 to at least 1925.  My dad was an Altar Boy there, but when I checked they had no record of the family.   I tried TIARA, and still belong.  They had been helpful with some research I was doing,but we seem to hit a wall.  The Foresters they have are not from Worcester area, yet.  Hopefully they will find them.  I enjoy reading all the  postings.
Have a Happy New Year.   Bernie Heavey

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 04:15:25 AM »
I too am interseted in the Worcester Forresters records at TIARA.  These records would be invaluable for folks like us who want some deatails...I'd like to arrange to go there and look at what worcester records they have for my database.  Bernie...don't give up!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 01:42:57 PM »
OMG tell me how to get onto this capecolleen, I subscribe to ancestry.com

Bernard Heavey

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 12:02:22 PM »
Hi All:

Bernard J. Heavey Jr.
Heavey0420@AOL.com
I sent an email off line with the 1910 and 1920 census entries for this family.  Do you need the 1930 if I can find it?