Author Topic: Higgins family  (Read 24475 times)

mike higgins

• Just Moved Here
Higgins family
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:46:48 AM »
My great grandparents; maurice and margaret higgins lived at 32 Lake Avenue in 1900.  The home was continually occupied up to the death of my grandfather in 1953.  Stupid request, but is there a dwelling still there?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Higgins family
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:12:36 AM »
Mike if you can post a link to a old photo of the house, it may help someone close enough to go for a look for you.  Where were your Grandparents from in Ireland or were they born here?  We're always interested in details.  This location is very close to Umass medical Center which is HUGE!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »
From 1900 census record I saw Maurice was born in ireland c.1831 and emigrated c1850-51
he married Margaret O'Keefe c.1855.(where???)
They had a son James born in 1861 in Worcester, so I know they were early arrivals.  Most of the O'Keefes from my database were from county Waterford.  I live in Barre and there's a pretty famous family of Higginses...perhaps you're related.
If you don't know where Maurice (morris) was from in Ireland, you can get his naturalization records...

mike higgins

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 08:38:34 AM »
My great grandparents; Maurice and Margaret Higgins lived at 32 Lake Avenue in 1900.  The home was continually occupied up to the death of my grandfather in 1953.  Stupid request, but is there a dwelling still there?

Oh my God!!!  You folks are wonderful with the info you've provided me.  I live in Richmond, Va. and I'm planning a trip to Worcester (Woostah, for you nor'easters).  I'm going to visit each one of you and; wax your mailboxes, burp the baby and armor-all your kids bike tires !!!!!

To merski #1, #2;  Yes Maurice was from Ireland, arriving in New York 11 Dec. 1851 aboard "Onward".  I think that he was from Cork, but I'm so new at this that I fear the complications of researching Irish records. 
You have given me a piece of the puzzle that I've been struggling with for months; my great grandma's maiden name "O'Keefe".  Margaret died about 1906 and I don't know where she or any of my people are buried.  Maurice had 11 children, 9 lived to adulthood.  Maurice Jr. was born 1859 and died before the 1860 census.  Emma was born about 1867 and died after the 1870 census.  Wm F., James P., Thomas J., Margaret, Johanna, John (my grandfather), Annie M, Katherine A., Mary E. all lived to adulthood.

Thomas and Mary E. were teachers in the Worcester public schools and Thomas was principal of Canterbury St. school for a number of years.  Mary E. taught at Lamartine St and Bloomingdale schools.  2 of Thomas's children, Helen J., and Thomas Jr. were teachers also.  His son Lemuel was a dentist and his youngest; Charles R. was a commercial artist.

The treasure trove of vintage photos that I remember as a kid have all been lost and I'm groping for anything that I can find.I was about 5 when I met my grandfather for the one and only time and I remember the house being big and white with black shutters and a porch that went about 1/2 or 3/4 around the house.  He had only one son, my dad, and they weren't really close.  But I remember my grand dad and his two sisters; aunt Kate and Aunt Annie and grand dad wouldn't take his arms from around me all day.  I felt very, very special...and then he died.  Dad never talked about the family and I'm well into my 60s and I know more now than I ever did.  Enough of that.

To capecolleen:  Thank yo so much and I would very much like to have the email, if you would be so kind.

Maurice was a railroader and I believe that the first train wreck in the U.S. involving the deaths of passengers involved a Worcester and Providence Train.  I remember bits of a story and I think that he had some role in it.  I also remember a card with Elizabeth Cady Stanton's name on it and I know now that it was probably a ticket to her abolitionist appearance in Worcester in the late 1850s.

Enough, I cannot thank you folks adequately for your kindness and generosity as I am a novice at this.  I am forever in your debt.

Mike

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 10:45:30 AM »
Hey! No problem!  I found out more!!  There was a Patrick Higgins who worked also for the Railroad who lived in Worcester born in Ireland c. 1811 died 19 Oct. 1874 had a wife named Mary and also had kids AND a son named Maurice!  When he died it said his parents were Maurice and Margaret Higgins.  I'm thinking he might be an uncle from the birth age given,  O'Flynn lists a Patrick Higgins from Castlemartyr co. Cork   Also there was a Michael Higgins very early in Worcester buried at Tatnuck Burying Ground from Castletown Roache Co. Cork. other Higgins data suggests Waterford, Sligo and Mayo

There were actually 2 James Higgins born in Worcester in 1861 one to Maurice and Margaret (O'Keefe) Higgins
and get this! one to Patrick & Mary (O'keefe) Higgins   wonder if 2 brothers married 2 sisters.

Your Maurice Higgins was naturalized before 1900, so you will know where he came from and when on his papers.  You'll need to look it up on the index.  It will give hopefully at least a county if not a town and where he landed and when.

I'd be willing to meet you at the "Wosta" library if a time good for both of us can be arranged

Please give me the death date of your Maurice Higgins and I'll check with an acquaintance at St. John's Cemetery. He was 68 in 1900 so don't tell me he died in 1958!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 10:53:24 AM »
Helen I wouln't have looked it up if I knew you were!

mike higgins

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 07:37:27 AM »
To Merski:
Okay, I won't tell you he died in 1958...how about 1959??  Seriously, I believe Maurice died Feb. 21 1921.
Okay, be patient with me because I'm as dense as a rock sometimes.  I'm having a hard time connecting the dots on your second sentence; "and also had kids AND a son named Maurice".  Maurice's mom and dad were Patrick and Mary?  "When he died it saidhis parents were Maurice and Margaret Higgins."  Could this be Maurice Jr. who is listed on the 1860 census and died?

I can't thank you enough, all of you.
Mike   

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 12:01:12 PM »
Do you have the names of your great grandfather Maurice's parents?  If you get his death certificate or have his marriage cert to Margaret o'Keefe or his obituary, it may tell you that.

What I was trying to say is that there was an older man named Patrick Higgins also living in Worcester who might be an uncle to your great Grandfather .  This man was also in worcester early in the 1850's and also worked for the railroads.  He even named one of his sons Maurice. He may be related but isn't your great great grandfather. This man I believe was the one Richard O'Flynn wrote about...who was from CastleMartyr County cork born March 1814, emigrated to Eastport Maine in 1837 came to Worcester and Naturalized 21 June 1847.  When he died in 1874 his death records say that he was the son of Maurice and Margaret (   ) Higgins.

Sorry, I get so excited by finding out this info that I don't make any sense when I'm putting it down.

I'm in the process of hopefully getting a cemetery record for you from St. John's using the death date of Margaret O'Keefe Higgins (your great grandmother)

mike higgins

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 07:19:10 AM »
Do you have the names of your great grandfather Maurice's parents?  If you get his death certificate or have his marriage cert to Margaret o'Keefe or his obituary, it may tell you that.

What I was trying to say is that there was an older man named Patrick Higgins also living in Worcester who might be an uncle to your great Grandfather .  This man was also in worcester early in the 1850's and also worked for the railroads.  He even named one of his sons Maurice. He may be related but isn't your great great grandfather. This man I believe was the one Richard O'Flynn wrote about...who was from CastleMartyr County cork born March 1814, emigrated to Eastport Maine in 1837 came to Worcester and Naturalized 21 June 1847.  When he died in 1874 his death records say that he was the son of Maurice and Margaret (   ) Higgins.

Sorry, I get so excited by finding out this info that I don't make any sense when I'm putting it down.

I'm in the process of hopefully getting a cemetery record for you from St. John's using the death date of Margaret O'Keefe Higgins (your great grandmother)

Not your problem, it's mine because I do get a little "thick" at times !!!  I can't thank you enough.  I'm going to try to get those records, again, thank you
Mike

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 08:18:10 AM »
Which records are you getting?  If you can wait a few days I'll be able to get the cemetery listing.  It would be great for you to get the naturalization record though.

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 05:41:07 AM »
Hi All and Welcome Mike,

If you don't already have the naturalization records, Maurice Higgins Vol 3-594, May 9,1857, Worcester Mass Supreme Judicial Court age 28 years; no other information on the index card

Patrick Higgins, 316 Vol 1 year 1847, June 23, 1847, Court of Common Pleas Worcester MA, age 33.

Helen, on genealogybank.com looking at the blurbs, there is an article about one of Maurice's sons who had a run in with a dog.
September, 8, 1958.   I forget what I put in for the search, maybe Higgins and only searched the Worcester Spy.   

The Worcester Public Library will send you obituaries since you have the date.   

Google Maps have Streetview of Worcester.   When searching 32 Lake Ave, it puts you in the back of the building on Colburn Ave and you need to manually move the cursor-man to Lave Ave.   If it is the correct building, it is now home to Colonial Pest Control.   

Cheryl

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 09:16:55 AM »
Sorry about that Helen; it is in the Lowell Paper

I checked off Massachusetts, Higgins, include Worcester and 1858.   The article says the son of Maurice Higgins of Worcester but I don't think it comes up when searching Higgins, Maurice.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 12:21:30 PM »
Hi All,
A few records:
A gent names Patrick Higgins (26yrs.) married Hanora Murphy (24) on Feb. 21 1841. Witnesses were James Sullivan and Mary Ann Boner. Patrick and Hanora had a daughter Margret born on Nov. 30 1843. A married 29 year-old Hanora Higgins died on Dec. 10 1845, she left a widow named Patrick .
It is possible that the witness, James Sullivan, is the one that married Ellen Higgins on Nov. 13 1845. (Thier witnesses were John Duggan and Ann Hart.) They had at least a couple kids (Mary and Jerimiah in 1846 and 1850 respectively).
It is possible that the witness, Mary Ann Boner, is the one that  married John Laverty or Lafferty (a 21 yr-old shoe maker) on Aug 12 1841. (Their witnesses were Philip Lafferty and Mary A. Cassidy.) They had children.
A different Partrick Higgins (note his marriage date and the death date for Hanora) married Ellen Curley on Feb. 2 1845. Witnesses were John Barret and Anastasia Phinton. (no info on Anastasia, a John Barret buries a child in Tatnuck and a John Barrett marries Catherine Flanigan on Oct. 22 1846. (Witnesses: James Shenby and Mary Early.) They had a child James Barrett in 1847.
And of course there is the Higging/Coleman Railroad deaths that may be recounted in a story here on this forum.
This all seemed too early for Maurice's family but ...

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 01:59:04 PM »

Mike...here is info on burials so you'll be able to find obits and even the grave at St. John's when you come ;)

St. Paul section, Range 9, L0t #81

Purchased 4/16/1914  by Miss Annie M. Higgins

Burials:
Mrs. Margaret Higgins  11/3/1914 and Higgins children  interred (moved)
11/3/1914.....note Margaret and children were moved from section 6-9-B..they
were originally interred 8/31/1908

Maurice Higgins  age 89 interred 2/22/1921
Evelyn F. Higgins age 66  interred 10/20/1933
Mary E. Higgins age 64  interred 4/8/1936
John B Higgins  age 86  interred 2/16/1954
Annie M. Higgins  age 97 interred 2/12/1963
Katherine Higgins  age 94   interred 3/2/1968

Michele  :)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 02:31:16 PM »
Woo-Hoo! I just cut and pasted from an email....new skills!