Author Topic: O'Dowd/Dowd  (Read 14256 times)

Quinsig

• Just Moved Here
O'Dowd/Dowd
« on: December 11, 2008, 10:39:31 AM »
I am lookiing for any information on Dominick O'Dowd born in Ireland in 1827 and died in Worcester in 1867 and his wife Mary (Henry) O'Dowd born in 1833 in Ireland I'm not sure when she died as she was remarried at some  point to Daniel O'Sullivan.
Dominick and Mary were married in 1852
     Thanks, Quinsig

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: O'Dowd/Dowd
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 05:27:12 AM »
2 Jan.1852  Worcester Mass. Marriages
Dominick Dowd son of John and Mary born ire. 25 years old
Mary Henry age 19 daughter of Patrick and Margaret born ireland

The only Henry surname in my worcester irish database of know births is
Walter Henry  Achonry co. Sligo  well off financially died 19 March 1881
Walter had a son named Paul born 1863

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 04:34:24 PM »
Henry's had money (relitively). There were a few around back then, Same w/ O' Sullivan. Computer problems keeping me from accessing the data, sorry.

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 11:32:04 AM »
Maybe someone can do some lookups for Quinsig:  Ann O'Doud 1855 Hopkinton; parents should be Peter and Bridget (??); and then maybe look for a marriage under Bridget's name as I can't find one under Peter's name.  Peter O'Dowd died May 26 1905 age 86 in Worcester.  My hunch is this is Dominick's brother.  If that is the case, I have more information on this family including his mother.   Peter was naturalized so hoping this is Dominick's brother.

Mary Henry Sullivan died 1891; Is there an address on this or the marriage certificate?

1860 Hopkinton census; DOWELL, Dommick 35, Mary 24, Margarett 7, Cecila 4, Jane 2, John 2 months.

1850 Worcester, there is a Mary Henry domestic working for the Cobb family.

Also on ancestry.com someone has this family in their O'Leary family tree; user name PennyBach

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 03:18:48 AM »
Records found and also Dominick O'Dowd's naturalization record

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 03:16:59 AM »
Where was he from?

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 03:41:00 AM »
The index for Dominick O'Dowd's naturalization states he was naturalized at the Worcester Police Court.  Does anyone know if these records still exist?  Im sure Quinsig will be looking for them.  I have a very strong hunch the family was from County Sligo, Tawnagh Parish; probably Whitehall or Drumderry townland.  There is much information online for County Sligo, including the Tithe Applotment books; Griffiths and 1901 census.  LDS has a microfilm of the parish records which should show the marriage of Dominick's parents and his birth.   When looking at Peter O'Dowd's death information parents were listed as John and Mary Noone O'Dowd.  This couple is listed on familysearch.org in the area of interest but only female births as listed for them. 
In 1860 Mary O'Dowd age 70 mother is living with Peter O'Dowd and wife Bridget; by 1870 Peter is living in Worcester c. 1865.  I believe both these women died between 1860-1870 in either Milford or Worcester.  Anyone up to some look ups?
Bridget O'Dowd, 1865 Worcester; Mary Dowd 1867 Milford; Mary O'Dowd 1865 Worcester & 1869 Worcester.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 04:33:03 AM »
If you contact the National Archives in Waltham via email and give them the page/book # and dates- The info from the index and pay them about $8 they will mail you the photocopy of the record.  Sometimes it doesn't give townland but may give county.  Also the people who stand up as witnesses might also be from the same place or county.

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 04:20:45 AM »
Federal court records (U.S District Courts and U.S. Circuit Courts)

Massachusetts, 1790-1991

Select state, county, and municipal court records for Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont, 1790-1906.

This is the list that NARA holds for Massachusetts; do you suppose if the record is indexed that means NARA holds the original??  I have only obtained US District Court records from them. 

Also, if I am reading Capecolleen's post correctly:  Bridget O'Dowd parents John King and Mary King (not John O'Dowd & Mary King??)
There is a Bridget King daughter of John King and Mary Conolly born 1833 in Tawnagh Sligo.  I still can't find a marriage for Peter O'Dowd and a Bridget (?King); although there is a Bridget King 1850 domestic servant in Worcester.  I believe some of their children are Mary b. 1858 Worcester; Ann O'Doud b .1855 Hopkinton; Catherine O'Dowd b. 1861 Milford; James O'Dowd b. 1862 Milford

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 06:56:47 AM »
CapeColleen, Thanks for the look up.  If they were all this easy.......
I'm sure Quinsig will be pleased with the information when she checks in.

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »
This is the list that NARA holds for Massachusetts; do you suppose if the record is indexed that means NARA holds the original??  I have only obtained US District Court records from them.

I heard from NARA and they do have Dominick O'Dowd's naturalization papers.

Quinsig

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 04:35:25 AM »
To All,
Thank you so much for all the info.  I have recently found out that there were two possibly three Dominick O'Dowds in Worcester......I Do have Dominick's naturalization papers coming, the only problem is i am not sure which Dominick it is, I figured I would have the papers sent as they are the only Dominick O'Dowd papers NARA had and there is a chance they may belong to my Dominick.  I did find out that Dominick died in 1867 of a stroke, I think he died in Worcester, I know he is buried at St Johns so I will call them and get that record.  You have all given me some great ideas and leads, i just want you to know how much I appreciate your time .
                                                              Quinsig (Kathy Dolan)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 03:40:14 AM »
Quinsig, when you find his grave, go to see it in the spring.  You'll be glad you did, read the stone and get all of the information off of it and be sure to leave a token of your visit...a flower or im my case a smooth beach stone.  Let us know what info you get from the naturalizations...my hunch is that if there are two Dominick Dowds they are related...cousins or uncle nephew, father son.

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 02:14:42 PM »
  We always bring flowers when we are investigating grave sites, unfortunately we have been to too many that don't even have a stone, especially in large cities like Boston or Bridgeport, Connecticut.

The chances all the Dowds are related is pretty good considering the Irish naming pattern. If the family has a lot of sons , the father's name is going to be given to the first born son of all ( if they chose to do the Irish naming pattern) his sons.

Quinsig

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 03:09:09 PM »
So far with all of your help I have found the following
Dominick O'Dowd born 1827 in Ireland died 1867 in Worcester, MA married Mary Henry born 1833 in Ireland died 1891i n Worcester, MA
they had 7 children that I know of
Mary born 1854 in Worcester, MA died 1855 in Worcester, MA of Dentition and was buried in Tatnuck Cemetery  ? where she is buried now
Cecelia born 1857 in Worcester died ?
Jane born 1858 in Worcester, MA  died ?
John my ggrandfather born 1860 in Hopkinton died I think in 1921 John married Bridget Love
William born in 1862 in Hopkinton died ?
Mary born in 1864 in Worcester, MA  died 1865 in Worcester, MA
Mary Henry O'Dowd remarried on November 24, 1881 to Daniel O'Sullivan Mary Died of Mania
Dominicks Fathers name was John and his mothers name was Mary ? maiden name
Mary's fathers name was Patrick and her mothers name was Margaret ? maiden name
This is great I have definitely caught the genealogy bug !