Author Topic: Tatnuck PowerPoint Nov. 1, 2007  (Read 16585 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Tatnuck PowerPoint Nov. 1, 2007
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 04:50:47 AM »
Brad Miner from the T&G is interested in talking with you John.  Can I give him your cell phone #??? I have it from the irish parade....

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 01:03:33 PM »
Of course. Merski, I missed you by a day at St. John's Cemetery, how are things comming along?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 06:30:16 AM »
I have finished the Rices of Ravensdale county Louth. 5 more to go though I've jumped around a bit and done a bit of research on each.  John Powers of Carrick on Suir Tipperary is next.  Died in 1850...are you certain he's a tatnuck burial as I don't have a record of that?  Powers are very difficult as the last name is so prevalent and it's largely a Waterford name.  If you can't verify, I'll pick another from Tipperary.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM »
Powers seems like a confusing name to trace. And I could not find the Powers info I once gathered. How about Fogerty, they are very early. Jerimiah erected a marble monument at Tatnuck  (O'Flynn recorded it) to his mother Elizabeth. She was from the parish of  Loughmore, Co. Tipperary and died Nov. 7th 1839 at age 48 yrs. Weren't they the ones that Bishop Breven had moved at the church's expence (six members of one of the earlies irish families to the area).
We don't need a ton of info on each of these families, time is short.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 02:35:44 AM »
Right!  May do that one....

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
Hi everybody,
Tatnuck Cemetery, Tatnuck Burial Ground. The first Catholic Cemetery in the area. Less than a month to go 'til Thur. November 1, 2007 at 7:00 pm at the Ancient Order of Hibernians Cultural Center Temple St. Worcester. They have a website, events calender, directions etc. The program is shaping-up nicely. The club brings in some very fine speakers with lots of credibility, they are taking a chance on a few amateur historians, but the subject is of local interest and I am sure if the word gets out we will draw a few people. Its free, and I guarantee you will get your money's worth. I have not posted here everything that we will be discussing, so even the folks that that visit Worcestertalk will learn a thing or two. Fliers are being designed, a press release is about to go out, a posting on a genealogist list has been made, I hope the Worctalk folks will send emails to friends that might be interested. John

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 02:47:57 AM »
I'm now done with Fogarty, Rice, Mooney and I'm currently teasing apart my Brosnihan data.  I will send this info or if you have a poster you can electronically forward to TIARA the Irish Ancestral Research Association.  We need to meet soon for you to see what I've done.  You know TIARA is always looking for articles to put in its newsletter.  Some of them are quite lengthy and this would be a great subject.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 04:29:14 AM »
I think "works of independent scholarship" sounds nice. 

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 12:45:33 PM »
John and Merski,
I have forwarded the information to the rootsweb Kerry and Galway, and Worcester list.  There has been some interest.  Maybe if others belong to other county lists, they can pass it along.  Look forward to seeing you on the first. 
Cheryl

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 04:27:12 AM »
John, Tom and MaryEllen,
Well done.  I enjoyed the presentation last night.  Thank you for all your hard work and dedication to the Worcester Irish.  It was a fitting tribute to the 100th anniversity. 
Cheryl :)

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 04:24:43 PM »
Thank you Cheryl.
In a post on this forum entitled Lets meet Sept 17th 2005... I pondered what sort of interest there would be in a lecture on the Irish in September. Here is a quote from me from June 24, 2005: "I shall paraphrase a gentleman that knows quite a bit about the Irish in the area during the 19th century: there is little interest in such matters today. Worcester's 'of Irish decent' don their green but once a year, and that is pretty much it. If 20 people were to attend a Irish genealogy lecture that far away from St. Patrick's Day, he would have to concede that there is a wee bit more interest than he though. Well... We better get 50, to be sure."
Jake Powers is gone now but I think he would have been pleased to see we brought 76 people together to learn about the first Catholic cemetery in the area. The turn out is certinly due to the efforts of you, Cheryl, and all of us that put the word out. Thank you.    John   ps I passed on the "well done" to Tom, he says thank you.