Author Topic: Tatnuck PowerPoint Nov. 1, 2007  (Read 16586 times)

worcmik

• Townie
Tatnuck PowerPoint Nov. 1, 2007
« on: August 09, 2007, 07:20:15 PM »
Just over two and a half months to the presentation on the Tatnuck cemetery. I have been busy killing bugs so there is not a ton of stuff ready. The outline and a few slides for most sections are done. Basically  it goes something like this. When was it established, when was it moved. Where was the burial ground, and the "new" location. Why was it moved and what were the stipulations placed on the diocese and were they met. Were there records (no, which made meeting the state's stipulations difficult). So, Who was buried there? O'Flynn's work +<100 names, but some nice epitaphs. My son and I searched the death records = 800+ names, dates of deaths, ages, many causes of deaths, etc.  Include surrounding town's records we get a look at Catholics in Worc. County, compair that to Owen Murphy's chart of when and where new Catholic Churches were established and we can see the area served by Tatnuck and St. John's Cemeteries shrink at the same time the population of Irish in Worc. County grows. Combined with census, directory, birth and marriage records we can see addresses. Combined with Mary Ellen's work we get where they were from. Taken together we get a large database, From which we can see... What diseases they were dying from, broken down seasonally and yearly. Prevalence of newborn deaths, childhood deaths, childbirth deaths, accidental deaths, etc. Laborers as compaired to all other occupations (Craftsmen, grocers, etc are assumed to be better off) broken down by neighbourhood. What counties were represented in Worc.'s Irish population. (Kerry, Tipperary, Waterford and Cork were well represented in the 1840s and 1850s.) Have I forgotten anything that is in there already? Have I left anything out that should be there? There has to be some sort of closer. Any ideas? perhaps someone from this forum will have an idea for how to close the presentation, one that will honor the Tatnuck dead. This post is time sensitive, so if there is anything you can contribute, post a reply.   Thank you

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Tatnuck PowerPoint Nov. 1, 2007
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 05:24:23 AM »
What about a reading of the names to finish it off or one of the epitaphs done in poster form.  What if we wear black arm bands in sympathy to the dead????  What if we have a moment of silence and St. John's bell tolls a death ring for a few minutes?

I've got to get cracking on my part.  Yours sound great.  My mom has finally joined her Mom Helen Irene O'Connor in heaven.  I did ask her if she would get in contact with those crazy O'Connors, Sheas and Donoghues in heaven and tell them to let me know where they are from.

Folks, give your mother a big hug and all the love you can because it's really, really sad to lose them.

traveler

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 08:26:27 AM »
I'm so impressed with all the work you're doing. Wish I could be there for your program. I wanted to suggest you close with a genealogy poem that talks about remembering our ancestors, but of course I can't find it. I will continue looking in my papers and on line and will post it if I find it. Marion

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 05:25:06 AM »
Not much to add, except that the clock is ticking.  john

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 06:58:11 AM »
I'm still trying to get background on all the folks we discussed.  Mom died which has thrown me for a loop.  Need to get to worcester library still count on me John, but for how much data, I don't know.  Do you know anyone in the worcester T & G who would do a story on your work way before the big day?

traveler

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 03:10:55 AM »
I finally found the poem I memtioned. It's really a bit of doggeral, but it does speak to some of the thoughts I have when I do cemetery work.
The URL for a copy is >http://www.ancestorhunt. com/why_we-search.htm<
Dear Ancestor
Your tombstonestands among the rest
neglected and alone
The name and date have worn off
The wheathered marble stone
It reaches out to all who care
It's now to late to mourn
You did not know that I'd exsist
You died....and I was born
Yet each of us are cells of you
in flesh, in blood, in bone
Our hearts contract and beat a pulse
entirely not our own
Dear Ancestor, the place you filled
some hundred years ago
spreads out amoung the ones you left
who would have loved you so
I wonder how you lived and loved
I wonder if you knew
that some day I would find this place
and come to visit you
Author Anonymous

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 10:29:08 AM »
A great poem...I'll have to print out.  Went to the library today and started in and did quite a bit of leg work that I can work on now at home.  I lLOVE those vital record fiches...so much easier than using even NEHGS.  Don't worry John, I work best with a deadline (no pun intended!)

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 08:16:46 AM »
Merski,
First, my condolences. Then, I was not cracking the whip with my last post. I just like to see this subject at the top of the list. I'm trying to attach a chart. But it will be a list of how many people were from each county. Only one is counted in each family, so as not to inflate a county's numbers just because a large family is here. Adult brothers are each counted. The info tends not to come from after 1850.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 09:53:55 AM »
I didn't think you were cracking the whip so to speak.  Today I'm working on James Finneran who was from Clooncalthry parish of Taugmaconnel in Roscommon.  He is listed in Search for missing friends and in Tatnuck burials.  My part will not be in powerpoint as I'm a complete eejdiot on the computer.  Very interesting work....If anyones related to very early Finnerans please leave a post under a new suject entitled Finneran

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 11:47:41 AM »
Merski
We can incorporate your work in to the Powerpoint, simply by having a series of slides behind you while you are speaking. You can read from your script (or refer to your notes) and with each new subject you can click a new slide to be projected. The slide might be a map of Ireland with the county highlighted and some text that gives the name and place they are from. A nice lead-in will be a bar graph that gives the information contained in the attachment to my last post. (Top five counties represented are Kerry, Tipperary, Cork, Waterford, and Louth. Killkenny and Sligo are tied for 6th.)
I can scan your index cards to project as slides, and the cover of Missing Friends can be included in the slides. (when, for example, I quote Owen Murphy's book; There Were Giants in those Days I have a small picture of the cover of the book in the corner of the slide.) Slides are-multi layered so you can have Text over a picture (or along side a picture) and a little picture in the corner, or a chart or graph (bar, pie, etc,). Slides can be animated, so a map of a county can spring from a map of Ireland. I will take care of the intergration of your work into the presentation, so that you can take the podium for your section. My son wanted me to present the section on "What Were They Dieing From? : Diseases," but agreed to get up and present this section, which draws on the work he did for a Science project. If BVIrish is able to, I would like him to follow Tom with  "What Were They Dieing From? : Accidents." That will still leave me with quite a bit to present.  Is this format acceptable?   John

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 02:04:27 AM »
How much time do I have?  I think a half hour will be more than enough.  Slides sound good if we have the time.  I may settle on the folks from the top counties rather than all of the folks we talked about.  Going to the library this morning.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 01:17:04 PM »
Merski et. al.,
I  think I can incorporate anything you have rather quickly, so the format will be consistant. I thought you would find some direction in the "top" counties and focus on that. I hope you can deliver a some minutes on each family (one from each of the top 5 or 6 counties) 20 to 25 mins. or so? If it is less don't fret. Tom needs about 5 mins. BVirish can have 5 to 10 as well, if he wants. If his wedding has left him with too little time to put anything together, I will take the help he has already given & have Tom or I present it. In any event I will edit the rest to fit. The last lecture in this series did not seem to last more than an hour, I don't think the audience will begrudge us 90 mins.
   I have sent a letter to Bishop McManus, a version of what is in the first post under this subject heading. I think it would be OK to post a bit of his reply here. "Your careful study has expanded remarkably from the examination of the historical details of the re-interment... to the creation of a reliable demographic profile of Irish immigrants in the whole of Worcester County in the first half of the 1800's." He goes on to say the research effort "...truly honors the courage and zeal among our Irish forebears in firmly establishing the Catholic faith in what would become the Diocese of Worcester some one hundred years later."
   I hope.                                j

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 03:30:09 AM »
Okey dokey!  Can you post specific details time place etc. so I can post it on TIARA website or they can send it out.  Will this be publicized so that others can come?  We could have a crowd I hope.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 08:14:39 AM »
More to follow on date time. As for the crowd? We had better get more than the 16 or so that showed up for the last one. I would like to make a few fliers to leave at the Worc. Public Library, Worc. Historical Museum, and other places that attract genealogy/history types. Worcester T&G doesn't seem to have a columnist that writes about happy little things, seems to be full of gripes and such. Worc. Magazine? I would rather Worc. T&G. Southwick is the historian, but I don't see him as being all that interested in a piece on it. We need a Dempsey, alas our loss is WPI's gain.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 09:10:11 AM »
Brad Miner in the Spencer office just loves historical stories.  Try him.