General > Worcester History

Worcester Historic Neighborhood History

(1/2) > >>

chris:
Hi
I am looking for historic information about Worcester's neighborhoods. Does anyone have any information?  ;D

pajkaki:
I have a number of books called "Images of America - Worcester" published by Arcadia Publishing of charleston SC.  They are basically captioned picture books of Worcester (Downtown, neighborhoods, sections, etc.).  I found them to be very interesting and informative.  In addition, each have an extensive bibliography that will lead you to other books. 

Images of America (most any city in the US) can be ordered directly from the publisher at www.arcadiapublishing.com or Amazon.com has them also.

I imagine the Library has them too.

Hope that helps,

Paul Johnson

chris:
Paul
That does help. How do I learn what the various neighborhoods are, and their significance? Do the books tell that information?

Chris

pajkaki:
Chris;

Depends what you want to know or what information you need.  If, for example, you are looking for ethnicity (Swedish, Irish, Italian, etc.) some of these books are devoted to that subject, especially Swedish.  If you are looking for architechture, such as three-deckers, etc., there are pictures of them.  If you are trying to do a specific thing, (write a book for example), I'd need a bit more information to point you in the right direction (if I could at all).  Why don't you trry to get one or more of the books I recommended at the library,  see what they contain, then go from there.

Paul

Bonzo:

--- Quote from: chris on July 03, 2008, 09:26:25 AM ---Hi
I am looking for historic information about Worcester's neighborhoods. Does anyone have any information?  ;D

--- End quote ---

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I found it a pretty interesting read.
http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/cco/history/pdf/KnowYourStreet.pdf

You'll need Adobe Acrobat installed to be able to read it, but that's standard issue with most computers I'd safely bet.

I found that on the county clerk's website, along with some excellent historical info, trivia, and pics of the tornado aftermath. It's amazing what you can find stumbling around, here's the link.
http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/cco/history/home.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version