Author Topic: information on 161 West Highland Street  (Read 5133 times)

Tigera

• Just Moved Here
information on 161 West Highland Street
« on: August 10, 2007, 03:21:41 PM »
I am living in Ireland  and I have very old photo album with the name Julia Kavanagh 161 West Hyland Street,

Would anyone have any info on this address or the Kavanagh name .
My fathers side of the family were Kavanagh and one of the ladies in a lot of the photos bares a uncanny resemblance to myself

Thanks in anticipation

Tigera

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: information on 161 West Highland Street
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 02:18:11 PM »
Went to the 1900 census and found on 75 Highland Street Julia , Delia, Catherine, Helena and Edward James all adult siblings.  All single, all born in Mass. to parents born in Ireland.

Went to the 1880 census Found them all again, though much younger in Northbridge (near Worcester)  the Parents Are alive and are John & Ellen.

Found John and Ellen in the 1870 Northbridge census newly married, hes 28 shes 25

Found a death for a son John who died in 1875 at 2 years old in Northbridge

Jumped ahead to the 1910 census and found Julia and her 3 sisters living at 165 Highland.  Julia is a nurse for a private family.

Do you know where these cavanaghs were from in ireland?  Can you scan and post their photo or provide a link to it??

Hope this helps a little

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 03:59:57 AM »
Tigera & Merski,
When I was at the Worcester Library this week, I looked up this family.  John Kavanagh died Oct 25, 1892 (born c.1839) but his obituary didn't hold any information except that he was buried in Uxbridge, wife Ellen died Feb 26, 1897.  (her parents could be Patrick & Bridget) I believe Ellen was a Scully and on the census report of 1870, John & Ellen are living with a Scholay family in Northbridge and 1910 the girls have a cousin Bridget Scully living with them.  Delia Kavanagh d. Sept 29, 1934 but the page of the newspaper for her obituary was missing and I didn't have time to go back to the street directories to look for Helena's date of death (she was alive past 1953). 
Merski maybe you can look up John's death on the NEHGS website.
Cheryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 04:43:29 AM »
NEHGS image was not available.  Perhaps it's in the WPL micrifiche.  I'll ask my friend at St. John's about burial records for Northbridge.

Tigera

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 03:21:07 PM »
Went to the 1900 census and found on 75 Highland Street Julia , Delia, Catherine, Helena and Edward James all adult siblings.  All single, all born in Mass. to parents born in Ireland.

Went to the 1880 census Found them all again, though much younger in Northbridge (near Worcester)  the Parents Are alive and are John & Ellen.

Found John and Ellen in the 1870 Northbridge census newly married, hes 28 shes 25

Found a death for a son John who died in 1875 at 2 years old in Northbridge

Jumped ahead to the 1910 census and found Julia and her 3 sisters living at 165 Highland.  Julia is a nurse for a private family.

Do you know where these cavanaghs were from in ireland?  Can you scan and post their photo or provide a link to it??

Hope this helps a little

Merski and Cheryl thank you so much for this information. My computer was down hence the delay in replying.
My father's name was James Kavanagh with a K (born 1913 died 1981) Dublin Ireland and grandfather was Michael died 1948 in Dublin.
He was origionally from Ballyragget in Co. Kilkenny. He married my grandmother Mary Hiney from Portlaoise and set up home in Dublin

I am only starting to trace the Kavanagh line now so don't have much info at all about them . Don't have any known older relatives ( alive)here who can fill me.  (I am new to all this so it is a slow process).

This photo was a shot oin the dark and has thrown up so much,  I will get someone with a bit more IT knowledge to scan an post it  for me.

If you get any more info on the sisters or Edwards James I would appreciate it.

Thank you both once again

Tigera

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 03:46:12 PM »

Merski and Cheryl thank you so much for this information. My computer was down hence the delay in replying.
My father's name was James Kavanagh with a K (born 1913 died 1981) Dublin Ireland and grandfather was Michael died 1948 in Dublin.
He was origionally from Ballyragget in Co. Kilkenny. He married my grandmother Mary Hiney from Portlaoise and set up home in Dublin

I am only starting to trace the Kavanagh line now so don't have much info at all about them . Don't have any known older relatives ( alive)here who can fill me.  (I am new to all this so it is a slow process).

This photo was a shot oin the dark and has thrown up so much,  I will get someone with a bit more IT knowledge to scan an post it  for me.

If you get any more info on the sisters or Edwards James I would appreciate it.

Thank you both once again