Author Topic: Mystifying Obit Information  (Read 4182 times)

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
Mystifying Obit Information
« on: July 25, 2007, 03:24:10 AM »
  By sheer accident when I was doing my monthly obit search at the WPL I came across an obit for one of the Reardon clan, Ralph, who died in 1952. On the off chance that it might be one of the Reardons connected to my husband's Maroney line ( Patrick's daughter Annie married George Reardon) I copied it for further research.

Lo and behold it is indeed on of the brothers. It is an interesting line only because of the tragedy of Daniel Reardon and more tragic for Margaret Malone Reardon who was left alone with 8 children.

Anyway coming to my dilemma, and wondering if anyone has any suggestions, Ralph lists his three sisters married names-normally a gold mind genealogical hit. The three sisters are Ethel May born in January 12, 1896, Margaret Ann born April 18, 1902 and Ellen born in 1904-all in Hudson,Massachusetts. The three names the obit lists are Mrs. Morgan Ritcher of Worcester, Mrs. Charles Drufa and Mrs. Joseph O'Malley, both of Clinton.

Should be a piece of cake, right. Wrong. There is absolutely no Morgan Ritcher listed anywhere in all my sources, nor a Charles Drufa. On Ancestry zip, nada. And of course Joseph O'Malley is like John Smith. Tried Soundex but still nothing. That includes Ancestry, Newsbank, NEHGS-directories, the whole bit.

I would be happy just to connect the right lady with the right man. Any suggestions?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Mystifying Obit Information
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 06:38:22 AM »
What about connecting with the Clinton library or Historical society to get street listings or telephone books?  Did you try going into Worcester telegram and doing obit searches online through newsbank?

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 02:57:39 PM »
  Yes-although my access to Clinton information is limited.

I can only think that the names in the obit are not the names the men went by in their day to day lives or are misspelled.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 03:36:25 AM »
Trust that names are mispelled a good part of the time or improperly transcribed!