Author Topic: Valentine Bertram-Killarney to Worcester  (Read 8498 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Valentine Bertram-Killarney to Worcester
« on: October 01, 2008, 02:38:34 AM »
I'm trying to help our friend in Killarney named Michael who is helping a woman in Australia hunt down a relative named Valentine Bertram who appeared to be living in Worcester by 1888 but may have arrived sooner.  In the Search for missing friends in 1873, he was looking for his brothers George and William who were in Michigan working on the Great Northern Pacific RR.  Can we all use our combined skills to help this terrific person who helps many, many others find their irish roots? 

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Valentine Bertram-Killarney to Worcester
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 12:27:01 PM »
Capecolleen!  That's HIM!!!  His parents were James & Julia Mc dowell Bertram!  I wonder if Charles is related. It's too much of a coincidence.  I wonder if there is an obituary....  Thanks!  You know, I went onto NEHGS and didn't think to try for just the first name.  You, Fox!

maharg46

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 03:22:06 PM »
Hello - merski and capecolleen

I am the lady in Australia who is searching for the Bertrams. Michael forwarded me this link.  What can I say - except thank you so very much for the information on Valentine.  I am searching for Valentine's brother James Joseph who left Ireland in 1865.  He joined the British Army and went to Allahabad - India.   My grandfather - George Frederick - was born in India, but went missing sometime around 1919. 

Any further information on the Bertrams would be very much appreciated.  And for the information to date - once again many thanks.

marharg46

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 02:07:53 AM »
We have a lot of fun and get a lot of satisfaction out of helping others.  If we find stuff, please be sure to post it here so we can all learn about this man who came to worcester.
James Bertram married Julia McDonnell (McDowell) in Killarney 11 Jan 1843
children Jane 1843, George 1849, William 1851, Lucy Mary 1853, Valentine 1856
Julia died in 1866  James death is uncertain.
One clue for us to use to search for George and William is that their mother was born in Scotland and there may be a possibility that their father was born in England (according to Valentine's death cert.)
Can you all imagine this person in australia is heading into Summer while we're heading towards winter?

maharg46

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 02:21:35 AM »

Hello - yes - we are heading into summer over here in Australia. But it's very unseasonable - hot one day - rainy and cold the next! 

Once again many thanks for the information on the Bertrams.   Valentine had another brother - James who was born in 1847 - but there are no records - apart from family history stories.  James joined the British Army in Limerick and he was sent to India aboard the ship Hornet.  He died in 1890.  James was my great grandfather.  So if anyone has any details about him it would be greatly appreciated.  One of James' sons - George Frederick was my grandfather - apparently he disappeared around 1920 something - in India perhaps - or even Burma.  He remains a mystery man and was barely talked about amongst family members.  So here I am searching for him. 

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 05:06:03 AM »
I too went on ancestry and wonder who this person is who has listed James Bertram.  I left a message for him/her that I was interested in contacting them.  Wouldn't it be exciting if it was from a brach you didn't know about?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 09:01:45 AM »
I just found his naturalization at the WPL.  This is him for sure...thank goodness he had such a unique first name!  He was naturalized in 1880 and his address at the time was Whitinsville, Nothbridge, Mass.    Anybody going to the Mass. Archives in Waltham anytime soon?  I've got the document # if you are.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 01:48:53 AM »
Naturalization papers in 1880 say that he was from Kerry, confirm his birth year and say he came into Boston on 6 June 1872.  He resided for the 6 years prior to 1880 in Whitinsville/Northbridge.  Sponsors were John Griffin & Michael Kearney of Worcester.  Anybody good at whitinsville/Northbridge history or have any resources?

I [lan on going to the WPL to see if I can find a ship coming into Boston on said date and then searching for him.  Ancestry.com did not easily have him on it and I don't have Cheryl's patience to go through the entire list.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 03:08:32 AM »
Came back successful from the WPL.  VAL Bertram age 16 arrived in Boston on the SS Malta on 6 June 1873 from Liverpool.  Male passengers above and below him on the list are Edward Joyce, Michael Cain and Patrick Noah.  Tried looking for Val Bertram in census records to no avail.  Tried to use the index for Griffiths Valuation on cd but it wouldn't open.  The Library will contact me when they have it up and running.  Trying to find any Berrtams living in Killarney.

This other person on ancestry is listing grandparents of above as James & Jane Bertram also in Killarney.  James bc 1790 location unknown and death 20 Oct. 1845 in Killarney.

Will be mailing this off to our Australian "Cousin" on Monday.