Author Topic: worcester irish in the civil war  (Read 7306 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
worcester irish in the civil war
« on: August 07, 2005, 01:54:25 PM »
I Photocopied out of the 1862 or 1863 Worcester City Directory The Worcester Roll of Honor, which gives names and regiments of everyone (including irish) 3 months, 3 years and 9 months service in the civil war.  I know the fighting O'Neills were in the 25th and there were even some worc. irish in the Mass. 28th irish brigade.  I encourage you to google "massachusetts 15th volunteers" and see the great job that was done by their webmaster to document each soldier in that group.  There were many worc. or worc. county irish that served in the 15th.  I was particularly interested in Henry Emerson Smith as he was the last employer of my Great Grandmother Julia Donohoe O'Connor.  They actually had his picture posted, so at least I got to see the face that my great grandmother must have seen daily for years...it adds incredible depth and color to the just dates that I've been able to uncover.  Please check out this site and if you are descendents of someone in this group, it appears that she can link up to your email.  This past weekend my husband and I spent the day at OSV in their military weekend.  I'm sure I annoyed the he__ out of the Irish brigade group because I was so interested in the irish soldiers esp. from worcester and Barre.

worcmik

• Townie
Re: worcester irish in the civil war
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 05:28:10 PM »
On my mother's side, Michael McKeon and his brother, Thomas, served in the 25th; a g... uncle on my paternal line did as well. For this sort of research the Massachusetts Military Museum & Archives, located in the "Armory" at Lincoln Sq. is an invaluable source of information. They were able to help me learn about the unit and its members. The folks there are very friendly to researchers.
    The O'Neil's that Merski mentioned in her post are a very interesting lot. Four of the brothers served in the 25th; the fifth served in another regt. For years after the war, former soldiers' obits often contained a line about having served in the 25th, E Co. under Captain Tom O'Neil. He was a "Deep Sea Diver" before the war (1860 census); he died from wounds rec. at Cold Harbor Va. on June 4, 1864. One brother, Lt. James, survived the war, and later spent many years away from Worcester (He worked as a fencing [and more?] instructor in the New York Athletic Club.) and his religion. He returned to both before he died. Both of them were boxers, and it's said that there was a match (demonstration of the art) between them on Thanksgiving Day, 1863. I am sure the other brothers that served (John, Arthur, & Charles) have their own stories, but one of my favorites is of the sister, Kate (married Owen Kane) that traveled from Worcester to visit a wounded brother. Her travel companion, if I remember correctly, was none other than her sister Annie's husband Richard O'Flynn. He that would become the Worcester book-seller and amateur Irish-in-Worcester historian.
    Thomas and James had experience within military organizations before the Civil War. On Aug 3rd 1852 some adopted citizens of Worcester met at Fenwick Hall to discuss the formation of a military organization. The purpose of this militia would be to uphold the laws of and the constitution of the United States and to be ready at all times to sympathize with the suffering and oppressed people of Ireland. The first meeting was held, Aug 9th 1852, in the "Catholic Institute" on Temple St. Officers were elected. (Forgive the lack of quotation marks: I am pretty sure this is close to how O'Flynn relates the story.) This militia was the Jacksonian Guards, they were disbanded, along with other "clannish" militia, by the governor not many years later. The Emmet Guards followed after a few years, and that is the unit the O'Neil boys joined.
    Their father, Charles, wrote two books. I have read the published The Military Adventures of Charles O'Neil and hope to see the unpublished The Life and Times of Charles O'Neil. The last time the book was seen it was in the possesion of Mrs Margret Murphy. In The Military Adventures... Charles reveals the fact that his generation of fighting O'Neil brothers saw a bit of action. Charles's brother, Arthur, enlisted in 1804 and was assigned to the seventy-four gunship Terrible, under Nelson. A few months later he was killed in an engagement between British and French forces off the coast of Holland. Another of Charles's brothers, John, was killed at Trafalgar in October of 1805. Their brother James served two years and seven months. James was with Sir John Moore on his retreat in December 1808, and was killed in the battle of Talvera in July of 1809. Charles, after a few enlistments and a couple of desertions, served eight years in an English uniform. In 1811 he received 300 lashes for refusing to attend Church of England religious services. He served during the Peninsular War, Continental Campaigns, fought in the bloody battle of Barossa, the siege of Badajos, and was twice wounded at Waterloo. He received an honorable discharge in 1818. (I don't think there are any direct quotes in there, but I hereby cite Charles O'Neil and Richard O'Flynn.)
                   another long one, John

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 05:47:22 AM »
I prepared some of the last post from memory, and I missed on a few details. Arthur O'Neil had served in the Jackson Guards, which was disbanned in Jan. 1855. The Emmet Guards were organized in June of 1859.
The Worcester Telegram, Sunday Dec. 19, 1920, reported on the "Exibition of the manly art given by Capt. Thomas O'Neil and Lt. James O'Neil at Newbern, NC on Thanksgiving Day 1863."
Also I did not mention that: James O'Neil lost (some felt that the judges were compromised) the longest bare-knuckle boxing match in history; the boys were involved with rowing; and there was a bit of a dispute concerning the naming of a guardian for the sister, Miss Mary O'Neil, when Charles's wife died (Charles had died in 1852.) (With Mary went the money: to Katie Kane rather than Annie O'Flynn.)
J

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »
I'm thinking that this "topic"might make for a decent subject for a lecture. I would start with the O'Neils and other Emmet Guards, and lead to the formation of the 25th Regt.; quote some from the histories of that regt.  (including an unpublished memoir that mention the Irish of the 25th regiment.); include an account of the Battle of Cold Harbor; and finish back in Worcester with an epilogue of the O'Neils. The close would include info about James O'Neil's exploites in New York, and his return to Worcester; the connection to O'Flynn 
Deadline for lecture title for the first week of Nov. must be approaching. My first idea was something about the various querks of the records that exist (missing, incomplete, mis-indexed) but that is too "genealogist" rather than "general intrest." Any comments? Would you go to soething like that? J

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 02:26:41 AM »
I'm there!  What about the 15th and all the excellent work on genealogies online from that group?  Great idea maybe you could also get an irish brigade reenactor.....I love your idea.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 11:49:28 AM »
Sometimes the papers might point to a relative in ireland it the soldier was unmarried and listed someone in ireland as next of kin but I guess you didn't win the jackpot there.  Go to a library that has a catalogue that searches a variety of holdings in other libraries.  I think even our small town library has a history of the 34th and no doubt many others do as well.  Talk with your friendly librarian.  This probably won't be a book you can check out but can read in a reading room.  Online discussions also might focus on the 34th.  Happy hunting!