Author Topic: Worcester O'Connor DNA study  (Read 6730 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Worcester O'Connor DNA study
« on: November 04, 2007, 03:15:56 PM »
I'm curious to learn if anyone would be interested in a DNA study for Worcester O'Connors.  I'm thinking of males whose great granparents were in worcester as far back as 1850-1870 or so.  It has to be a male carrying the O'Connor surname to ensure proper lineage.  There are 7 different lines and to tease them apart by this method could help all of us descending from this line.  What do you all think? ???

Darlene B.

Re: Worcester O'Connor DNA study
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 02:45:03 PM »
I think it's a good idea if used to distinguish the different lines of descendants. It's a kit that gets sent and you swab your own mouth. It's a simple test but can run into money. There is a web site that offers this kind of service.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 02:57:42 AM »
Yes, I did see the site.  The cost is about $200 for enough markers to disinguish certain lines but for someone like me who is getting nowhere, it's worth it.

Thomas O'Connor

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
I signed up for the site, sent in my swab and got some info back. The problem is that while I was a science teacher I am now 84 years old and can't begin to unravel the process whereby I could make any progress. If any of you young upstarts are willing to try to compare DNAs I'll be happy to contribute what I have.

Tom O'Connor

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 01:54:09 AM »
Tom, I still haven't sent off a sample.  I need to contact an O'Connor male in my family to do it but I'm definitely going to contact him this weekend. 

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 03:29:01 AM »
Didn't they give you any connection with one of the septs or lineage lines?  I thought that they'd do that.  Granted, until they have lots of data, it may not be useful.

traveler

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 08:15:42 AM »
Merski,
My father allowed me to sent cells to Family Tree DNA to join the Devine DNA study. It's an excellent  study. I recommend you look at some of the DNA studies available on the Family Tree site to see if the results will meet your needs. I joined the study in 2004 and and just recently made a connection with another Devine who may have a connection in the 1700's. They do not identify septs. It seems that each study has differnt goals and methodology.