Author Topic: Naturalization search tip!  (Read 3773 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Naturalization search tip!
« on: May 21, 2010, 02:11:17 AM »
Yesterday I went to the National Archives in Waltham to look up some Naturalizations.  Walter Hickey (a great guy and lecturer) gave me this valuable tip which I'm passing on to you.  Some of us irish researchers have family names that are common - Shea, O'Connor, Kelly , Murphy etc. so it's sometimes very difficult to find their records.  This is what we should do....go to the Registrar of Voters in the town or city!  Ask to see the voter registration for (example)  Patrick Kelly who lived at 158 Bridge Street in Worcester in 1900.  If he was foreign born he would have needed to show his naturalization papers in order to be a registered voter.  The Registrar would have written down what court and reference data from this.  With this info it's much easier to go or email the archives and get exactly what you need.  I hope someone will try this in Worcester and report back.

Also I overheard Walter tell someone that citizenship of the father through naturalization was passed on to his minor aged children (this was true up to 1940) so that some of us looking for naturalizations of kids in a family that emigrated from Ireland will not be found. (!)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:51:02 AM by merski »

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
Re: Naturalization search tip!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 01:02:33 PM »
Thanks for the info ... I thought I would expand on this  a little ... not Irish genealogy per say but ....  I belong to the Genealogy club that meets ay the Shrewsbury Library; our next meeting will be held on May 24th @ 7:00 p.m., and we are having a guest speaker coming from the State Archives! These meetings are open to the public and are free! May be we can learn something from this speaker.