Author Topic: Patrick Sweeney  (Read 5912 times)

patm3115

• Just Moved Here
Patrick Sweeney
« on: March 06, 2007, 08:43:05 AM »
I am looking for information on Patrick Sweeney who was born in Ireland around 1831, his parents where John Sweeney and Mary Heffern. He married Mary Coolihan (or Koolihan or Houlihan) in Worcester on Nov 30 1848. Together they had at least 5 children, William J.-1852, Mary A. -1854, Thomas- 1860, Kate- 1863 and John -1864. Patrick's wife Mary died between 1864 and 1870, and Patrick himself died Aug 22 1894. Any info would be great, but Specifically I would love to find where in Ireland He came from, and the name of the boat he immigrated on.

Thanks, Pat

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Patrick Sweeney
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 12:26:47 PM »
Look for his naturalization.  Even some early ones say at least what county he was from.  What were his parents names from his death certificate.  Do you have his death cert and obituary?  Check to see if it is in the Messenger, the catholic worcester newspaper or the Worcester Evening Post.  Absolutely check out his grave to ensure that there isn't something written on it.  Are you close enough to Worcester to do so?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 01:54:31 PM »
Got on the 1850 census and found a Patrick and Mary Sunny (very poor writing for sweeney???) he's 25 she's 20.  in ward 5   They have a son John age 6 months and living with them is something looking like Bridget 40 yrs old born in Ireland.  This John died young no doubt.  By 1870 Patrick iis widowed and seems to have money   Kids Mary 16, Thomas 10, Kate 7 and john 6   When their daughter Mary was born in 1854, he is listed as a machinist.I think his wife Mary Died 27 July 1865 age 34 from consumption.  Her parents names were Patrick & Bridget.  I'm thinking the Bridget in the 1850 census is Patrick's mother in law.   The mormon site has a listing for him submitted by someone in the mormon church but no details.   You should try to find the family in the 1855 and 1865 state census.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 03:38:07 PM »
Sweeney   Patrick   23,  years old at time of marriage to Mary Calahan aged 18, on 11/30/1848 witnesses were Parsons, Anthony and Murray, Mary A.  Fr.Gibson officiated, and reported it to the city of Worc. on 8/24/1849   He is listed as a laborer in the  Worc. 1850 census Ward 5. pg. 44 line 273 and in the Worc. 1860 census in Ward 3. Or rather a Patrick and Mary are in those censuses.
The fact that I don't have anything else leads me to believe they did not use the Tatnuck cemetery, but that is just a guess.
Let us know if a naturalization turns-up.  John

patm3115

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 06:56:23 PM »
I found his parents names from his death certificate, he and wife  along with a few children were buried in St. Johns cemetery. I requested the cemetery records a couple of weeks ago and I am currently waiting for a reply. However, I have seen a picture of the headstone, its not entirely helpful, just names. I have found the family on the 1860-1880 census. I have a couple of questions, where would I begin to look fo naturalization papers? Can I find copies of those newspapers in the WPL? Where would I find the state census? and Where did you find that record for their marriage?
Thanks for all the help,
Patrick

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 02:13:55 AM »
The WPL has an index for naturalizations.  It goes by the soundex system so that spelling variations are not a problem.  You search by his age and address at the time of naturalization and then get the record number.  With this number you go to the National Archives in Waltham and they look it up for you.  You then are allowed to see its record in the book and to get a copy.

Marie Daley at the NEHGS who had a wonderful online lecture on irish genealogy , says that you should look up and try to find where the godparents were from for the kids christenings or the witnesses for the marriage or even the sponsors for naturalization because invariably, they may be from the same place in Ireland or may be even kin.  She encourages you to look up even other early sweeneys in worcester to explore a kin connection to uncover someone who has a place of birth in Ireland.

There is a listing in the Boston Pilot looking for a Thomas Sweeney who is from Gareevadreen (near Claremorris) co. Mayo  The date is 8 Dec, 1866    Came to the states 10-12 years earlier  Last heard from in Padukah, McCracken county in Kentucky.  Send info to his brother James Sweeney 17 Winter Street Worcester Mass.  I would find this James Sweeney if I were you to see if this is a brother or cousin to your Patrick.