Author Topic: Obits and other sundry questions  (Read 3706 times)

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
Obits and other sundry questions
« on: September 11, 2006, 03:44:56 AM »
 Now having been to WPL twice (and I am sure more visits to follow-except second hand book store with novels with my particular interests) I guess the question of obits and what to look for is intriguing me.

Beyond the historical interest I really did not find the Catholic Messenger much help. Frankly I hardly found any obits at all.

Secondly just how many Worcester newspapers were there? Of course there is the Telegram. But in all honesty -depending on who is at the desk-I got a bit confused as what to ask for. It made the search a bit harder. For example, the first time I went I could not find the obit in 1919 for James H. Hoy but the second time I did in the Telegram and from the article it was quite a funeral with all kind of local dignitaries attending.

Which leads me to another pondering. Not once in Hoy's notice were his family members mentioned which leads me to believe there must have been another obit somewhere else. Or as in the William Bransfield obit which by the way started on the front page. No mention of his wife who seems to have changed her name from Lucy to Lulu to Lulie with each Census-she is actually the ancestor I am more interested in. It seems in more modern obits when the spouse died is often included.

Speaking of Bransfield-any one know of a more comprehensive bio/obit around. He appears to have been somewhat of a known personality in Worcester. An internet search reveals all his baseball info but very little personal vital statistics.

traveler

• Just Moved Here
Re: Obits and other sundry questions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 04:25:54 AM »
The Telegram and the Gazette were separate papers when I was growing up in Worcester, one a morning paper, one an evening paper. Obits for the same person may be in both papers. The library website has a list of the papers available. the URL is
http://worcpubliclib.org/resources/genealogy.html
Here are the papers I've found most helpful for obits, remembering the further back in time the less information is in the obit...usually.
The Spy 1845-1904
The Gazatte 1866-1989
The Evening Post 1897-1938
The Telegram 1884-1989
My mother says the Post was read and written for the every day person so would have obits for the "common folk"
Marion