Author Topic: Dee family in worcester  (Read 22767 times)

graiguearush

• Just Moved Here
Re: Dee family in worcester
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2005, 05:25:31 PM »
I'm descended from Brigid KIRWAN, born in the 1850s in Graiguearush/Graiguerush, Waterford, Ireland - & her aunt (?) Nanno _may_ have married a DEE (I just learnt this today), plus my family have several photographs of the KIRWAN siblings taken at various photographic studios in Worcester, Massachusetts, in the 1890's.

I've learnt that Nanno was/is a nickname for Hanora.  My Hanora KIRWAN may have been your Hanora DEE or Hanora DAY?

You can see my other post in the Worcester Irish Genealogy/History section if you like, with more details.

Be careful with the Days back then, as it seems there was a Michael and Hanna (i think this is the Flannigan) that lost 1 yr-old Martin in Feb 1847; and a Michael and Hanora that lost a son John in April 1846. If you work out the birthdates, as recorded in the Town of Worcester's Death Records (p. 199 & 184 respectively), they aren't twins nor is there 9 months between them. One of the couples lost Mary Ann in 1844. All would have started in Tatnuck.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 09:42:55 AM »
Capecolleen and Kelly,   I asked the woman in the barre Town Assessor's office about the farm that michael bought.  It looks like John Allen Stone owned a property called Desper Place 61 acres and sold it or it was sold to Michael Day.  The land may be on Desper rd. which may be part of the Stevens farm bed and breakfast.  The deed reference is book 9258 page 1.  You might try calling the stevens farm 978-355-2227 and they may be able to help you figure that out or you can go to the registry of deeds at the Worcester County Courthouse.  Mary Ellen aka merski

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 02:19:31 PM »
You know, I actually called her around 10 am myself today!  She told me she HAD info and just had to find it.  If the farm location is on their property, I think you should come to lovely Barre this Fall to see it and we'll meet!  She runs a bed & breakfast    Irene and Richard Stevens

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2005, 02:09:03 AM »
Went to the Library looking up some stuff for another Dee and found these Dee marriages in Worcester and will post them here....

David Dee & Margaret Lanligan 2 Sept. 1856 (His parents David & Alice)
Bridget Dee & John McNamara  8 April 1849
Ellen Dee & David Vail 16 Aug. 1853 (her parents John & Mary)
John Dee & Ellen Powers 16 Dec. 1875  (His parents James & Mary)
William Dee and Mary King/kane 20 Oct. 1866 ( His parents James & Mary)  ... is he the brother of John just above???

I did not trancribe Day or O'Day marriages...I imagine there are too many

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 01:57:49 AM »
From Worcester Mass.'s Honor roll of civil war soldiers

William J. Dee   34th Massachusetts Company A    Mustered 22June 1862  20 Years old  Laborer by Trade.  Mustered out 16 June 1865

kellyday

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2005, 01:23:34 AM »
Hello!

I finally read through the entire string and I have some information regarding a couple of items in here.  One is concerning the farm in Barre.  Although my g-g-grandfather. Michael Day, died in 1870 his will did not go through probate until July, 1888.  My g-grandfather, James Day, was the executor because Michael's brother Patrick Day, who was named as executor in Michael's will, died just 3 or 4 months eariler.  By the time Michael's will went through probate, the son of Michael and his second wife Mary Flynn, John, was deceased.  I'm assuming that the farm would have been sold around this time since they waited 18 years to probate the will.  I have not been able to find John Day's death record, so I'm not sure of the date or place of his death, but I assume it was in Barre.  No idea about what happened to Mary Flynn Day after 1888. 

Anyway, Merski also put an incomplete Irish town name at the beginning of the string she found on a tombstone.  The town in Ireland is Garravoone and it is in Co. Waterford.  I am researching that town name to see if it was near or around "Fenney" (possibly Fenoagh), from Michael Day's naturalization record, which was in the R.C. parish Carrickbeg.   

I copied all of the Day B/M/D indexes for Worcester, so if anyone needs me to check them for someone specific, please let me know.  None of the Dee names provided jibe with anyone I am researching and I've never found any indication that my family's name was Dee. 

In talking with folks in Ireland, it would be much more likely for someone with the last name of Dea, pronounced as Day by the Irish, to have their name changed in the States to Day.  However, Day & Dee were family names in Ireland, so their names may not have been changed after they immigrated.  Dee is a derivation of the O'Dea clan name, so I'm not shutting out the possibility but there just hasn't been any indication of that name in my research.  There are very few Day's/Dea's/Dee's in Co. Waterford records.  I did find some Day names in Co. Tipperary, but I think I need to continue my research here in the States until I have more solid information.  Irish R.C. records are very incomplete, thanks to laws set down by Cromwell who was responsible for killing nearly 40% of the Irish R.C. population in the 18th century.  Very nasty man, I think.

Sorry for the long note...hope some of this helps.  Helen, I tried to call you one time after I returned but haven't tried again.  Did you ever get any useful information from those people you called about the farm.  Let's talk soon!   ;D

Kelly Day

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2005, 02:36:54 AM »
The worcester Roll of honor for civil war soldiers I photocopied from the 1862 or 1863 Worcester city directory.  I think Nutt's history also has a listing.  I don't think its online.  There are some interesting websiites online.  A wonerful site for the Massachusetts 15th Volunteers is online and even includes pictures!  There are worcester folks in the 15th.  My Great grandmother Julia Donohue O'Connor worked as a domestic servant for Henry Emerson Smith.  I actually saw his photo!