Author Topic: Worcester Foleys  (Read 11833 times)

jenjsmith

• Just Moved Here
Worcester Foleys
« on: April 13, 2009, 12:59:40 AM »
My great-grandmother was Catherine Foley who was born in Fitchburg, MA.  She had 2 brothers who moved to Worcester and had a bakery around 1900, early 1900s.  Their biggest client was Holy Cross College and I am told the bakery was in that neighborhood.  I know nothing else unfortunately.  I do have an old picture of them in from of the bakery but that is all.  Any information would be wonderful!  Jen SMith

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Worcester Foleys
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:48:55 AM »
What were her brother's names and about when were they born?  Do you know the name of their parents?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:34:15 AM »
Found Patrick D. Foley and wife Mary on Southbridge St. in the 1910 census
heis naturalized b.c. 1865 in Ireland  no children  Baker in a bakery emigrated 1884(hard to read)

Marriage in Worcester of him and Mary E. Naughton July 18th, 1889 he is a steel worker born ireland son of Daniel & Julia Foley
She also born ireland dau. of Patrick & Margaret Naughton

will now check the IGI

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:22:43 AM »
Jen, what was your great grandmother's married name?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:18:37 AM »
Jen, can you gind a minute to drop some details on this post...I'm interested in helping but I need a few more details.  I would love it if you could scan and download the picture of the bakery and put a link to it so we can see it.  From what I found about Patrick D. Foley is it possible from his birth year c.1865 that he was not a brother but an uncle?

jenjsmith

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 01:22:41 PM »
OKay - here is more info.
  My great-grandmother was Catherine FOley , born July 3rd, 1867 died 1951 - married John Clifford.  LIved in Fitchburg.  Had 3 children - Mildred (my grandmother), Pauline, Henry and Sydney. 
She had 4 brothers - Patrick, Michael, Thomas and WIlliam.  I only have Michael's info.  born 1869 and  died 1914. 

jenjsmith

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 01:23:11 PM »
What were her brother's names and about when were they born?  Do you know the name of their parents?
\
I posted more info - n ot sure how to REPLY TO ALL postss!!!  check the site

jenjsmith

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 01:30:09 PM »

Brothers were Michael (born 1869 died 1914), Patrick, Thomas, William

not sure on parents names

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 02:01:10 PM »
Thanks Jen now we can see the Patrick born around 1869 I found and posted earlier was a brother.  From his marriage we now also know the Parents of Catherine and her brothers were Daniel & Julia Foley. Now the fun begins!  He was naturalized ( became an american citizen) so if you read the postings under the Naturalizations you can search for the index number and send for the papers which will tell you where he was born in Ireland and when he came and where he landed, ;D

jenjsmith

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 02:15:23 PM »
Thanks Jen now we can see the Patrick born around 1869 I found and posted earlier was a brother.  From his marriage we now also know the Parents of Catherine and her brothers were Daniel & Julia Foley. Now the fun begins!  He was naturalized ( became an american citizen) so if you read the postings under the Naturalizations you can search for the index number and send for the papers which will tell you where he was born in Ireland and when he came and where he landed, ;D

You are clearly an expert at this and I am not!!!!  I was just hoping to see what the name of the bakery was and I am finding SO MUCH more out!!  Thank you thank you!  I really need to take a class on geneology as I really do enjoy this... but feel so helpless!    thanks again so much.

DO you know what Julia's maiden name was?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 02:50:39 PM »
I just found Catheines marriage in Fitchburg to John Leonard
29 Dec. 1897   They are both 32 years old
her parents were given as Daniel and Julia (Sullivan) Foley
This was good for me because the data agrees with Patrick's.  I tried to find marriages/deaths of her brothers either in Worcester or Fitchburg without much luck.  There are lots of free genealogy workshops offered at the Worcester Public Library.  We all started off with o skills and had to learn.  I'd also be happy to meet with you sometime at the WPL to show you what it's all about.

jenjsmith

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 03:01:53 PM »
I just found Catheines marriage in Fitchburg to John Leonard
29 Dec. 1897   They are both 32 years old
her parents were given as Daniel and Julia (Sullivan) Foley
This was good for me because the data agrees with Patrick's.  I tried to find marriages/deaths of her brothers either in Worcester or Fitchburg without much luck.  There are lots of free genealogy workshops offered at the Worcester Public Library.  We all started off with o skills and had to learn.  I'd also be happy to meet with you sometime at the WPL to show you what it's all about.

Yes I see that there is one in May although I will be graduating that weekend after working on my Master's in Elem. Ed for 5 years now.  But maybe the next one.  Now that I have kids of my own, I am really into family history and actually history in general.  DId it say the only siblings Catherine had were the ones I listed?  I check the ellis island website but haven't found too much.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 03:05:05 PM »
I just got off the Mormon site familysearch.com and found this

William Foley son of Daniel Foley and Julia Sullivan christened 19 March 1864
Emlagh District county Kerry.

I wonder if this is catherine's brother?   Couldn't find anyone else or marriage of parents....where is Emlagh?

I'd encourage you to get her obituary from the Fitchburg newspaper which would list family (hopefully)

You should go for the naturalization record for Patrick Foley. 

jenjsmith

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 01:06:04 AM »
FYI:  My grandmother went by Katherine or Catherine 

jenjsmith

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 05:03:19 AM »
I meant my great-grandmother!!:)   Trying to keep it all straight....