Author Topic: Honora Cahill & Daniel Manning  (Read 14569 times)

brighteyes4

• Just Moved Here
Honora Cahill & Daniel Manning
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »
I am researching my gr-grandparents who lived in Worcester, Ma. and met &  married there in August 1884. I can't find out what port they arrived to, but possibly Boston or Canada, as I have a picture of Daniel taken in Quebec. (They did not arrive together) I was told that Honora came as a teenager & may have lived with an aunt, but I'm not sure and don't have a name. for her. Any information anyone can give me is greatly appreciated! ( Honora was from Cty Clare born abt 1854 and Daniel from Cty Kerry born abt 1853. I'm really stumped! Thanks!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Honora Cahill & Daniel Manning
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:03:26 AM »
Paydirt!

Daniel Manning born 15 May 1853  Glebe, Co. Kerry
parents  Eugene (Owen) Manning
             Julia Brennan
sponsors: James Brennan & Mary Coffey

99% certain it's them!   found on irishgenealogy.ie

also saw deaths of Owen & Julia in Worcester c. 1894

Marriage of Eugene Manning of Lacka & Julia Brenean of Workhouse in the parish of Kenmare on 8 Oct. 1852      cha-ching!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:17:31 AM by merski »

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:22:26 PM »
Think I found citation for nauralization so you can send for it...
Owen Manning of Worcester Mass. vol.10-238 1/2 born ireland about 53 years old
Nat. date 6 Oct. 1873
Worcester Mass.
Worcester Supreme Judicial Court.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 01:08:07 PM »
Naturalizations can be found on ancestry.com under immigration heading.  I advise strongly that you send for Owen's record because 1) It may verify place of birth 2) It will give ship arrival date and also port, which can be very helpful.

Can you please post Daniel's siblings names so we can try to find them in the census records or even in Massachusetts vital records?

Owen Manning died in Worcester 26 Nov. 1894 age 73   (says single but we know he was married-irish divorce??) parents were Joseph Manning and Margaret Leahy
Julia Manning died 16 Nov. 1896 in worcester age 54 (!) widow of Owen Manning   her parents were Andrew Brennan and Catherine Sullivan

Are you from the area?  Can you get to Worcester??

brighteyes4

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 01:32:12 PM »
My research found Julia's parents to be Daniel Brenan + Bridget Coffey with a possible other daughter named Ellen. That's about all I've found on them, and who knows if its correct?! I presume all Daniel Mannings siblings as being born in the 1850-60's in Kerry Ireland.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 04:01:10 AM »
Where did you find the info about Julia's parents?   What were the names of the kids and where did you get those?

brighteyes4

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:36:14 AM »
At familysearch.org & emeraldancestors - as well as poking around here and there!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 12:13:05 PM »
Julia Manning's obit says that the children are Mrs. Julia Betters and Mrs. Theobald Lyons (Bridget aka Delia) both of Worcester & Mrs. Frank Leroy of Omaha Nebraska.  Ring any bells anyone???
If the other children had predeceased her, they might not have been mentioned in the obit.

brighteyes4

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 04:58:53 PM »
Where did you find the obit? The name Julia Betters I came across (wife of Joseph), but the other names I don't recognize. What site did you find the obit on?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 02:17:06 AM »
genealogybank.com

There's very little info on it.  I was thinking that the next time I was in Worcester that I'd see if there was anything more in the other worcester newspapers.

Where do you live?  Anywhere near worcester?  We've had people on this board from Connecticut, Virginia & the Carolinas and even california & Texas!  It helps us to help you by knowing this...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:20:18 AM by merski »

brighteyes4

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 07:28:52 AM »
Connecticut. I may be able to take a ride up there, but not sure where to go! Could you tell me where you located this info so I can use the same site? Both Daniel and Honora Cahill prove to be elusive. Thanks!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 08:22:16 AM »
I'd be happy to meet you at the Worcester Public Library to show you what they have.

brighteyes4

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 03:28:47 PM »
Really? You live near by? I would love to nail this family down for sure! Aileen

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 04:32:03 PM »
about 25 minutes from Worcester...email me and we'll meet there.  Go online to see their hours and we'll figure out a good time to meet.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 07:41:52 AM »
In 1907 John Ahern was coming to worcester  to his step brother Theobald Lyons.  John's mother was listed as Nora Ahearn  in High Street Killarney, co. kerry.
Theobald was born in 1865 in Worcester to Timothy and Honora (Nora) Lyons.  It appears nora's maiden name was also lyons.
Timothy died in Worcester in 1865 and it looks pretty likely that Nora went back to ireland and remarried.  This verifies a very strong Killarney area connection, I believe to the Mannings.