Author Topic: Thomas J. Finneran  (Read 37592 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Thomas J. Finneran
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 01:51:43 AM »
His death certificate or marriage license may have his mother's maiden name on them.  Did he marry and whom and about when and I'll look it up on NEHGS.  If other siblings married, give me their info in case the maiden name isn't on one.  This would only work for Mass. records.

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 05:06:19 PM »
He married in Boston, 01 Aug 1878  Annie Lyons daughter of Thomas & Ellen of Watertown, Ma. He died in Boston April 20, 1917.

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 07:30:52 AM »
The information from the Forester report arrived today ..... not alot of help.... listed his birth place as Ireland,  He did list that his father was dead and his mother was alive and well (age 75) .... he also listed he had six brothers and two sisters, no names only ages and that one of the brothers was dead. (date of this report was 15 Jan 1885).  The death report listed his wife, two son's Thomas & Francis and three daughters Ellen, Annie & Mable were still alive (20 April 1917).  Maybe I should send for the death record from Boston, it may tell me his mother's name and birth place? Would be nice if I could find his obit ... I checked on genealogybank and found nothing.  :(

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 02:57:21 AM »
See if worcester library  has the boston papers from that time on microfilm or go on random acts of genealogical kindness to look up obit at the BPL or contact the BPL directly.

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 06:23:27 AM »
I checked with both Worcester & Boston libraries ;Worcester's holding of Boston Newspapers only go back to 1960 .... Boston found two death notices one in the Saturday Boston Post & one in the Sunday Globe [they were the same],  but not the obituary .. the notice listed the church where the funeral mass was held, it might have been his parish ... maybe I'll drop them a line to see if they have any info on him or his family.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 11:38:42 AM »
Perhaps there was an irish catholic newspaper (the Pilot?) that you could ask if the BPL owns.  Worcester had the Messenger...why wouldn't Boston???
Just checked and the Boston Pilot was ressurected in 1909 as the voice of the archdiocese of Boston...don't know if it had obits in it or not...
Also the Irish Echo was a newspaper published in Boston Thanks to brophy genealogy blog
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:46:34 AM by merski »

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 03:29:44 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the Catholic newspapers, I'll give them a look .....