Author Topic: Thomas J. Finneran  (Read 37600 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Thomas J. Finneran
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 03:34:12 PM »
Proceed with caution...I hope you get to communicate with this poster and I hope very much that it is true.  I'd feel the same way if I got this material.  You know I'd practically kill to know where My Worcester Dennis O'Connor and his wife Julia Donahue were from in Ireland and their parents' names....

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 03:04:46 AM »
5gen-I would go for the naturalization papers Of Thomas J. Finneran and then also get his obituary or one of his sons' obits.  That would be a great help.

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »
Thank you all! I will follow up on Thomas ..... :)

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 05:04:42 PM »
Capecollen .... thank you..... John T Finneran's obit was my Grandmothers nephew........... I have not tied in the others but I will keep digging ....  ;D

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 01:47:25 AM »
Helen, would you mind sending me that obit or posting a link to it here?  Thanks!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 04:02:04 PM »
5gen, will you let us know what you find?? 

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 02:36:09 AM »
Will do Mary Ellen! I went to St John's Friday and got more info on the Finnerans buried there ... off to WPL to look up more obits.
see if I can find the tie between them ... lot's to do  ;D
 Jack

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 07:52:59 AM »
Hey 5gen...have you uncovered anything yet????

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 07:54:15 PM »
 No hard facts yet ... I have been down with that bug so I have not done much researching... I did send for Thomas Finnerans NA papers just yesterday ...wait and see what they may have for me.
5gen

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 02:17:59 AM »
ooooooooh! The waiting is killing me....sorry you weren't well.

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 03:30:58 PM »
In my mailbox this afternoon was an envelope from the National Archives Center.... enclosed was Thomas's record!  In shrot it stated:  Thomas J. Finneran  of Boston a Teamster, an Alien, and a free white person; that he was born in Roscommon Ireland the seventh day of February 1856 and is now about 24 years; that he arrived at New York on or about the 1st day of May 1870.  On 25 August 1880 Thomas took the oath and was admitted to become a citizen of the United States! So  I am of the Roscommon Finnerans ..... now the next task is  to find the town they cam from! Always more digging ...... I love to find out this info soon ..... I am going to Ireland this summer ... would love to check out the homeland!  ;D

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 02:52:14 AM »
Who were the witnesses?  Great find!  Are you certain that this is your relative?  Does the birth year fit?  I'm very happy for you!  Even if you go to roscommon and know that it was your ancestor's county of origin, the should be enough, though I would check out that Taughmaconnell connection to Worcester Finnerans.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:02:38 AM by merski »

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 01:02:47 PM »
I am almost 100 % sure this is John's little brother; I had his birth date as June 1856 this paperwork gives his birth as February 1856 ... the two witnesses were  a Peter last name I can't make out and a Thomas J. same thing on his last name unreadable ... Peters looks like Carin ... still working on them! sorry ... Anyone have access to New York Passanger Lists? (1 May1870). I believe Thomas died some time between 1920 &1930. .............I'll keep on digging  :)

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 01:42:09 AM »
witnesses are peter gavin ...still can not make out thomas's,,,,,,,,,,,, ???

fivegenirish

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 04:59:43 PM »
I found more on Thomas  :) ... He died in April 1917 @ 60 years old ... He was hit by a runaway horse & wagon ... he was a Forester and Tiara has his records ... he was a AOH member! He was a contractor, the head  superintendent of the street watering under Mayor Quincy .. his brother in law was the Assistant Corporation Counsel Joseph P. Lyons.  He leaves his wife  and five children Thomas  an engineer  in the sewer dept., Francis , editor of the Forester  and presidant of the Ward 23 Democratic Club, Ella, Mable and Annette he lived in west roxbury ... taken from the Boston Journal; 21 April 1917. I will send for the Tiara records ... maybe I'll find a  hometown or his Mothers last name ... like I say ...  keep digging! ;D