Author Topic: Family help  (Read 4080 times)

DJD60

• Just Moved Here
Family help
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:43:18 AM »
OK this is my second post for help.  According to my g-grandfathers obituary James Fitzgerald from Jerome Ave in Auburn had two nephews living at the time of his death in 1940  a Richard Fitzgerald of Boston and a Thomas Lynch of Brookland New York.  That may mean he had a brother and sister here.  Unless these nephews were here in the US alone.

So now where do I begin my search?  How many records would have parents names?  I know a marriage license would but I would need names and dates to look that up, right.  Also death certificates would have parents names but again where to look.  By the way his parents were Morris (Maurice) Fitzgerald and Mary McNamara.   My Dad is 89 and he does not remember any family on his Grandfathers side of the family.

Thank you again for all your help
Diana

worcmik

• Townie
Re: Family help
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 08:11:24 PM »
According to a death record in Worcester there was a Morris & Mary Fitzgerald that lived on Pine St. when their daughter Mary Jane, born about 04/21/1855, she was 2 years and 4 months old when she died on 08/21/1857 of Dysentery. She was buried at Tatnuck cemetrey, see posts on this forum about Tatnuck. I haven't looked for her birth record.
See: Search for missing Friends 1861

DJD60

• Just Moved Here
Re: Family help
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:55:44 AM »
Thank you so much for all your help.  Now other than the census where did you find that information?  I do have immigration papers for James which states  he arrived in the US in May of 1882.  I do know he lived in Worcester and married Mary Landy,  I have a copy of the marriage from St.John's church. Then they moved to Auburn in 1893 and remained on Jerome Ave until his death in 1940. 
We have no information of his parents or brothers and sisters, just that his parents were Morris and Mary (McNamara) Fitzgerald.   How did you find birth records for Richard? Mary's parents were Anastasia (Whitty) and Martin Landy.

I am trying to locate other family in the hopes of finding where they lived in Ireland.  I know James said he came from Waterford but my father and uncle and other family has said Cork.  I know Waterford could be where he boarded ship to come to the US.    My father was twenty when James passed away but he does not remember any other family.

I guess I just don't know how to search.  I know there is an state archive in Waltham but I do not know how to research there or where to begin.  I have joined the local genealogy society hoping I will learn how to research.  I have lots of Obits and I do visit cemetery's.  I am familiar with the census also but I need to go beyond that.  Genealogy is fascinating and confusing at the same time.
Again thank you for all of your help
Diana