Author Topic: Grogans  (Read 7954 times)

secullen21

• Just Moved Here
Grogans
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:22:39 AM »

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had any naturalization information on James and Bridget Grogan. I know Bridget arrived in 1861 but I am not sure about her maiden name.  James died, I think, in 1890 but Bridget and their nine children were still living in Worcester in 1920.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you!!

cheryl

• Townie
Re: Grogans
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 03:47:25 AM »
Hello,

Just recently the Massachusetts Death Index came online at www.familysearch.org pilot search.   Click on search, search pilot, click on US on the map, scroll down to Massachusetts.   It is not completed, but I did find that one of James and Bridget's children died as an adult.   His death is listed on this website including his mother's maiden name. 
You can also search on www.sec.state.ma.us for births, marriages and deaths in Massachusetts.   These don't have records attached to them on line but if you join the Worcester MA www.roots.com mailing group and ask for a look up have determining which record you would like to obtain, someone will usually look it up for you.   I did see a possible marriage for James Grogan and Bridget in Worcester (her last name is not spelled the same way on both records).   
These two sites are free to use.   
If you need help finding the information, just ask, but I thought you might want to find it yourself.

Cheryl

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 01:09:50 PM »
There are two possible James Grogan naturalizations listed on the index.  You can get original records from NARA.   Interestingly, the one most likely to be your James Grogan does list country of allegiance as England. 
Grogan, James
no address given
vol 7-621 Worcester County Supreme Court
England age 26 years
naturalization date Nov 21, 1846

Grogan, James
415 3/4 vol 2 yr 1867-1874
Great Britain b. June 1842
naturalization date Oct 28, 1874

This James is naturalized in Springfield by I think there may be a connection between Worcester & Springfield Grogan.   

Presumed mother-in-law is living with the family on the 1870 census also with yet another spelling of her name.   Her death should be listed in the Massachusetts Vital Records Search Index or on NEHGS website.   I did not see it on the familysearch.org pilot site but I'm not quite sure what name to be looking for.....

Cheryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 09:29:12 AM »
I found naturalizations with alliegance to England for irish born people as it had them "under her thumb".  Some clerks might be finicky enough to write England or Great Britain rather than ireland.  You'd actually have to see the actual record to know....

secullen21

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:29:34 AM »

Thank you Cheryl and Helen,

That is all wonderful help and I would be more than happy for you to send me whatever data you both have as I am currently living in Scotland and first had research is therefore rather difficult an any help otherwise is very much appreciated! 

I've come across the same issure with Bridget's last name and am not sure whether it is Leary or Lehanney....

I do know that James fought in the civil war so the first James on the naturalization records is probably the better bet...however he fought for an Ohio regiment.  (Pension records on Ancestry.com)  I am not sure how common it was to join a regiment in another State!?  Plus that would open a whole new kettle of fish!

Thanks again!!

Sarah

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 05:39:25 AM »
Hi Helen,

Could you check on a death for Anne Leahy?  On the Mass Vital Records Search, they have listed the following Anne's
Laverty 1886, Leahey 1885, Leahy 1886 and Lehan 1885

By the way the family is indexed as Grover in 1870.

Cheryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 06:52:05 AM »
I'm going out on a limb because I don't know enough civil war history...James grogan may have signed up with a worcester regiment first and then sometimes after a battle if their regiment leaves them behind as lost or wounded they'll hook up with another company.  I'm going to check a database I have on worcester civil war burials and get back to you all.  I got all excited when I saw a relative on the Ohio 177th board until I realized it was you!  Good sleuthing secullen!

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 09:12:35 AM »
Well, I didn't find it in the civil war graves database, but I sent off for burial information and I'm willing to get a photo for you if you'd like one.

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 01:52:25 PM »
Sarah,
I'm not sure how much information you have as your original question was about naturalization.   James Grogan is in application for pension index, recorded in the year 1881.   I believe I may have seen this on www.footnote.com a few nights ago.   I do not have a paid subscription but you can browse and look at the "quick image" feature.   You can order his pension records from NARA.   There are two options, one costs $25 the other $75.
Cheryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 07:57:06 AM »
Found burial information at st. John's cemetery and will mail it to you .Email me your mailing address    mer330athotmail.com   
(substitute @ for at in email.  Trying to prevent junk emails.  Mary Ellen