Author Topic: Info on Constable Jeremiah Kane & Mary Boland  (Read 35035 times)

worcmik

• Townie
Re: Info on Constable Jeremiah Kane & Mary Boland
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 05:51:29 PM »
   "How do I check if they are buried at Tatnuck Cemetery?"

You should look at the Holbrook microfiche of Worcester's Vitials. You scan the death register pages for that  period of time, or find him in the index then go to the page. Then you should check the "Place of Interment" column. If it really says St. John's, then that is all you can do for now. No Tatnuck records  are known to exist. That does not mean the record is correct, there was a history of providing incomplete/incorrect data to the Worcester clerk by the time Jeremiah Kane died.
   I have scanned, page by page, all the Worc. death records and extracted the "Tatnuck" ones. I may have missed Jeremiah Kane's entry, or I skipped it 'cause it said St. John's. I have looked a parts of some other towns' death records too. Even if I looked at them all I don't think I could get 2000 names. The short answer to your question is "You ask Worcmik, he's got a home-made list."

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2006, 03:10:39 AM »
I encourage you to go to Holy Cross College library and read the O'Flynn papers.   He may have had details that you are looking for.  I wish I could have that kind of lising for my family.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 01:11:49 PM »
The Telegram & Gazette (they dropped the "Worcester" from the name) for Wednesday March 5, 2006, in a story by their staff about the St. Patrick's Day parade, mentions Jeremiah Kane. The story points out that it has been 160 years since the first Irish police officers in Worcester. The Greater Worcester Police Emerald Society; "In recognition of the 160th anniversary, and of the 10th anniversary of the society takiing part in the parade, the society has created the Jeremiah Kane and Peter Donlievie Shamrock Award, in recognition of the Irish pioneers. The inaugural award winner is James Doyle, who spent 34 years as a Worcester police officer, retiring in 1995."
BVIrish must be quite the expert on officer Kane by now.
ps. I noticed that this was the string of posts that I failed to properly credit Cheryl for her excellent work. She is an excellent researcher, with incrediable internet skills.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2008, 02:05:50 AM »
I agree with you worcmik, Cheryl is a patient, fastidious and incredible researcher....Cheryl, want to do a workshop for us???

bvirish

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2008, 06:20:19 AM »
Interesting...... It's ironic that the usuall parade date would have been Palm Sunday this year. The need for "Irish" constables was most likely prompted by the Palm Sunday riots of 1847. I believe Peter Dunlevie,Jr. the constable is the son of Peter Dunlievie the proprietor of the Swan Hotel? As the story goes .......Donlevie's establishment was overrun by an angry mob on Palm Sunday in 1847.

As you can imagine I have gathered a significant amount of info on JK. Sadly though, it has been difficult to find information on Dunlevie. If anyone has information regarding Peter Dunlevie, it might warrent starting a new post. Not to rain on anyones parade, but my research indicates Kane and Dunlevie were appointed by the 1849 administration of Mayor Henry Chapin and not the 1848 administration of Levi Lincoln, Jr.  Although, one source indicates it could have been 1848. I guess it's not the dates that are important, but the recognition of the sacrifice the men and women in blue make every day!!

Of course I never would have made as much progress if it wasn't for all the great detective work done by the folks of this forum!!

Cheryl, 

Thank you for the Waterford link. I am just getting around to checking it out.

Worcmik,

Thanks for the heads-up on the article.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone and their families!!

BVIrish

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 03:40:24 AM »
Hello BV,
I'm cleaning out my emails and found an obituary for Madge Kane of Leominster wife of Edward.  I'm not sure if I had sent this to you or not.  I also can't find the correct posting for this but do remember following Edward to Leominster while looking for his brother?? can't remember the name now.

From the Fitchburg Sentinel August 6 1942 (found on ancestry.com)
Mrs Edward Kane
Leominster, August 6.  Mrs Margaret A (Mahoney) Kane, 53, wife of Edward Kane, 7 Priest Street, died at her home today.  She was a native of Worcester.
     Besides her husband Mrs. Kane is survived by three daughters, Lieut. Katheryn R. Kane, US Navy,  Newport RI; Miss Madeline Kane of Brooklyn and Mrs. Eleanor Machel of Syracuse, NY; her father, John H Maloney of Worcester; a sister, Mrs. Helen O'Connell of Millbury and two brothers, John and James of Worcester.
     The funeral will be from the home Monday morning with a solemn high mass of requiem at 9 o'clock in St. Leo's Church.

(Yes the newspaper has maiden name as Mahoney and father's name as Maloney)

bvirish

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2008, 07:35:23 AM »
Cheryl,

Thank you. This is George's younger brother. The correct maiden name is Maloney.
If I recall, The Worc.Telegram had a similar error. Thanks to this clue I now have the address in Leominster.
Thanks!!!

BV