Author Topic: Info on Constable Jeremiah Kane & Mary Boland  (Read 35036 times)

cheryl

• Townie
Re: Info on Constable Jeremiah Kane & Mary Boland
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 05:08:28 AM »
Sorry correction Magaret Kane is living with John Kane in the 1860 cenus (not 1869) typo

bvirish

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 04:23:22 PM »
cheryl,

Thanks for the information regarding John, Bridget, Margaret and Patrick. This should help me in narrowing my search for Jeremiah and Mary.

I spent some time at the cemetery on Sunday to check out several Kanes (John, Patrick, Mary and Johanna) with burial dates in the 1800s. Unfortunately, most of them did not have headstones. I need to visit the cemetery office during the week to get futher information on these sites. It could be awhile until I get to this.

Purely by accident I found two Moran headstones near each other. They were also adjacent to the plot were Mary E. Kane is buried. By the way, all three graves list/contain several Mulvehills. One headstone listed Peter Moran, Ellen Kane, Elizabeth and John Mulvehill. Unfortunately, Mary Kane was not listed on the headstone. Of course this does not mean she is not buried there. I will follow-up at the cemetery. Thanks again for this bit of information.

I will continue to keep you updated.

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 02:10:29 AM »
Paper: Worcester Telegram & Gazette (MA)
Title: Joan E. Bennett, 70
Date: July 16, 2002
Section: DEATHS
Page: B5

WORCESTER -- Joan E. (Mulvehill) Bennett, 70, of 285 Plantation St., formerly of 5 Woods Ave., died Monday, July 15, in the Hermitage Nursing Center.

She leaves her husband of 49 years, Rollin B. Bennett Jr.; a son, James R. Bennett of Hubbardston; a daughter, Kathleen Carelli of Worcester; and four grandchildren. She was born in Worcester, daughter of John F. and Dolora (Goodwin) Mulvehill. She graduated from Commerce High School, where she was a class officer. She also graduated from Salter Secretarial School.Mrs. Bennett was an office supervisor at Riley Stoker Co. from 1973 to 1984. Previously, she worked in the accounting department at the Harrington & Richardson Co., and was a teller at the former Worcester Federal Savings & Loan Association. She was a member of St. Stephen's Church, and a former member of St. George's Church and its women's club. She enjoyed the beach.

The funeral will be held on Thursday, July 18, from Athy Memorial Home, 111 Lancaster St., with a Mass at 10 a.m. in St. George's Church, 38 Brattle St. Burial will be private in Worcester County Memorial Park, Paxton. A calling hour is 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Thursday, July 18, in the funeral home.

Paper: Worcester Telegram & Gazette (MA)
Title: JOHN F. MULVEHILL, 84
Date: September 12, 1989
Page: A8

John F. Mulvehill, 84, of 275 Pleasant St. died Sunday in The Medical Center of Central Massachusetts - Memorial.

His wife, Delora (Goodwin) Mulvehill, died in 1970.He leaves a daughter, Joan E. Bennett of Worcester; a grandson; a granddaughter; and two great-granddaughters.

He was born in Worcester, son of Michael E. and Elizabeth (Moran) Mulvehill, and lived here most of his life.

He worked for the Boston & Albany Division, New York Central System, for 45 years, retiring in 1969.

Mr. Mulvehill was a member of St. Paul's Cathedral parish and Local 578, Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees, AFL-CIO.

The funeral will be held tomorrow from Athy Memorial Home, 111 Lancaster St., with a Mass at 10 a.m. in St. Paul's Cathedral, 15 Chatham St. Burial will be in St. John's Cemetery.

Calling hours at the funeral home are 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. tomorrow.

Page: A8

Copyright (c) 1989 Worcester Telegram & Gazette Corp.

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 04:01:16 AM »
  I have no idea if there is a connection but my husband's great grandmother's brother, Cornelius J. (who signed his name on my husband's great grandfather's naturalization papers as Corny)Maroney married Margaret Mulvihill in 1899. From the 1920 Census she appears to have immigrated in 1893 and they were living on East Central Street in Worcester. They had three children, Helen, Mary and John.

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 08:28:10 AM »
When I was at the WPL today, I looked up Mary Kane.  I had called St. John's to get the date for the Mary B who died in 1907 and it turns out she was the daughter of Owen M and Catherine (O'Neil) Kane age 30.  Looking through the street directories though (which I should have done first), Mary Kane of 14 Goddard St died Sunday, April 21, 1901, age 72.
On Monday, April 22 in the Worc T&G there is a small write up to the effect that in the city Mary Boland widow of Jeremiah Kane died funeral from 14 Goddard St, mass St. John's on Tuesday.
I checked the Worcester Spy? and found the following:
The funeral of Mrs. Mary Kane took place this morning from her home, 14 Goddard Street, with a requiem high mass in St. John's church at 9 o'clock.  Rev. James A Hurley was celebrant.
Among the floral tributes were a pillow inscribed "Mother" from her daughter Mary; a mound from the children of George B. Kane and Peter Moran, her grandchildren; a wreath of ivy leaves from her grandson, Fred Moran; cluster of Easter lilies from Mr. and MRs. George F. MOran and family; pillow of roses and ferns from Mr. and Mrs. Michael Mulvehill and family; mound of Easter lilies and cluster of violets from Mr. and Mrs. William Dorman; wreath of roses and ferns from Misses Katie and Delia Flynn.
The bearers were John A Boland, George H Coonan, Michael Casey, Nathaniel J Jones, Carris Brighman and Richard Coonan.
Rev. James A. Hurley officiated at the grave in St. John's cemetery.

bvirish

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 03:13:18 PM »
Cheryl,

Thank you. I owe you big time!! You solved the following mysteries:

1.) How the Mulvehill's are related to the Kane's. Your information appears to be spot-on with the cemetery records.

2.) Who Ellen Kane was married to.

3.) When Mary B. died.

I checked my list from St. John's cemetery and it does not list a Mary Kane for 1901. This tells me that the information for her grave site most likely did not make it into the computer system.(Assuming she was buried there.) I will have them look for the handwritten plot card. Hopefully it is still on file. Additionally, I will check-out other spellings as suggested.

Thanks to your diligent work, I can now send for the death certificate. Hopefully this will lend some insight into who her parents were.

Thanks to you and everone else that responded, I am well on my way to learning more about JK and MBK.

BV

bvirish

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 03:27:02 PM »
Corky3,

I did not see a Margaret (Mulvihill) Moroney listed on the records for this particular plot or on the adjacent headstones. I did notice that the spelling on the headstones was with an "e" and not "i". However, the printout from the cemetery had the named spelled with and "i" for some and with an "e" for others.
Possibly some connection.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 04:20:02 PM »
All,
As Merski found that the "died in 1907 Mary B Kane" was the daughter of Owen Kane and Catherine (O'Neil) Kane("Katie Kane" on the gravestone that sits on the O'Neil's corner plot.), Katie's five brothers served in the Civil War, as did her husband, Owen Kane. Her sister, Annie, married Richard O'Flynn. Their father was Charles O'Neil, the one that bought the 1st plot at St. John's. (His name was pulled 1st at the 'plottery'), he wrote two books, published the 1st: The Military Adventures of Charles O'Neil, the other ....gone? Anyway. If Owen Kane is a relation to Jeremiah Kane, you can look at the Family Tree of Thomas O'Neil on Rootsweb .  Kane Square in Worcester is where Owen's house was.
I recently looked up an other sister of the fighting O'Neils Miss Mary O'Neil's funeral notice in the newspapers (1920) not much info there. I'm not sure of the real story there...She was noncompus mentus (forgive the spelling, archaic term and all), that is she needed a guardian into adulthood. Richard O'Flynn was cryptic on this subject, he didn't like the O'Neils much.
anyway... John

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2006, 01:53:43 AM »
Worcmik, that was Cheryl, not merski who did that fine lookup of death and obit.  I haven't done much for this project other than my initial stuff...I'm off to the National Archives this morning to look up any additional info on Jeremiah Conners and for Lawrence Dolan for a couple of people I'm helping.  Finally broke down and subscribed online to ancestry.com.   Cheryl, how do you do lookups for Worc. County naturalizations on ancestry?  Isn't that what you sent me?

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2006, 04:12:05 AM »
All,
   So it was. It was also Cheryl that gave some great info on the name Mayo to "Ted," but he did not believe that the Mayos were the same as his people.
    Still waiting to see if the Owen Kane is connected. john

bvirish

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 01:22:24 PM »
Folks,

I received the death certificate for Mary (Boland) Kane. Information as follows:

Place of Birth: Ireland
Name of Father: Michael Boland
Birth place of Father: Ireland
Name of Mother: Unknown
Birth place of Mother:Ireland
Place of Burial: St John's

I will keep you posted of any new developments.

John,

Not sure if Owen is related to Jeremiah. Probably not. It is on my very long list of things to check-out though.
All I know about Owen is basically what you stated. The Kane's owned the land that straddled Millbury Street near the intersection of Ballard street. Hence the name Kane's square (or corner). Thank you for the futher detail. Very interesting story......

Thanks again to everyone that gave me the great leads.

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 10:07:24 AM »
Bvirish,
      Rain today, so I visited WPL to look at the History of Worc. Police (the official title ? keyword search for it, or browse Local history call # 352.2...) I learned Jerermiah Kane was named a constable by the newly elected mayor Henry Chapin in the fall of 1848. Mayor Levi Lincoln had named the first "city" constables on April 17 1848, shortly after the Feb. 28, 1848 birth of the City of Worcester. not much more about him.
    Then I reread the posts here and realized that I had not looked for the "earliest time Jeremiah would have needed a plot." So I did, and found Mary's fifth child:Town of Worcester Death register page 207; Michael Cain 3days old b. 12/21/1847 son of Jeremiah Cain, interred at the "Catholic Burial Ground."
     The Catholic Burial Ground =Tatnuck Burial Ground. I would not doubt that Jeremiah was buried there too. I know of only six burials at Tatnuck in the two years spanning 1867 and 1868. none after that, and I have looked. O'Flynn says there had been few in the years leading up to his 1876 transcribbing visits at Tatnuck. I would bet that he, like a few of those "late" burials, had owned a plot at Tatnuck since before St. John's Cemetery was an option. I'll bet that like them , he was interred in his plot, and later reinterred at St. John's. I suspect that unlike the 1867/1868 Tatnuck burials I know about, he was mistakenly reported to the city as having been buried at Tatnuck. This may be true of a late Desplaines/Maple death that I recently learned of. Now, I wonder if it was a common mistake. That would spell trouble for creating a Tatnuck list from the civil record.
      Mary (Boland) Kane died after the plan to move the remains was in place, so she could not go there. Cheryl posted the "...grave at St. John's Cemetery" info, so we know she is there. How sure are you that Mary is not in the plot she owned. She could have been left off the plot card (that happened a lot in the 19th century, I don't know of that happening so  late, but...
So what do you think about your connection to Tatnuck?        John

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 12:41:14 PM »
Might this hold valuable information?

Worcester County, Massachusetts, Probate Index, Vol. 1 & 2 A - Z, July 1731-1881 Record
about Jeremiah Kane
Given Name: Jeremiah
Surname: Kane
Record Date: 1866 
Residence: Worcester 
Record Type: Administration 

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 02:27:51 PM »
Correction:  Jeremiah was reported to the city as having been buried in St. Johns, but may have been buried in Tatnuck.

bvirish

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2006, 07:39:41 AM »

Thanks again for the great information.....

Unfortunately, I have been traveling and have not had the opportunity to get to the cemetery to follow-up on the missing Kane's (or Cains).
Someone in my Family has volunteered to check this out within the next couple weeks. We plan on checking out the possibility of them being listed under the name "Cain". I might try to give the cemetery a call.

I am pretty certain that Mary B. Kane is not buried with Mary E. Kane. Although, I did not actually see the plot card. Her daughter-in-law (Mary C. Kane) was buried there and then reinterned in another grave in 1906.

How do I check if they are buried at Tatnuck Cemetery?

What is the significance of the probate record? Is this something that can be found at the Worcester County court house and will it contain more detailed information?

John,

I found the book in the library you mentioned. Thanks.... Unfortunately, they do not have a copy that can be checked-out. Only a reference copy is available(you probably know this). I skimed through it. It looks like in has a lot of great info. When I have time, I plan on reading through it at the Library and taking some detailed notes.

As always, I will keep you posted.

BVI