Author Topic: Marion COSTELLO and James ELLIS  (Read 53157 times)

barrel

• Just Moved Here
Re: Marion COSTELLO and James ELLIS
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2009, 03:18:06 PM »
RE: Edith ELLIS

I checked back at my notes over the past few days and this is what I have on Edith:
1900 census she is in Worcester with her mother at 24 Salem.  She is single - no reference to a marriage or divorce, etc. She is still "Edith Ellis". I realize census information can be flawed.  I'm going back to the library to use ancestry.com and will try to find her in the 1910 census.     Beryl

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2009, 04:43:50 PM »
RE: Ellis Death dates
Here are the Ellis family death dates. I'm looking for their obituaries.  I'd appreciate any help or suggestions in obtaining them.

James ELLIS b. May 30 1835 Ireland or England d. 17 Sept 1888  in   ? , buried in Worcester Hope Cemetery
He married on 4 oct 1858 Lowel MA, Marion or May Ann COSTELLO(b. Mar 1840 in Ireland d. Buried Mar 28 1920 Worcester) .
Their children all born in Worcester:
- George Herbert ELLIS b. Jul 20 1860 d. 5 Apr 1863 buried Worcester
- Charles Samuel ELLIS b. 1 Nov 1863  d.13 Apr 1926 Brooklyn NY (buried in Worcester 16 Apr 1926)
    married Martha HENRY b. 1867-1868 Belfast Ireland  d. Brooklyn NY 26 Jun 1923  buried 28 Jun 1923 Worcester Hope Cemetery.
- Edith M. ELLIS b. 18 Sep 1866   died ?
- Franklin Henry ELLIS b. 18 Oct 1868  died ?
- Maud "Fannie" ELLIS b. 7 Jul 1872 d. 7 Jul 1876 Worcester
- Madeline "Marion" Costello ELLIS b. 20 Jan 1882 buried 18 Oct 1952 Worcester

Franklin, who lived in Worcester most or all of his life, was not in his father's Cemetery plot so may have his own family plot.

There may be obituaries for Franklin, Charles, Marion C, and their parents. I'm hoping they can give the whereabouts of their sister Edith (also her surname if married/remarried).

Of the Ellis children, I know for sure that Charles and his wife Martha were childless.

Maybe Franklin, Marion C or Edith had children which will help find ELLIS/COSTELLO descendants to share family history.

Thanks for any help.    Beryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2009, 02:26:08 AM »
I don't know where I saw it but there was a william Roziskey with a wife Marion, daughter Marion and granddaughter Marion in one of the census records. weird, huh?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2009, 03:55:00 AM »
I wish MY family had articles about them in the old newspapers!  Good work Helen!

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2009, 05:00:18 AM »
I don't know where I saw it but there was a william Roziskey with a wife Marion, daughter Marion and granddaughter Marion in one of the census records. weird, huh?

Yep, that's weird alright. <grin>

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2009, 05:07:18 AM »
RE: Franklin ELLIS - marriage announcement
On genealogybank an article on the marriage of Franklin Ellis to Eva Ann Townsend. After honeymoon they were residing in the Hall block on Wellington St. Date of marriage 11 NOV 1903.  Helen

Thanks Helen!  I greatly appreciate this. And the news tidbit about the horse's mishap adds a bit of color to this family's history. It's great!

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2009, 11:01:13 AM »
I found an interesting connection by reviewing the posts for this topic.

In Reply#15 Helen gave me the names of James Ellis' pallbearers at his burial. They included Nathan TAYLOR and Horace BRIGGS, who, Mary Ellen mentioned in Reply#47, are the sponsors for Charles COSTELLO on the naturalization papers.

Interesting, isn't it.

Hopefully the naturalization papers will give their relationship with the Ellis and Costellos. I can't wait to get them.

Beryl.

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2009, 04:57:45 PM »
Thank you very much, Helen,  for the info on Misters Briggs and Taylor!

Could someone check the front few pages of the 1881 city directory for the release date or the cut off date for new information before they released the 1881 edition of the directory.

I found out that Calvin GOODWIN and family left Canada after the Census was taken April of 1881. Since they are in the 1881 Worcestor city directory, knowing the release date of the directory will help narrow the time period they left Canada. I tried to check for this on the ancestry.com directories but they didn't scan those pages.  Thanks. Beryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2009, 07:24:13 AM »
The names Briggs and Griggs are so close that maybe there's a mispelling somewhere and Horace is related to Addie.

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2009, 09:36:07 AM »
Thank you, Helen, for your help as well. The artlicle syou found answered some questions and added a bit of color to the lives of our ancestors.  Greatly appreciated!

The package arrived with nat. papers, pictures, etc. ! Thank you Mary Ellen. I'm sending a mailing to you today. Your package took about 7 working days to get here. This one may be the same. Let me know when you get it, ok?

The obit for Charles was a treasure! I was particularly pleased to have the name of his second daughter and her maiden name - RIDEOUT. Also where she was living. Back to the census I go! 

And the naturalization papers! What a thrill to see their signatures written in their own hand.

And the burial info. So many little things on that paper that gives me more of a picture of their lives. Maybe one day I will track down their living descendants and maybe - just maybe - they'll have a picture of them for me to see. What a wonderful day that will be!    Beryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2009, 10:15:21 AM »
I hope I'm also speaking for Helen...it's our pleasure to help and this knowledge helps all of us understand the history of the irish in Worcester and it's cool that the family was not catholic...it just adds another dimension.

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2009, 06:45:40 AM »
Hi,
Breakthrough! Actually 2 of them, thanks to this forum and the helpful people, Mary Ellen and Helen,  who helped me get through the first roadblock in researching this family.

1. I just located birth information for Charles COSTELLO's wife, Addie L.  She was registered as Lydia Adeline GRIGGS b. 18 Mar 1854 in Brimfield, MA. daughter of Lyman (Layman) F. and Maria GRIGGS.  It's interesting how I found her. In the 1920 Census the enumerator had written for her birthplace 'Blumfield' then crossed it out and wrote MA.  I found no Blumfield but Brimfield which was close and found her in the IGI. (I did a happy dance.)

2. I found Charles and Addie's daughter, Luis M. (also known as Lou or Louie, which is the french pronunciation of Luis).  She was married to Olen Bradford RIDEOUT. His family came from Canada as well. They lived with Rose and Addie according to the 1910 Census then moved to Houlton ME to live with his parents. I located a RIDEOUT family researcher and was able to share some of what I'd found about Olen which they didn't have.  The Rideout family history goes way back to the 1700s. Sadly, Olen and Luis had 3 children but none survived.

If anyone wants to know specific dates, etc, plese contact me. I'll gladly share.  I do hope there are some COSTELLO descendants out there...  Beryl