Author Topic: Marion COSTELLO and James ELLIS  (Read 53154 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Marion COSTELLO and James ELLIS
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 02:14:11 AM »
I saw Charle's son in the 1880 census he was 11 months old.  Going to the library for you, Beryl,,,,wish me the luck O'  the irish

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 06:24:47 AM »
I think I found naturalization dates for James Ellis and Charles Costello and a few births of children who died young.  Can't post now because I have to head into work.

Sending for the naturalizations may be good to do, Beryl, as it may give emmigration date and place of birth.  I'll email you separately but will post info as received later tonight.

What is Charles' approximate birth year?

You may also be misled about the accuracy of Ireland/Irish free states.  I'm not sure a massachusetts Clerk would know the difference, so don't put too much on it...

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 01:09:38 PM »
History question:
 In the 1930 census, James and Mary A ELLIS's son, Frank, said his parent's birthplaces were the "Irish Free States".
Can someone tell me what counties would be included in the Irish Free States in 1930?

Thanks, Beryl

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 01:14:01 PM »
RE: Charles D COSTELLO's (or Charles DeCOSTELLO) approximate date of birth

In the 1900 census, Charles birth date is Aug 1846 and born in Ireland.

Beryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 01:48:56 PM »
Success!

Naturalizations   James Ellis born 30 May 1835 in Ireland  Nat. 16 Sept. 1867  vol.5 p25 Worcester Superior Court
                       Charles Costello born Aug 1846 in Ireland Nat. 21 Aug, 1881 vol. 16 p49 Worcester superior Court

Worcester vital records Parents: James & Marion Ellis  births:  Charles Samuel 1 Nov. 1863, Edith M. 18 Sept 1868, Franklin 18 Oct. 1868,George Herbert 20 July 1860, Maud 4 July 1872 (called "Fannie"), Madeline C. 20 Jan. 1882
deaths: Fannie died 7 July 1876 of a stoppage, George died 5 Apr. 1863 of lung fever

For Charles & Alice (Adeline) Costello:  births: Gertrude Swain 6 July 1990, Rose Isadore 11 Apr. 1886
deaths: Gertrude died 27 Nov. 1891

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »
RE: James ELLIS and Charles COSTELLO and families

WONDERFUL!  I am so pleased, Mary Ellen! I can't wait to see what the naturalization records have about their parents, etc.

You and Helen have been so helpful.

I had given up the search for these 2 families a few years ago but decided to give it one more try when I ran across the Worcestertalk list. I'm so glad I did because with your help the lost are found.  It also reminded me of a long forgotten Ellis/Costello file that had a few at-the-time-considered-unimportant-facts that have since  been verified and added pertinent leads to some other related family lines.   Thank you.   Beryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »
So I gather you want me to send off for those records for you?  They tend to give arrival day and port.  County and place of birth, no parents listed though, though not always and the sponsors may be friends, relatives or bosses.  Ellis's is a  relatively early naturaliztion and Costello's a later one.

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 04:23:15 PM »
RE:Charles and Addie L COSTELLO and family 

From Previous post "For Charles & Alice (Adeline) Costello:
 births: Gertrude Swain 6 July 1990, Rose Isadore 11 Apr. 1886
deaths: Gertrude died 27 Nov. 1891"

A couple questions about the above entries from vital records:
-  I can see that Addie could be a shortened form of Adeline but where does Alice fit in? Is that her given and Adeline her middle name? I'm confused.

-  Gertrude Swain's birth is obviously 1890.  And she's the third daughter and first deceased child we've found of Charles and Addie.
Addies entry in the 1900 census records that she gave birth 5 times but had at the time of this census only 2 living children. The two are:
       -  Rose Isadore (see above entry in Births) and
       - a daughter entered as "Sonie M" (or from a reply by Helen from a different source "Lou--" ) who was born Oct 1881 in Mass and was 18 at the time of the census.

Is it possible to locate this daughter's real name as well as the names of the 2 remaining unknown and deceased Costello children?

Beryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 03:15:03 AM »
Edith was born in 1866 not 1868...I made an error in my posting.  Willtry to find more kids for Charles and wife when I have some time.  I used the Worcester index for those birth and death records.  I like using them as they list the parents right in the index so you don't have to look up each record.

We were wondering about how you're related to them and how the branch went out to Saskatewan pardon the mispelling.

I'm going to email the Archives this morning and charge the fee on my credit card.  They will mail me the results, so please email me your mailing address.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 05:02:58 AM »
Please forget the Adeline/alice stuff, I made a mistake as I was typing in the dark...there is no alice!  I am kinda surprised that there seems to be no naming traditions in either family.  One would expect that a boy would be named Thomas after James'  father though Maud I believe is a name variant of Margaret.  Their kids don't seem to have overtly "irish" christian names and with a last name of Ellis could be mistaken for English at a time when "irish need not apply" prejudices, but Cosetto is such an Irish name and DeCostello changes it to more french-like.  They may have gotten grief from the worcester irish catholics and if they had money and didn't help the poor, they were in BIG TROUBLE! 

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 06:50:17 AM »

Worcester vital records Parents: James & Marion Ellis  births:  Charles Samuel 1 Nov. 1863, Edith M. 18 Sept 1868, Franklin 18 Oct. 1868,George Herbert 20 July 1860, Maud 4 July 1872 (called "Fannie"), Madeline C. 20 Jan. 1882

Just to make sure I understand the above record:
-  For all of her children's entries, was "Marion" her given name or did she ever use "Mary Ann" or "Mary"?
-  The last daughter's entry in the record was definitely "Madeline C. " and not "Marion C."? In any reference (census, family letters, etc ) I have of this daughter she is always Marion.
I just want to make sure I have it correctly. Thanks.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 07:44:40 AM »
As I recall it was both ways Marion & Mary.  It was definitely Madeline for the daughter.  Sometimes I think people went by the name they were called rather than their legal name.  My MIL was shocked to find out that she was named Hendrika but was called Harriet all her life!

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 08:12:47 AM »
RE: Saskatchewan connection to Worcester Ellis & Costello families

James and  Marion/Mary A.  ELLIS (maiden name is COSTELLO)

She had (at least) 2 sisters in Worcester that we know of:
1. Margaret (nee COSTELLO) McTAGGART, Mrs. David McTaggart (Worcester Warp Compressing Co)

2. Rose /Roseanna  (nee COSTELLO) HENRY, my husband's  great-grandmother.
Rose was the 2nd wife to John HENRY and had 5 children (1 son & 3 daughters surviving). Their son, Costello John HENRY, is my husband's grandfather who came to Canada and homesteaded in Sask.

According to family letters the Costello sisters had a brother, Charles, in Worcester. I think this is Charles D COSTELLO.

A further connection to ELLIS family is through James and Marion's son, Charles S ELLIS.  He married Martha HENRY, a daughter from Rose's husband's first marriage. (Martha would have been 6 or 7 when Rose became their mother and they were very close.)  So Charles married the step-daughter of his aunt Rose.  (NOTE: I've found at least a second Charles S. ELLIS in Worcester which is making my search for OUR Charles very frustrating.)  Charles and Martha lived in New York for a time but the family story is that one or both of them returned to Worcester later.

Rose eventually came to US from Belfast Ireland where her children were born and lived in New York before moving to Worcester between 1910 and 1920 to live with her nieces, the McTaggarts. Rose died in 1932.

So I'm trying to find our great-grandmother's Rose's parents, the Costellos.  Since Plan A didn't give me any help, I'm going to Plan B (Rose's siblings) and this brings me to Worcester.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 12:16:41 PM »
Beryl, have been to cemetery and have more info re your family.  Still haven't from the National Archives.  Will post info tonight after I get home from work after 8 pm.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 03:36:20 PM »
Hope cemetery
plot owned by James Ellis  (note that # after name is age at death) and date is burial date
3/28/20 Mary A. Ellis
3/15/12 Edith McLellan
6/28/23 Martha Ellis
4/16/26  Charles S. Ellis 61
1888  James Ellis 54
no year  George & Maud Ellis
no year  Mother Ellis
10/18/52 Marion C. Ellis 79