Author Topic: The Carrolls of Worcester  (Read 42434 times)

cheryl

• Townie
Re: The Carrolls of Worcester
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2008, 06:11:41 AM »
This morning I believe I found Thomas Francis Carroll which can be checked by ordering a marriage certificate from Providence RI or death certificate.  He had a son who died in Warwick RI Feb 2, 2002 if you want more living relatives.
November 23, 1916 marriage, Thomas F. Carroll & Katerhine A Dyer
WWI draft Thomas F Carroll, b. Boston, Ireland; April 28, 1888, married living at 112 John St.
RI births:  Thomas F Carroll, 6 May 1918; Jeaneete Carroll 5 Sept 1919
1930 census Providence 55 Arnold St, Thomas, Katherine, Thomas F Jr 11, Jeannette 10
WWII draft Thomas Francis Carroll Sr 55 Arnold St, b. April 28, 1888, County Clare wife Katherine Carroll
He is listed in the Providence Street Directory starting in 1923 at 55 Arnold St.  He and Katherine live there in 1959; the next entry for 1960 states Thomas F died July 15, 1959. 

Rob

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 12:10:43 PM »
trying to find out where in Ireland our father's family emigrated from.
Lynn and Christine, would Ellis Island database hold any clues? My grandfather emigrated to Worcester from Ireland in the 1920s, and I found his ship info in Ellis Island database.

Rob

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 12:15:19 PM »
would Ellis Island database hold any clues?
Never mind -- I just read deeper into thread and see you're getting lots of help.

carroll girls

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 12:08:06 PM »
Carroll Girls checking in from Los Angeles.

Hi Everyone.

Sorry to not have responded lately but things have been a bit hectic for me.  I have read all the recent posts.

Gosh, thanks again to merski, cheryl, capecolleen and rob for your responses and all the work you have done for us.  What a saga this has been.

My sister (Christine)  in Boston is interested in attending your February meeting.  What is the exact date as she will be out of town for part of February.

There is so much work for us to do to round up all the records you have unearthed, but is is so exciting.  We are thrilled to know where our family comes from and are getting excited and beginning to really plan the details of our trip.

Thanks again to all of you.

Lynn

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 03:09:50 AM »
Sunday Feb. 10   2:30 p.m. at the Worcester Public Library 3rd floor genealogy area.  We'd LOVE to meet one of the Carroll girls as well as all of the other wonderful people who are so generous with their help and queries on this board!

Carroll-Boston

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2008, 02:10:06 PM »
Thank you everyone who has been so supportive with our family research-this is the Carroll girl from Boston, actually Winchester- I hope to be at the neeting this Sunday afternoon if there is no snow-see you then Christine

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2008, 04:04:50 PM »
I'd love to meet you.  It was really great to work as a group to get you two the info you needed.  It just goes to show everyone that there's info out there...you just need to know where to look for it.  If I can, I'll try to get some digital images of your grandfather James' stone and his brother Patrick's stone at St. John's cemetery if I can borrow a camera and get a lesson....see everybody soon!

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 07:36:45 AM »
This is going to take me some time to sort out but after finding all the Quirk sisters:
Annie A Quirk married Dimitrois George Coutoukis aka James George Coutoukis aka James G. Rock between 1921 & 1923
1930 census James & John are living with Annie and James Coutoukis; and the boys seem to continue to live with Annie.  James is still living with her in the early 1950 in Worcester and I suspect she dies c. 1951.
Her parents were Mary (Fitzgerald) Quirk d. March 1921 and John Quirk died September 1923 both buried in St. John's Worcester with daughter Bertha Knight. 
Irish birth records from familysearch.org
Mary 27 Mar 1867; Norry 9 Sep 1869; Ellen 20 Jun 1872; Alice 22 Apr 1877
On Alice's record states born Carack Cardians which is a misspelling and although there are Carrig townlands around Stradbally I haven't come up with a good but sending for a birth record for one the girls should clear that up.
I'll type up the information for you and send it along, there are many first cousins of James & John with at least one still living.
Cheryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 07:31:08 AM »
Carroll girls...try to bring a good photograph of your father and uncle and grandparents if you have one.  It's a nice way of connecting and as Cheryl can tell you there still may be strong family resemblances in Clare and Waterford.  By the way, have you sent off for anything?  I've been busy with my mom's estate (which is nil in size but sill a pain!) so I haven't been helping at all.  Just thinking of you two.

carroll girls

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 01:56:44 PM »
Hello to all of you fabulous researchers at Worcester Talk.

The Carroll Girls are going to Ireland on May 25th and coming back on June 6th.

Following all the information we received from you folks,  we are staying a few days in Dublin,  then on to Galway and hopefully to Kilkorcan where our paternal grandfather is from.  Then to Waterford and Stradbally where our paternal grandmother is from.  Then back to Dublin and the US.

We will give you a full report when we get home.

And we will be thinking of all of you while we are there as you have made our ancestral search a reality.

Lynn and Christine

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2008, 03:32:07 AM »
Safe journeys.  And would you be kind enough to "light a penny candle" in one of the catholic churches and say a brief prayer that all of us on this board will be able to find our irish ancestors?

carroll girls

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »
Worcester Talk folks:

We'll light candles in each city we go to for all of you dear folks on the Worcester Talk board.

Lynn and Christine

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2008, 01:48:23 AM »
We;re all dying for a report....did you meet any kin?  Did you learn anthing new????

carroll girls

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2008, 02:57:32 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Yes, we are back from Ireland and had a wonderful adventure.   A trip of a lifetime.

Great sights, good food and of course the people were so very very nice to us.

We were on our own and took trains, buses and the Luas in Dublin (and we are so glad we did not do the driving thing.).  We did historical walking tours, took a ferry to the Aran Islands, toured the castle in Kyelmore and generally had a great time.  And learned a lot of Irish history.  (We used Rick Steves' guidebook and he was terrific.  Would highly recommend it.)

It was very exciting and we both felt "more Irish" than when we went.

We lit candles in churches in Dublin, Galway and Waterford for all of you who are still looking for your Irish roots.

We did some further research in Galway and Ennis and traced our paternal grandfather back to 1824. In Waterford, we traced our paternal grandmother back to 1842.  We also found out that she actually owned a piggery with one pig.  (We were very excited about that.)

All the genealogy folks we met with were very helpful and accommodating.  In Waterford, the man in charge drove me around for almost 3 hours in the area near where my grandmother was from (Stradbally.) The genealogy man from Galway drove us back to our B&B, waited while we changed clothes and got our raingear, and then drove us into town.  As I said, people were very very nice to us.

In Galway we did not get to Kilkorcan but to nearby Gort where we took some pictures.

We did not meet any kin and will save that for a future trip. We definitely plan to go back.

I am truly sorry that this response has been so late in coming.  I have no excuse really, but have had all of you on my mind and you were all in our hearts as we traveled through Ireland.

Thanks you all so much for your help.

Lynn and Chrissie

brauem

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 07:25:10 AM »
i can add that i have a Carroll quart milk bottle in my collection.   i didnt read all the posts, but im sure someone had a dairy that used these bottles... mike