Author Topic: The Carrolls of Worcester  (Read 42431 times)

carroll girls

• Just Moved Here
Re: The Carrolls of Worcester
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 12:29:21 PM »
Dear Worcester Talk Genealogy folks,

This is so hard to believe.  Less than a week ago we knew nothing about our relatives. Now we know the actual place they lived.  What a week this has been.

You folks are the best.  You're all hired!!!

We both send our  thanks.   

We will send you pictures from our trip so that you can enjoy it with us.

Now I really need to get out that map and find Kilcorcan. 

And what does : DED and UNION mean?

I am going to lay all of this information out on a spreadsheet and digest it all.

Thanks again,

Talk to you soon,

Lynn

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 01:42:21 PM »
You are most welcome!  You can go online and type Kilkeedy Clare and see the Parish.  As I said Kilcorcan is a townland within it.  There is a bed & breakfast in Kilcorcan called the Mountain Avens House.  It's named after a unique plant found in the burren.  I have reigistered on the Clare County discussion board to ask for any living Carrolls from Kilkeedy.  Keep your fingers crossed! 

My friend  at the cemetery found your great uncle Patrick Carrolls burial  3 feb. 1941 age 69
Anastatia his wife (2nd one?) buried 27 Feb. 1946 age 70     baby girl Carroll also buried 2 Feb. 1960

Your grandfather James was alone in a lot purchased by Annie Carroll.  Section Sion, Range B lot 19.

When I can make it to Worcester, I'll check for a stone in the cemetery and look up those obituaries, unless someone else is going to worcester sooner.

Have you found any Carrolls in worcester that you might be related to?

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 09:55:18 AM »
I think I found Bridget Carroll's immigration and marriage record.  Can someone check a marriage in Worcester 1902 vol 526:434 Bridget Carroll and should be Vincent Daly.  Vincent Daly was boarding with Patrick Carroll in 1900.  I found the family living in Indiana but one child was born in Illinois, maybe the family didn't know they moved on. 

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 10:01:49 AM »
oops:  I mean Margaret Carroll

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 12:53:20 PM »
31 March 1902  Marriage of Vincent Daly & Bridget Carroll  he's 25, she 23 both residents of worcester.  He's a teamster, she a cook both born ireland  her parents Martin & Brighet (Dowd) his Andrew & Mary (Farry)

couldn't find a state record for Bridget O'keefe

Could you put passenger listings up so we can see them?  I like looking at the original recorc when I can.

It's very thrilling that we've found so much corroborating info.  The Clare discussion board has given me an address for them to write for vital records, which I would very much encourage them to do in order to verify all this info.

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 07:51:30 AM »
31 March 1902  Marriage of Vincent Daly & Bridget Carroll  he's 25, she 23 both residents of worcester.  He's a teamster, she a cook both born ireland  her parents Martin & Brighet (Dowd) his Andrew & Mary (Farry)

couldn't find a state record for Bridget O'keefe

Could you put passenger listings up so we can see them?  I like looking at the original recorc when I can.

It's very thrilling that we've found so much corroborating info.  The Clare discussion board has given me an address for them to write for vital records, which I would very much encourage them to do in order to verify all this info.

Sorry about the quote, but I could get it to load the regular way.  I found Bridget and William O'Keefe with their children in Revere & Everett.  I will write everything out later today or tomorrow sent it to the Carroll Girls and Merski.

Chelsea    1894
Vol: 444 ; Page: 309;  No. 81  April 19 recorded May 28
O'Keefe William  res. Crescent Beach Revere  age 24  Groom  b. Ireland
Richard & Mary Fing  First marriage
Carroll Bridget  res. Chelsea  age 22 Domestic  b. Ireland  Martin &
Bridget Dowd  First
Rev. H. J. Mulligan, Priest at Chelsea

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 08:35:07 AM »
Lynn & Christine,
I would encourage you to send for the following certificates before you leave for ireland.

Birth of James Carroll c.1881 son of Martin and Bridget (Dowd)  Kilkeedy parish
marriage  of Martin Carroll and Bridget Dowd pre 1866  (hopefully that will get you back another generation)
death certs. for Martin Carroll & Bridget(Dowd) Carroll each after 1901

send a s.a.s.e. to Registrar   Sandfield Centre  Ennis county Clare Ireland along with a letter asking for the records and ask what the fees are.  You may need to afterward send an international money order in euros to pay for the work

You can also go online to www.groireland.ie to request the same information fee for each cert (which includes research) is 10 euro

When you go to ireland you can always stop in at Ennis as it is on the road to everywhere in Clare and get the other certs. you need.  I would just be more comfortable with all this stuff that Cheryl & I have given you (I'm 90% sure we pegged this one)is the right family.

I can't wait to hear who martins and bridgets parents were and if they were both from very close townlands.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 03:53:54 AM »
Patrick Carroll of 188 Southbridge St. purchased lot Jubilee  R7 lot251

Catherine (a daughter/) interred 9Jun 1899
Baby O'Neil                     "       17 May 1903
   "      "                         "       31 Oct. 1904
Catherine Carroll (must be the mother)   interred 6 Aug 1912

Lynn & Christine   I will look up obits on Friday morning.   How are you dealing with all of this info??

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 05:56:29 AM »
Merski,
Did you look up the O'neil babies to see who their parents were?
Cheryl

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 07:11:57 AM »
Couldn't find them.  Hopefully the obit of Catherine or patrick will illuminate us.  So, Patrick got married again maybe it was the second wife who couldn't or wouldn't take on the two boys. 

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 09:00:42 AM »
My guess on the O'Neil babies
Births vol 534:435 and 544:509 Deaths V 103:14 and 58:108

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 03:06:47 AM »
I think I have found Anna Quirk.  In the 1910 census there is an Anna Quirk, domestic living at 34 Elm St, b. 1888, arrived 1906.  She is again listed in 1912, domestic, 5 Harrington Ave.  In the meantime, I have followed Bridget Quirk immigrating from Stradbally, County Waterford, father John, to Worcester.  1903, she is 19 and lists her sister Alice Quirk, 50 Pearl St, 1911 she lists she lived in Worcester 1905-1911 and is meeting her sister Mrs. M Glannigan, 76 Eastern Ave Worcester.  Alice M Quirk marries Michael J Flanagan in Worcester Vol. 556:462.  Searching for Alice, I find her children with their Flanagan grandparents in 1920 & 1930.  Looking through the street directories, 1918 Alice M Flannagan 378 Grafton Street; Anna A Carroll widow of James A 378 Grafton Street.  1920 street directory, Alice M Flannagan widow of Michael J died February 24, 1919.  So the obituary of Alice might lead to Anna Quirk Carroll from Stradbally County Waterford, father's name John. 

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2008, 02:55:31 AM »
Obituary of Catherine (Barry) Carroll  Evening Post 5 Aug 1912

first wife of Patrick Carroll  188 Southbridge St.
leaves husband, sons Charles J. & Timothy, daughter Mary C.
and a brother John Barry of Worcester
one of the floral tributes was from Mrs. Margaret O'Neill  (cheryl!!)

Patrick Carroll's obit   Telegram 1 Feb. 1941
228 Chandler St.
2nd wife  Anastatia (Hunt) Carroll
daughter Mrs. Adler Wellett of Woonsocket RI
sons Charles J. & Timothy P. Carroll of worcester
sisters Bridget O'Keefe of Everett Mass. & mrs. Margaret Hehir of ireland (means the rest of his siblings must be dead)

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 05:11:46 AM »
I think I have found Anna Quirk.  In the 1910 census there is an Anna Quirk, domestic living at 34 Elm St, b. 1888, arrived 1906.  She is again listed in 1912, domestic, 5 Harrington Ave.  In the meantime, I have followed Bridget Quirk immigrating from Stradbally, County Waterford, father John, to Worcester.  1903, she is 19 and lists her sister Alice Quirk, 50 Pearl St, 1911 she lists she lived in Worcester 1905-1911 and is meeting her sister Mrs. M Glannigan, 76 Eastern Ave Worcester.  Alice M Quirk marries Michael J Flanagan in Worcester Vol. 556:462.  Searching for Alice, I find her children with their Flanagan grandparents in 1920 & 1930.  Looking through the street directories, 1918 Alice M Flannagan 378 Grafton Street; Anna A Carroll widow of James A 378 Grafton Street.  1920 street directory, Alice M Flannagan widow of Michael J died February 24, 1919.  So the obituary of Alice might lead to Anna Quirk Carroll from Stradbally County Waterford, father's name John. 
Now just how lucky can you get!!On the EllisIsland.org website and again on ancestry.com, for the same immigration, Oct 14, 1915, The St. Louis, I found, John Quirk 65, Mary Quirk 62, and granddaughter Mary Quirwin age l yr 6 mo coming from friend Mrs. Quinley County Waterford to daughter Mrs. J. J. Carroll, 30 Orchard St, Worcester, MA.  John states he was in Worcester 1900.  They were detained for doctor certificates, page 0244, Ellis Island Site.

Carrol girls, have you checked for a marriage certificate at Worcester City Hall?

Cheryl
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:16:11 AM by cheryl »

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 05:54:01 AM »
1920 census, Worcester 2A Plantation St, John Quirk 76, Mary 72, daughter look like Anastasia age 30, granddaughter Mary 5
1920 census, Worcester, 48 Coral St, Bertha Knight with son Ralph age 2
1920 census, Charlton, Lucien Knight married living with mother
1930 census, Charlton, Lucien & Bertha Knight, with children and niece May R. Quirk