Author Topic: Mooney Family  (Read 8950 times)

LindaR

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Mooney Family
« on: June 29, 2006, 05:13:44 PM »
Hi -  I am looking for information on the Mooney family.  Patrick Mooney came to Worcester from Carrick-Berg, county of Wateford, Ireland in 1842.  He was accompanied by his daughter and son-in-law Bridget and John Blade and two sons--Richard and Nicholas.  John and Bridget are my great-great grandparents.  If anyone has any information on this family, please contact me.

Thank you,
Linda

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Mooney Family
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 03:32:08 AM »
I have from O'Fynn's transcription and our newer transcription of St. John's cemetery

Richard Mooney and Margaret R. Mooney (also Nicholas) Currick Beg co. Waterford  He was a carpenter deaths took place in 1860 and 1905....might be a connection   there is a connection to the doyles.  This stone has a lot of info on it.  It's in section B
can give more info later

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 08:16:56 PM »
St. John's Cemetery will tell ya  that  Nicholas  Mooney, the 16  year-old buried in Richard  Mooney's  plot, was the first  burial in the cemetery. I am not so sure. There were a good number of people at the "plottery" that was held on Sept. 19th 1847. It seems one of those people needed to use their plot before Nick Mooney died;  June 12 1848.
Anyway... Margret Doyle married Richard Mooney on Oct. 25, 1845. A  Mr. Patrick Doyle (careful there two of them)  bought his ajoininng lot that day, and I think there is a "Mooney-Doyle" marker. To look at the reeport,,  it looks like two large plots were split 75/25,  Mooney Doyle respectivly.
There were other Mooney's around at that time,  are you missinng any other  Mooneys. Will and Kate,  Jim and Mary. They would all  have been born in the first few years of  the 1800's (Patrick's generation).
 I have a feeling Merski will have Doyle info, so enough for now. Sorry about Nicholas, John

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 04:12:40 AM »
I have a friend in County Waterford who has kin connections in worcester Mass. to the Mooneys.  She will try to look them up.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 02:41:40 AM »
O'Flynn's notes  Please forgive misspellings   

Patrick Doyle was a farmer near Holden line.  born Stradbally Co. Waterford 17 March 1818 came to NY 30 June 1840 
(this may suggest that he was naturalized)
His son (John) graduated from High school and then Holy cross college and Married Catherine McLoughlin of Holden in 1877.
  Patrick's sister married Richard Mooney and was mother in law to James Mellen.  Brother James lived on Winter St. (rather cryptic...don't know what this means)

Old St. John's cemetery inscr. by O'Flynn
Nicholas Mooney died 12 June 1848 19 yrs old
Richard Mooney died 16 Feb. 1860 40 yrs old both from Carrickbeg co. Waterford.  As worcmik says, this is on the same stone as Doyle info.

Stone erected by Margaret Mooney for her husband John from "Rathactruch" parish of Fries co. Waterford died 18 Aug. 1863   Also children Margaret and patrick   Wife Margaret died 22 June 1870 age 50 yrs  Mothill Co. Waterford

I was surprised to see a John Mooney in the 1850 census with children who also have the names Richard and Nicholas...Couls this be another son or brother?  I don't think Nicholas or Richard are that common at this time....

LindaR

• Just Moved Here
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 03:15:11 AM »
John -

Thank you very much for the information.   Richard and Margaret's daughter, Julia, married James Mellen and had seven children.  They were William R, John, Annie T., Catharine, James, Francis and Richard F.  I didn't find any Mary in my records.  I am fairly new to genealogy, a relative gave me some information on our family and that started my interest.  Sometimes it is extremely frustrating when you keep on reaching dead ends.  I have been working on trying to find out what ship my other great grandfather, Sebastian Hoppens, came over from Holland to the US on.  I'm also trying to find more about Patrick Mooney and John Blade.  I haven't been having a lot of luck so I really appreciate it when someone gives me some help.

Thanks again,
Linda

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 07:03:09 AM »
Linda,
      I have a feeling that this space will be a  source of more info. Merski and I are olny two of the group here that like to help. Many of us are local, and we all know that when we learn  the details of a family, we  gain insight to the larger picture of 19th century Worcester's Irish.
     Merski, you are right, Richard and Nicholas are not common names at that time. This based on marriages and deaths of Catholics in the 19th century, Worcester area.
      James Mellon was notable enough at the end of the century that O'Flynn mentions him without elaborating.
     Visit this space ofter and read all of the other posts. There should be info that will help you, such as info about what I mean by "plottery."
John

bvirish

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 04:23:59 PM »
LindaR,

Are you aware that your ancestor Richard Henry Mooney is listed in Charles Nutt's, History of Worcester and its People,Volume IV, Page 514 - 517?

The first paragraph reads as follows:

"The Mooney family represents in the present generation in Worcester by Richard Henry Mooney, A.M., and John Francis Henry Mooney was founded in this country by Richard Mooney, farmer , who come from Carrick-Beg, County of Waterford, Ireland in 1840, and settled in Worcester, Massachusetts. He was accompanied by his daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. John Blade, and his two sons, Richard and Nicholas, his wife, Nancy (Hagerty) Mooney, having died in Ireland. Richard Mooney, accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. John Blade, went to Wisconsin, where he engaged in farming, and subsequently became the owner of the largest and most productive farms in the region, which he cultivated and improved, and upon which he resided to the time of his death at the age of eighty-eight years. Nicholas Mooney, mentioned above died in Worcester, June 12 1848, being the first person buried in St. John's Cemetery."

It appears that your ancestors were quite distinguished. Mr. Nutt gave them 3-1/2 pages.

It looks like Worcmik's notes might be right about the first burial at St. John's.

Do you have access to the Worcester Public Library (WPL)? If not, maybe I can make arrangements to get you a copy of the above mentioned pages.

BVIrish

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 05:30:37 PM »
     I am sure that the Mooneys were notable (Mellon even more so), but  here I would like to mention that Nutt wrote what would be called a flattery book, probably sold by subscription before it was written. He likely wrote to people and said "Will you write a biography of your ancestor for my upcomming book? Oh, and how many copies do you want?" This does not make it useless; it just means you should have your salt shaker handy. Sort of like Obits to us, some great info to follow up on.

kathy

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »
John -

Thank you very much for the information.   Richard and Margaret's daughter, Julia, married James Mellen and had seven children.  They were William R, John, Annie T., Catharine, James, Francis and Richard F.  I didn't find any Mary in my records.  I am fairly new to genealogy, a relative gave me some information on our family and that started my interest.  Sometimes it is extremely frustrating when you keep on reaching dead ends.  I have been working on trying to find out what ship my other great grandfather, Sebastian Hoppens, came over from Holland to the US on.  I'm also trying to find more about Patrick Mooney and John Blade.  I haven't been having a lot of luck so I really appreciate it when someone gives me some help.

Thanks again,

Linda

Linda,

My grandfather was John F.H.Mellen.  It's possible that we are related.  Please reply!  Thanks.
Kathy