Genealogy > Worcester Irish Genealogy/History

Keep sept. 17th open!

(1/3) > >>

merski:
The worcester public library will be having a program from 1-4 on genealogy and a part of it will be on irish genealogy.  Worcmik and I both think this would be in lieu of the one we were trying to set up.  I will give details when they are available I'm planning on attending and will bring my master database for anyone who hasn't seen it .  They will also have another Genealogy for night owls, which I have attended and was great.  You register and pay a certain fee and when the library is closed all of the resources are available to you and even some special stuff AND you get to meet other worcester researchers...it's for all ethnicities...

cheryl:
 :(  Boo-hoo, I have a prior engagement.   I wanted to support your efforts of keeping this group active; I hope everyone else does!   Cheryl

worcmik:
I look forward to the Sept. 17th program. I am sure many of "us" will make it. John

worcmik:
I was at the Worcester Public Library today,and I asked about the up-comming program. The details are being worked-out for that, and for another "night owl" in late Oct. More as details emerge.
I still have some typing to do, but the search for the Tatnuck dead in the Worc. death records is complete. With the help of my son, I looked at the all the entries made from 1836 to 1900; hand-wrote the ones that fit the criteria; and typed them into a spreadsheet. I will type in the last entries and print a chronological list as well as an alphabetical one. I will also create a couple of charts to see if there is something to be learned from the effort.  I will bring these with me to the WPL on the 17th of Sept. (if I can get out of working that day).
I have played-around with a map and some records (marriage and 1855 Irish-only census), and have created a rough draft of: A look at the location of pre-famine Irish in Worcester County. The map of the county has the last names of Irish-born persons (in the US by 1845) printed within the boarder of the town they resided in (usually in 1855). Were they in those towns prior to 1845? ...Well, they were in the US. Did I get them all?... No, I used the age of American-born children to determine arrival dates, so I am sure to have missed many that were here, but childless, prior to 1845. I am sure there is a few Protestant-Irish in there as well, but I doubt that they make up the majority. What was the point?... If you don't take it too seriously, it is kinda neat. I will make copies and bring them to the WPL on Sept 17th 2005. See you there   John

merski:
Wow!  Can't wait to see your work.  Did you actually take death dates from tatnuck and look up the vital records to get any more details, if available?  This was something I was interested in doing, but haven't found the time.  I'm thinking of signing up for ancestry.com, any feedback as to whether this is a good/worthwhile website for me or other researchers?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version