Genealogy > Worcester Italian Genealogy/History

your personal stories about your Italian heritage or family

<< < (3/13) > >>

MaryLand:
Hi Diane,
I'm older than you are. I went to Eliz. St School in 1958 - 1959.  Yes, I remember Miss Gatti.  Those schools were ancient!  That was where we first started PHY ED, or so to speak.  We'd play bean bag toss in the basement, and I'm wondering if it was one of the very first type of presidential physical fitness programs.  Otherwise we played kickball on the upper level of the shool yard.
I lived on Farwell St. on the 3rd floor of a triple decker owned by an Italian family and on Sunday mornings after church they'd play Italian music, and of course with only screens on our hot 3rd floor window I heard it and became very familiar with those songs.   During lent my sister and I would walk towards the Bell Hill area over Shrewsbury St and we'd get Fish & Chips for supper on Friday nights. 
I remember Gypsies too during those times in a store front not far from the auditorium.  They advertised palm reading.  Lots of good memories and it is so much fun to see all of the photos posted on this great website. It takes time to search but there is lots of info on here.
Thanks for the chat!

Diane:
I can't believe this, I lived at the corner of Farwell and Eastern Ave.......I am 53 years old.........I wonder if we know each other.......Do you want to tell me your name (maiden name)?? I remember Elizabeth St School so well. Remember how safe and wonderful life was then?? Do you still live in Worcester? Do you remember me at all?? My name is Diane Bellione, and I have 3 sisters, Mary, Joan and Debi. Do you recall any of us? Do you know Pete Zompetti?? Laura Troio? Glenn Smith? So good talking to you....... ;)

MaryLand:
How about that?  WOW....No, I don't live there anymore.  My family moved to the Midwest in the mid60's.  As a family we visited back to Worc. up until the 70's and I've lived elsewhere in MA over the years, and vacation on the shore, but never went to Worcester as no family was there after that. 

Oh, we probably were IN school at the same time, even though we had to line up in our own room/grade lines in the schoolyard. 

I don't recall many names at all, other than the Cournoyers on Farwell St.  I used to play with her. They had an old barn in the back of their yard, connected to the house and used as a shed for storage.  Upstairs in the barn must have been a living area way back when, as there were the studs and rafters of rooms, sink area, openings for windows etc.   They had twin babies in 1958.  I am not sure where Eastern Ave is, and I'll have to check on some Worc. maps to see the city better.   
Across the street from where I lived was a large white 2 story house with dark green trim and the yard was big, and entirely fenced in yard.  I played with the girl upstairs sometimes.
No I don't recall any of those classmates you mentioned.    
I also lived on Caprera Rd when I went to Adams Street School and that was in 7th grade.  TTYL ~M

Diane:
I knew the Courneyors well, my sister Mary was good friends with Joyce. And my sister Debi was good friends with the twins, Norma and Donna. Norma passed away a few years ago from uterine cancer. As I recall there were 2 other sisters, Barbara and Beverly?? We lived directly behind their house, our back yard was right behind their house. Which of the girls were you friends with? Do you remember the Fergersons? There was JoAnne, and she had a few brothers, Gerald and a few others who I can't recall now. I live in the mid west now, I live in Missouri. That area of Worcester is pretty bad now. How sad it was to go down there and see what it has become. I drove by there a few years ago when I went to see my parents. Do you remember  Vessio's market at the corner of Belmont and Eastern Ave?? Do you remember Bell Pond??

MaryLand:
I think I was friends to Joyce.  We buried an instant coffee jar in her backyard near the swing set with our names on paper supposedly as a time capsule for the future. Ha, this is better than that. Yes I do recall the Fergusons, JoAnne and Gerald.  I would go get them on the way to walk to school.  Yes I recall the markets.  We'd buy penny candy and cold popsicles on hot summer days.  So that tells me that Eastern Ave. was up at the top of the Farewell St.  Bell Pond was fun and the park too.  I got swimmers rash from swimming in Bell Pond though.  I would like to return and go to the cemeteries to visit graves.  Our small family always visited the graves on Memorial Day.
I also recall a boy nearer to the school who had pigeons on his back porch.
Unless Robin came up to the school yard to play in our area, I know I did not go down to the Shelby area other than the walks to get Fish 'n'Chips and to go to church.   Since I only lived there 1 year or so I probably can't recall all of the kids' names.  There were times we all played hide & seek and all slid down the sidewalks on sleds, or swam at Bell Pond.  We probably were shoulder to shoulder many times and now get to chat.   8)  We'll have to think on this, maybe more memories will come up. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version