Author Topic: Marion COSTELLO and James ELLIS  (Read 53253 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Marion COSTELLO and James ELLIS
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 03:42:13 PM »
Lot owned by James Colbath & Charles DeCostello  (use same instructions as the earlier listing)
1/17/09 Charle D. Costello 62
1/25/06 Rideout (infant)
9/3/04 Griggs infant
11/30/91 Gertrude S, Costello 1 (I think she's listed twice on the burial card)
11/27/25 Adeline L. Costello 71
1880 Charles L. Costello 1
5/28/38 Louis A. Crawford 62
9/20/50 Rose C. Crawford 64

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 03:51:29 PM »
After I found Charles D. Costello's burial date I went to the Library and tried to dind his obit. in the Worcester Telegram.  Notice gave his death as Jan. 15 1909 in Boston.  Gives his former connection to Worcester and details of his sisters there was a sister who married a Calvin Goodwin and was in worcester at his death.  He was quite the mason and was also an Odd Fellow.

Took pics of both stones.  Srprisingly there was a small stone for james Ellis.  There were other stones on the lot that I didn't look for because I didn't look carefully enough at the plot map.  Costello had a nice sized monument.  Both were on the hill in the old part of the cemetery, featring a varied landscape and mature trees planted in a park like setting.  I will mail this stuff off to you along with the naturalization papers when I finally get them, but for now you have some dates and possibly some names to do some work on.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 03:32:47 AM »
One of Charles Costello's sisters was named Elizabeth (Lizzie) who married Calvin Goodwin,  Their son Wilmot Costello Goodwin married in worcester.  Marriage record states that he was born in New Brunswick.  I wonder if Charles & sisters emigrated together and landed in New Brunswick first and then came down to the states.

I also wanted you to know that I put a smooth,round beach stone on each monument to show that someone visited those graves.

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 06:41:00 AM »
I've spent the past week looking after business and family affairs and can finally get back to the computer.

What a great surprise to see the 4 previous posts from you, Mary Ellen. (Grave info, etc). It's wonderful to find the final resting places  and, as you mentioned, some new names to pursue in locating descendants.

Your post about Charles' sister in New Brunswick raised another interesting possibility. I had wondered if some family members settled in eastern Canada because I found two old postcards from a trip there and the tone of the message sounded like a visit to family or friends instead of just a pleasure trip. As well, I believe some of the ship fares were cheaper if you were going to some Canadian ports that New York, etc. I will definitely pursue it now that I have a couple names. Thank you for this as well.

I look forward to the pictures! Thank you again.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2009, 08:09:57 AM »
We couldn't download the pics from the cemetery to email you so my husband is going to get the images onto photos at Walmart.  Say a little prayer that they contact me from the archives so we can get those naturalizations.

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 07:04:51 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the naturalization papers, etc. Thanks again for your help, Mary Ellen.

I had some interesting developments regarding the new names to search thanks to the grave entries you posted.I

RE:Elizabeth COSTELLO and Calvin GOODWIN
I've located them in the 1881 Canadian Census in Westmorland, New Brunswick.

They had 3 sons and if I can locate any descendants I hope to fill out the Costello side a bit more with info on Elizabeth's siblings, birthplace, parents, etc.
Here is the info from the 1881 Census:
GOODWIN, Calvin: age 35 b. ca 1845 Nova Scotia
     "           Elizabeth age 31 b. ca 1850 Ireland
     "           Lewis S. age 8 b. ca 1873 USA
     "           Clarmont age 4 b. ca 1877 New Brunswick
     "           Wilmot age 2 .b New Brunswick

On Google Booksearch I found this information in a GOODWIN Family reference (only a small piece of a page):
Calvin Louis GOODWIN b. 14 Dec 1845 in Nova Scotia d. 09 Feb 1912 Worcester, MA. 
He married Elizabeth COSTELLO b May 1850 Ireland d. 23 Apr 1916 Brooklyn NY.

The tidbit you gave me about their son Wilmot marrying in Worcester is the most I have so far regarding any their sons. Hopefully a bit more searching will bring something up.

I will try to trace this families movement between US and Canada as well as the ELLIS and COSTELLO families.

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2009, 07:11:11 AM »
RE: Charles COSTELLO's obit

Mary Ellen, could you post all of the obit you found of Charles, please? I'd like to type out a copy of it for Charles' section in my Costello Binder. Or will it be in with the naturaization papers?   Thanks.

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2009, 07:17:11 AM »
RE: Elizabeth COSTELLO immigration

Looking at the birth places of Elizabeth and Calvin GOODWIN's boys, the first one, Lewis, was born in the USA in 1877 so I'm thinking that Elizabeth came directly to the USA from Ireland instead of through Canada.

If I can find out where Lewis was born I may be able to locate the marriage place of Calvin and Elizabeth. The search goes on...

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 03:29:30 AM »
I have a photocopy of Charles Costello's obit and I will mail it off to you.  Please email me your mailing address at my verizon account.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
I've emailed the National Archives again in case they lost the info for the two Naturalizations.  I'm as excited about getting them soon, as much as you are Beryl!  What will they tell us?????

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2009, 12:29:02 PM »
Yes, the anticipation is excruciating! It's like waiting to give birth...

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 05:58:12 AM »
Yay! NARA has finally asked for payment so hopefully will be getting Naturalization records for James Ellis and Charles Costello!
Don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies!

barrel

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2009, 02:27:19 PM »
The mental waiting is kind of the same for both (eg waking up in the night thinking about it and in the morning thinking "Will it arrive today???" etc). But from someone who knows a bit 'bout birthin' babies I suppose the only differences are, with the naturalization papers, it doesn't hurt when they come out of the mailbox and there's no 20-year commitment after they arrive. <grin>

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2009, 07:33:54 AM »
LATE BREAKING NEWS!!!!!
Rec'd results of Naturalizations

Charles De Costello  born in Monivea Galway came into New York on or about July 4th, 1874
Sponsors Horace Briggs and Nathan Taylor

James Ellis born in county Leitrim and arrived in Boston the 18th day of May 1853 (? hard to read)
sponsors Artemas Hawes and Parker Holden

Now I'll try to find passenger stuff now that I have ports and dates.  Beryl will mail all of this to you tomorrow.    YAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! ;D

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »
James Ellis 19 May 1853 from Liverpool to Boston on the ship Windemere!!!!   check out other passengers for Ellis or Smith might be siblings or cousins!!   Drat!  I have to go back to work.  Drat! Drat!