Author Topic: Naturalization research  (Read 10550 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Naturalization research
« on: May 04, 2005, 02:01:28 AM »
Has anyone done any research at the worcester courthouse on naturalizations of Irish?  Will they let you look at all records, for example O'Connors?  I was impressed at the info that was on very early naturalizations (before 1850) that was published in the MASSOG.

worcmik

• Townie
Re: Naturalization research
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 08:18:38 AM »
Merski,
Do yo have handy your copy of the MASSOG naturalizations? I wonder if your could post the info on Michael Twoomey from 1846. I nice lady should be visiting this forum soon, and it would be nice if the info was waiting here for her. She could become a regular to the board.    Thanks, John

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:40:01 AM »
Worcmik, I'd be happy to post this.  I was just looking at this info this afternoon during the snowstorm.

This work was done by a genealogical angel James M. Holmes from the Middlesex chapter of the MASSOG

#236 or page 236
Michael Twonny (sic) Worcester Naturalized 2 March 1846.  Born parish of Cork City Ireland 1810.  Age 35 Arrived Boston 1838. Intention March 1844,  Worcester.  residences Leicester, Worcester. Witnesses Josiah L. Lamb & Patrick Ferrell. (patrich Farrell  b. Middleton Co. Cork 1800 O'Flynn  died 1858 O'Flynn St. John cemetery)

other Twoomeys I found in my database

Michel Twoomey  Killeagh Co. Cork  1847 o'flyyn/Tatnuck and also an Invisible Immigrant/Powers
Bartholomew Toomay  ____, Co. Cork  1859 St. Johns cemetary  Coens co. cork ae 79  wife Mary 1860 ae65 and children brother to Jeremiah?
Mary Twomey (sister Ellen) Bantry co.Cork SMF 1858  (relative to Barth.?)

Hope this helps!

whichzelda

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 02:47:30 PM »
Thank you so much Merski and Worcmik.....Yes, this is my Michael Twoomey,Toomey,Twonney etc.   Such different spellings but the same person from Killeagh County Cork as that is what was etched on his headstone by his sons Edmund and William.  Michael and his wife Ellen Forrest Twomey passed in 1847.  And thank you John for the nice compliment.  I will be visiting this site often in my search for the ever elusive Flanagans, Flannigans, Flanegans etc. 

Barb Knox

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 09:25:56 AM »
There was a "Mrs. Twomey", I can't recall her first name, who owned several apartment houses in Worcester...  She owned the big one at 14 Oread Street (five floors, ten apartments), next door at 18 Oread Street (one house in front, one in back and garages), 11 King Street, 3 Becket Street and probably several others.  She came by bus and foot to collect rent and she had to be in her 70's in the mid 60's.  We lived in several of her places from around 1949-1966.

Barb Knox

whichzelda

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 05:20:30 AM »
Thank you so much for the infor on Mrs. Twomey.  I will be sure to ask my mother and aunts if my uncle Leo's Mom owned property in the city or if they knew of any Twomey relatives that did. :)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 03:14:29 AM »
You can look up naturalizations for Worcester at the WPL and get the information in the form of an index card.  I then contacted the National Archives in Waltham.  You can send in a check or call in a credit card # and they will mail out the photocopes of the document.  It was only about $8 so one or two records I think is well worth the money rather than the drive to Waltham.  You need to know the details for your specific naturalization as they do not do the research.  Great resource!

patm3115

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 03:36:51 PM »
That is good information. Is this an easy resource to use?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 02:04:18 AM »
Ay the WPL there is an index on microfilm.  First you have to convert the last name of your ancestor to soundex.  There is a conversion book.  Find the right roll of film to go with the soundex.  Scan until you find the card that matches the birth year or address of the ancestor and copy out all the pertinent infomation.  That is what you'll give them at Waltham.  I had to call them with my credit card number (or you can send a check by mail).  It was virtually painless!.

Quinsig

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 08:36:52 AM »
I was wondering if you have any info on Dominick ODowd born around 1820 died around 1860 came to usa through boston and settled in hopkinton then worcester around 1845 or 6

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 01:53:55 AM »
Quinsig, we can try to help you.  It would be best if you posted in this board under a new discussion topic and listed it as DOWD.  I think I read somewhere there are variations of the name...Deady Dea and Dowd may all be variations of the same surname but you should check that out.  Worcmik has the tatnuck burial records and may be able to look to see if there were any early burials for this family.  Really,,,do a new posting and see what happens

patm3115

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 09:41:14 PM »
Hello everyone,
I took your advice and requested naturalization records from WPL, very helpful and a great resource! I was looking for records for Patrick Sweeney and found the closest match to the criteria I had. Unfortunately,  it is not the most unique name, I know there was at least 1 other Patrick Sweeney who lived in Worcester and was about the same age, and thus  I am not 100% I have the right record for the right Patrick.
Anyway, here is my question, in going over the records, I find that Anthony Parsons is one of the witnesses to his naturalization. In your knowledge, do you think these witnesses are a good lead, some one who had a close relationship to the person being naturalized?

I really appreciate any input anyone might have on this, or any other leads to follow in order to confirm this is my guy. As a student, I am thankful for how helpful this board has been in the past given the limited resources and knowledge I have about about the subject.

Thank you in advance,
Patrick