Author Topic: Michael Kane - Leicester, Worcester and Underhill, Vermont - Update  (Read 6138 times)

EPB2020

• Just Moved Here
Thanks for all your help with this in the past.  I do think that Michael Kane's son Owen married Catherine O'Neill in 1873 in Worcester.  His first wife, Ellen Shanley, died in Underhill, Vermont in 1872 and he was left with a small son.  He moved back to Worcester.   Thomas the son married Katie Nolan in Worcester on September 29, 1898.  The marriage of Owen and Catherine O'Neill does not appear to have been uneventful, if you read the Worcester papers available on genealogybank.com. 

My interest in this family is somewhat tangential as Michael Kane married the widowed sister in law of my great great grandfather.  I am, however, always interested in the whole "chain of migration" concept and my ancestors came from Kiltoghert, Leitrim.  I suspected that Michael Kane had a Leitrim connection.  I received his naturalization papers and he became a citizen on September 26, 1853 at the Court of Common Pleas, Worcester.  He was from Leicester, formerly of Worcester.  He arrived in the US on July 16, 1847 at Boston.  My own Leitrim ancestor arrived in June the same year at Burlington, Vermont - so he came through Canada.  Birthday: October 20, 1810.

My question is about exactly where he is from.  The naturalization record states: "Killturbersitt" Leitrim.  I can't find a townland with that name or anything reasonably close.  There are two parishes with names that might fit:  Kiltoghert or Kiltubbrid - these two abut.  My great great grandmother's grave has Killtaughart on it.  Has anyone else seen anything like Killturbersitt? 

Thank you - you have always been so generous with your time and talents.  I included the specific information about this family so that if someone who is actually related comes upon this site, they will be able to have a headstart.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Michael Kane - Leicester, Worcester and Underhill, Vermont - Update
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 06:55:02 AM »
Why not go to a county Leitrim discussion board to see if anyone can help.  I know that the English phonetically transcribed the names from irish language so that could be what's going on.  Also if you can enlarge and scan the writing of that townland and provide a link, maybe someone who's familiar with 19th century cursive may have another idea what was written.  Good luck!

worcmik

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 08:47:31 PM »
I am curious about the "event" that was the marriage between Kate O'Neill and Owen Kane, as the O'Neill's are one of my interests. A summery perhaps.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 05:16:34 AM »
Are these the "fightin O'neil's" one of whom married Richard O'Flynn.  Article I read on genealogybank said that they were living apart and there was a barn fire which killed animals inside and burned about $2000 worth of damage, no insurance.  Wife thought she saw a man around the barn who looked like her estranged husband.  Paper hinted that he might have set the fire.  Wife and son recant story afterwards.

EPB2020

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:28:23 AM »
I did post a similar request on the Leitrim-Roscommon Bulletin Board.  So far, no responses.  Thank you for your interest.  Wish I knew more about the Leitrim-Worcester connection as Leitrim is (and was) something of an out of the way place in Ireland and yet somehow they were able to get out even in those early days.

I don't know a whole lot about the O'Neill family other than what I read in a book online:
http://books.google.com/books?id=enUrAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA4-PA131-IA2&lpg=RA4-PA131-IA2&dq=o'neill+Ireland+worcester,+ma&source=bl&ots=7YuOZedxTw&sig=dcUtfry7DItHuWSiQj2AiL9iIUk&hl=en&ei=tZA0TKLFB8G88gbG2YDJCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CCgQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

I do believe that Catherine Kane (Katie) wife of Owen M. was the daughter of Charles O'Neill.  Her mother's name is listed as Mary.  She married Owen July 29, 1873.  (Mass Archives: 1873 vol. 255   p. 362).  His parents: Michael and Mary Kane. It was his 2nd marriage, her first.  I found a record for his first marriage at St. Thomas Church, Underhill, Vermont.   His first wife, Ellen Shanley, was born in Underhill, Vt.  Her father's family came from Leitrim to Vermont sometime in the 1820-1830 time frame. 

Catherine O'Neil Kane died in Worcester on June 5, 1909 (Mass Archives: 1909   Vol. 106 p. 36).  Father: Charles O'Neil, Mother: Bridget Reily.  She was born in Worcester.   Lived in Kane Square.  Husband: Owen M. Kane.

This may explain the connection between Underhill, Vermont and Worcester, Ma.
According to Vincent Feeney, author of Pre-Famine Irish in Vermont:
"Each winter bands of Underhill men would put to-
gether a few belongings, kiss their loved ones goodbye, and trek down to Worcester, Massachusetts, not to return until spring." www.vermonthistory.org/journal/74/04_Feeney.pdf
Other families in Underhill moved from Worcester to Underhill or vice versa.

Some new articles of interest:

The event that I read about is the barn fire and there seem to have been some additional stories about their marriage:

1895-09-17; Paper: Worcester Daily Spy
Assault on wife - Catherine Kane.  They have lived apart since last February.  Taken every opportunity to abuse his wife and family.
Fined $20.

Incendiary Work Four Cows and Horse Burned with a Farm Barn Property of Owen M. Kane Wife Accuses    (News Article)
Date: 1897-02-05; Paper: Worcester Daily Spy -

The Kane Fire Eugene Kane Explains Why He Could Not Save the Stock    (News Article)
Date: 1897-02-08; Paper: Worcester Daily Spy
Eugene Kane (son) explains - mother does not believe father set fire.

If you are interested in the O'Neills - here is a related item about an in law:
Date: 1896-08-06; Paper: Worcester Daily Spy
Mary O'Reilly died - August 5, 1896. location: home of Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Carroll - 116 Canterbury St.   Lived in Worcester long before there was a Catholic Church.
Aunt of: Mrs. Owen Kane of Quinsigamond;  William Reilly - Cherry Valley. 
From the NEHGS - her parents: Patrick O'Reilly, Mary Callan.

If I come across anything else, I'll post it.  The old article about the O'Neills is fascinating, if it is true.