Author Topic: Rev. M. W. Gibson  (Read 4649 times)

worcmik

• Townie
Rev. M. W. Gibson
« on: January 04, 2006, 12:47:05 PM »
         Much can be learned about Rev. Mathew W. Gibson. Richard O'Flynn (*the grandfather of many sources) mentions him leaving the city "never to return," or something like that.
        Church histories don't say much, but it is understood that he came to Worcester in the spring of 1845. He became pastor of Christ's Church after Fr. Williamson, who had taken over after Fr. Fitton.
[Using the data about the early marriages by Christ's Church, we see Father Fitton records marriages from 8/7/1833 to 10/2/1843. Fr Williamson from 10/21/1843 to 2/2/1845, (just before lent?). Fr. Gibson records his second on April 5, 1845 (he had one in Nov. 1844), and continued throught the point that Christ's Church was surpressed and St. John's was dedicated: June 24, 1846. By 1850, he'd joined in Matromony over 400 couples. Fr. Boyce started recording marriages in the register in Nov. 1847.  In a return, Boyce reports to the town clerk that he is "Pastor, St. John's Church." This is significant because it shows him as a co-pastor of the church. One source has Gibson comming on April 6, 1845, that is the same source that has him as the associate to the Pastor: Fr. Gibson.]
    Fr. Gibson was not well recieved...yada yada yada, butt heads with parrishoners over the building of the new church, denounced secret societies eventually, in the spring of 1847 folks petition for his removal, citing violations of the confessional that sort of thing...  a mob supossibly after Tobey Boland, turn their attention to Rev. Gibson, he leaves by rail... to Boston and the Bishop. Lots of trouble for the secret societies, yada yada.  Fr. Boyce was sent to help ease tentions with the Irish. There after, I am sure there were plenty in the area that considered Boyce their Pastor. Fr. Gibson left in ?... 1856, as I remember. I had better stop there as I am writting by memory and I can add to this post after I refresh my memory. Or Better yet... Anyone want to finnish the story?
John
*I will save, for some future post, my thoughts on secondary sources of information about the Irish in and around Worcester.

worcmik

• Townie
Re: Rev. M. W. Gibson
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 05:21:17 AM »
Fr. Gibson had a son, John. According to Worcester's death records: John Gibson, male, age: 5 months, died Nov. 22, 1849, interred in the Tatnuk Burial ground, residence; Hubbardston, parents: "Adopted son of Mathew W. Gibson."
couldn't be all bad, huh? J

worcmik

• Townie
Re: Rev. M. W. Gibson
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:29:54 PM »
Correction:  "residence" was left empty, the "birth place" column says Hubbardston.

Amplification: I was not being sarcastic when I said he couldn't be all bad. Whether John was a foundling, given up, orphaned, whatever, Fr. Gibson took over his care, if not physically (I don't know either way), financially, (Gibson, being a Catholic priest, didn't take a vow of poverty. He was going to become a Jesuit, and he would have had to. If he had he would not have been a pastor of any church, as they must be able to conduct business  etc.). Even if it was obvious that the boy wasn't to live long (ie. cost less), there is something to be said for the man who adopted him.
john