Author Topic: Does anyone know where I can look to find out if a relative legally changed our  (Read 4360 times)

drourke

• Just Moved Here
Based on information and advice I received from members of this site I have made good progress in my attempts to learn more about the ROURKE FAMILY of Worcester.

But once again I seemed to have hit a brick wall and need help.  Through the NEHGS Vital Records I have discovered that my great-grandfather is John O'Rourke and that he was married to Catherine and they were both born in Ireland.  My grandfather was born (1861) and married (1882) as Michael J. O'Rourke but all of his children starting with Walter (1884), Catherine, Lillian, Luella, William and Joseph are named Rourke. I need some advice on how to accomplish two things: first, how can I find out if my grandfather legally changed our name from O'Rourke to Rourke?; second, how can I trace my great-grandfather's ( John O'Rourke) roots back to a specific place in Ireland? So far I'm drawing blanks in both NEHGS and the Ancestry databases.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I have a hunch that most people with O' names legally changed them and just dropped the O'.  Worcmik, isn't the O' surname just the Irish version of the name.  I think this might be more common than you think.

worcmik

• Townie
I'd heard rumors that earlier on (before Michael O'Rourk's birth) some Irish in Worcester changed their names to sound less Irish. (Mack, Gill and Cuddy sound less Irish than McGillacuddy.) I found no proof, and we are talking about the 1880's.  Doesn't matter in this case, as Rourke, with or without the "E" at the end or an "O" in front, is pretty Irish. This may be merely a case of him assuming his common name on documents by the time his kids were born, but having to use his "official" name when he married, or the priest assumed he went by the same name as his father. I would wonder if the kids were O'Rourkes in church records. I doubt it. If he was raised a Rourke, son of a man who commonly went by Rourke, or chose to different his line from other (possibly unrelated) O'Rourkes, it wouldn't matter. Either way, I doubt he saw any need to legally change his name. Of course by the 1880's it may have been more common among the Irish to go through the legal system.
Those familes needs to be teased out, as I think there are unrelated families in the area.
As for the dropping of the "O," Richard O'Flynn spent his childhood as Richard Flynn.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
gheezz! I wish I could actually read my postings before I submit them!  I don't think anyone legally changed their names -that would cost money and I don't think that people were that upset about using variants of the name interchangeably on records.  Worcmik and I have seen inconsistencies in name spelling in the same families.  Nice posting...glad to see you are still connected with this site, worcmik.