Author Topic: Doulaugh?  (Read 6837 times)

patm3115

• Just Moved Here
Doulaugh?
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:44:49 PM »
Hi,

I recently found an WWII draft registration card on FamilySearch which seems to list the Birthplace as "Doulaugh, Ireland". I did I simple search and couldnt find out where/what it is. I was hoping with all the expertise I have seen on this forum someone might have an idea of where that is, or what it could be transcription error of? I appreciate any ideas,
Thanks,
Patrick

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Doulaugh?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:18:28 AM »
There are errors in transcription.  Don't forget the names were in irish (formerly called gaelic) wriien later in english phonetics.  There is a place called Duagh in kerry near the limerick border.  What's the family name?  Perhaps they are in my database.

patm3115

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 05:47:11 AM »
The family name was Gaughan, particularly this was Thomas Edward Gaughan of New Bedford. I believe he left Ireland relativly young, so this card would not have been filled out until many years later. Maybe its a rememberance error as well. I appreciate the Help any way.

Pat

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:48:12 AM »
Could it be Dooleeg Beg or Dooleg More; Crossmolina, County Mayo
It seems Gaughan's were coming from County Mayo, Ballina or Crossmolina listed.  Griffiths Valuation list Gaughan in Crossmolina, but not in Dooleg Beg or Dooleg More; but in the area.

Martha

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 08:38:57 PM »
I just found this site by doing a search for "Doulaugh" after finding the same record for Thomas Edward Gaughan that Pat found.  I am looking for a Thomas who was born ca. 1878-1879 in County Mayo.  His father was John Gaughan, mother unknown.  He came to the US (Boston) on the "Austrian" with his father, sister Catherine (age 2) and stepmother Mary (O'Connell, b. Belmullet, Co. Mayo), arriving 07 June 1883.  I still don't know where Doulaugh is, but would love to know if the rest of this info rings any bells.  Thanks!

cheryl

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 05:46:40 AM »
Martha & Pat,
I believe it might be Doolough that you are looking for and the children's mother's name could be Margaret Bourke.  If I am looking in the correct location, John Gaughan and Margaret Bourke married in 1877, may have had a son named Thomas in 1878, again in 1879 and daughter Catherine 1880.  There are three good possibilities on the death of Margaret Gaughan, 2 in 1881 & 1 1882.  The Mayo County library has a wonderful website with a link to the North Mayo Family History Centre where you can purchase these records; also available on Irish Family History Foundation, both of which you can play around with the church parish records and civil registration records to narrow down the search.  There is also a list on line of 1883 Emigration from County Mayo (google it) This lists people from County Mayo and their townland.  There are two John Gaughan from Doolough, Kiltane emigrating in 1883; among the others listed from Doolough two other families where on the Australian. 

Have either of you looked for naturalization records for John Gaughan or marriage records for Thomas or Catherine to obtain mother's name?  Thomas Edward Gaughan married New Bedford, 1906, 562-277.
Cheryl

patm3115

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 11:00:47 PM »
Yes! Cheryl, after I wrote this message I did some extensive googling. Doolough, Mayo became my best guess for the actual birthplace. There seemed to be some Gaughan family connections there, and even though I never found hard evidence... it just seemed to make sense. Good genealogy... probably not. A good starting point... yes. Thank you for the information Cheryl.  I will definitely look into it. I am doing this research for a friend, so I'm not not as knowledge about the details as I probably otherwise would be and I haven't spent a ton of time or energy researching. I have said it in the past, but using this forum is great, everyone is so willing to help each other out. Thank you.

Martha, I would be really interested in talking with you and sharing information. If you see this message feel free to respond here (I check in periodically) or email me directly at PBMcGr09(at)HolyCross.edu  I look forward to hearing from you.

Patrick