Author Topic: Dolans of Worcester  (Read 9753 times)

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dolans of Worcester
« on: March 19, 2006, 12:30:03 PM »
Helping to do research on Dolans in worcester.  Have reason to believe they were from Drumshanbo Leitrim.  Want to know if there are any people who knew them.

roy cavanaugh

• Just Moved Here
Re: Dolans of Worcester
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 02:19:46 PM »
Helping to do research on Dolans in worcester.  Have reason to believe they were from Drumshanbo Leitrim.  Want to know if there are any people who knew them.
Dolans from rutland ibelieve one named danny?

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 12:04:33 PM »
Lots of Priests in this family!  Garrett Dolan was rector of the R.C. church in webster

roy cavanaugh

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 03:04:33 PM »
The mother lives on pleasant st. across from petes place in a highrise.

EPB2020

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 08:34:50 PM »
This maybe a long shot - I do know of a family of John Dolan, born in Ireland, who married a Mary E. Boyle.  She was born in Worcester in 1870.  Her father, Daniel Boyle (sometimes Boylan) was born about 1844-48 in the Drumshanbo area of Leitrim.  I think that Daniel's aunt or great aunt - not sure which exactly (b. about 1814) came from near the townlands of Cornacranaghy and Moheracreevy Glebe - south of Drumshambo but also in Murhan parish of Kiltoghert.  She died in Marlborough in 1854.   

Mary E. had two brothers - John F. (a priest) and Thomas (a dr in Newark, NJ) as well as a sister Elizabeth.  Both brothers went to Holy Cross.  Her mother was an Eliza Farrell - I suspect Eliza was from Leitrim but not sure.  Eliza may have been related to Fr. James J. Farrell of Ascension Church.  The Dolans had four sons - Daniel (a dr. in NY), John F - Thomas (a banker in NY) and Vincent (died in NJ) born 1891-1905 in Worcester.  The father (John Dolan) was a butcher and they did live with her parents at one time - on Arlington St.  Then they lived at 155 Water in 1916.  I guess the big question is whether or not John Dolan is from Leitrim just because his father-in-law was?  John's parents - Patrick Dolan and Margaret.

This family is buried in St. John's - Section Speciosa - center. Eliza died in 1912, Daniel in 1919, John Dolan in 1933 and Mary E. in 1947.  I think John was naturalized - when I do not know.   I don't know if John had any relatives in Worcester but his obit might tell.   

Good luck.

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 03:18:25 AM »
 Although it is not much I do have one Dolan connection in my meandering Worcester Irish line.

Josephine "Josie" Dolan who was born in Rhode Island April 1852. She married Thomas F. Brady and had three children, John, William and Margaret in Worcester.

John went on to marry Francis Veronica Hoy who was the daughter of James Hoy and Mary Maroney,who would have been my husband's great uncle and aunt. Mary was his grandmother Margaret Maroney Curtin.

I honestly have not explored this branch of the family much-the Bradys -but I believe one of them became a sheriff in Worcester County.

corky3

• Been Around Awhile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 11:25:46 AM »
Back from Worcester and as you would have it one of my research subject's obituary was on the same page as a Mrs. Ellen Dolan, widow of Lawrence Dolan who died June 13, 1912.

All it states is that she was born in Ireland daughter of Gerald and Bridget (Kelleher) Mulvey. She had 5 sons, Rev. Garret H. and the Rev. James J. Dolan, paster and curate of St. Louis Church of Webster, Peter J. Charles and Edward F. Dolan of Worcester. Three daughters, Mary, wife of John N. Moore, Worcester, Ellen, wife of Thomas F. McGourty, Malden and Miss Alice Dolan of Worcester. The Rev. James P. Moore of the Springfield diocesan mission band and Police Surgeon John F. Moore are her grandsons.  She was one of the first members of the Church of the Immaculate Conception and had lived in Worcester for 60 years.  She was 90 at the time of her death.

BERNARD J. HEAVEY

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 12:11:38 PM »
A Bridget Dolan, married to a Michael Dolan, was my Grandfather's sister.  She used to be working t St. Bernard's Church.  Do not have all the info with me right now, but will be back tomorrow.

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 01:00:45 PM »
Bernard I know the person who is a relative to the Dolan obituary just mentioned.

Bernard Heavey

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 09:13:29 AM »
Bernard I know the person who is a relative to the Dolan obituary just mentioned.

"Are you related to the Dolan's or the Heavey's?  I tried to get information from St. Bernard's Church, but no answer to letters I sent.  

Bernie

merski

• Expert Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 09:21:33 AM »
It's Ellen Dolan who is related to Garrett Dolan.  Her obit is several abouve this last posting.  She had lots of priests in the family.  I helped a worcester dolan ancestor of hers to get info...I'm not related.