Author Topic: Water Street info and places info sought  (Read 5928 times)

TobeC

• Just Moved Here
Water Street info and places info sought
« on: November 12, 2006, 03:10:06 PM »
I am also a Worcester native...left for college in 1960..never lived there again, but my parents did stay, and until 1975 they lived on Vernon Hill.

I am a filmmaker and doing a documentary about former Worcester poet Stanley Kunitz, his boyhood home on Woodford St. which is the house ( and neighborhood) I grew up in. I discovered in 2003 that this was the same house that Pulitzer Prize winning poet (and former US Poet Laureate) Stanley Kunitz also grew up in.  If you read his poems, many are about this house, his growing up or searching for his father and are Worcester and area related.

I am collecting materials, and have interviewed 25 former East side resudents and am still looking for photos of Water Street, Workmen's Circle groups or lectures, or East Side Jewish community families and photos.  I have quite a few from families, the Worcester Historic Museum, Worcester Telegram and Gazette, but I would greatly appreciate any others that folks might want to offer. The film's name is "Stanley's House" and I can be contacted directly at video@hvc.rr.com.
Thanks in advance:
Tobe Carey

Barb Knox

• Just Moved Here
Re: Water Street info and places info sought
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 08:16:39 AM »
Ah, Water Street...one of my (and lots of other kids) first job was there at the deli (was it Weintraub's?) working behind the cheese counter.  And, there was an ice cream parlor across the street that I recall had killer hot fudge Sundays.  I use to walk from King Street to Water to go to work when I couldn't get a ride. 

Great bulkies at a Bakery there too...  My grandmother lived on Seymour Street and my aunt and uncle on Perry Avenue.  Quite a colorful area.

Barb

TobeC

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 05:38:10 PM »
Ah, Water Street...one of my (and lots of other kids) first job was there at the deli (was it Weintraub's?) working behind the cheese counter.  And, there was an ice cream parlor across the street that I recall had killer hot fudge Sundays.  I use to walk from King Street to Water to go to work when I couldn't get a ride. 

Great bulkies at a Bakery there too...  My grandmother lived on Seymour Street and my aunt and uncle on Perry Avenue.  Quite a colorful area.

Barb

Any family photos of the area? The ice cream store was probably (and still is) the Broadway.

Barb Knox

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 06:41:11 AM »
Rereading the post - the deli/store wasn't Weintraubs, but something else and, yes, the ice cream store was the Broadway.  I have no pictures, only memories. 

Barb

TobeC

• Just Moved Here
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 01:56:33 PM »
another well know deli was Slonimsky and Ritz...competitor to Weintraubs.